I can't say enough about how thoughtful and accommodating the Eden's Edge proprietors are -- Chris and Liz are frequently around and about on the property, chatting with guests, laughing, and dispensing travel advice. At the front desk, they sell eggs from their on-site chickens.
The property feels like a little oasis with its swimming pool, green lawn, and barbecue grill. The grounds are well-maintained, and the plantings are delightfully heterogeneous -- raspberries, poppies, strawberries, lavender, grapes and a fig tree among other things.
The facilities are clean and well-maintained, particularly the communal kitchen area. I was pleased with the number and variety of dishes, pans, and utensils on hand. My kids loved the chess and checkers set up on the coffee table in the lounge area.
Location is great for driving to either Abel Tasman (via Marahau) or Motueka. The property is situated amongst apple orchards, and this lends to the feeling of being in a green oasis.
My only two concerns were the following:
(1) The orchards next to the property were being sprayed on one morning while we were there. When we saw the orchardist driving the tractor was covered in head-to-toe protective gear including a mask, we couldn't help but wonder what we were breathing in the air. It would have been nice to have some sort of forewarning about the spraying.
(2) This is an annoyance rather than a problem, per se, but the power-outlet in our room was on an auto-timer that only stays on for an hour at a time. The owner informed me that this was due to fire-code requirements. The trouble with this is that if you're charging something that takes more than one hour (e.g., cell phone, tablet, computer) you've got to keep turning the power back on. This made it difficult to charge my cell phone overnight, as I am accustomed to doing.
On the balance, however, I have to say that we loved Eden's Edge and will remember our stay fondly. I should also add that something about the place seems to attract the nicest guests -- really a nice mix of families, younger backpackers, and seasoned travelers and all very pleasant to share space with.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eden's Edge Lodge is a boutique, self-catering large with excellent reviews. It's small, purpose-built and on a large and peaceful rural property, just minutes from the local town of Motueka. Our guests rave about our local scenery and all the local trips and activities they can enjoy. When they come home to us, they know they can rest, relax and re-fresh in a beautiful setting, with well-designed facilities and peaceful atmosphere. We do not cater for large bus groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Eden's Edge Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eden's Edge Lodge Motueka, New Zealand - Nelson-Tasman