See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 October 2015

While visiting my family in Maceio, my husband and I took a couple of days to spend at this wonderful hotel. The property is absolutely beautiful, the staff very kind and accommodating. The food is also very good and our room was beautiful and well appointed. The only improvement would be to have some of the staff have basic knowledge of English and Spanish. I speak Portuguese so it wasn't a problem for me but my husband doesn't and certainly wouldn't have been able to communicate if I wasn't around. I had to help a couple from Argentina while ordering breakfast since no one spoke Spanish. I would definitely return on my next trip to Maceio.

Room tip: All the rooms have the same view, I don't find necessary to pick a more luxury room since you spend so little time in there.
Date of stay: September 2015
Reviewed 8 October 2014

We spent 3 nights at Gungaporanga to celebrate my Birthday. Couldn´t have chosen a better place!
I had chosen the State of Alagoas, due to its beautiful beaches and incomparable Green Ocean in Brazil. But had no idea that our stay at Gungaporanga would be so pleasant!
The hotel is located in a private property that belongs to the owner´s family, who takes an amazing care of the hotel. Each detail is special. From decoration, to gardens, staff training, etc. Everything is perfect, on a simple, not sumptuous way.
For some reason that I can´t explain, hotel is settled in such a way that even if you decide to spend all day in it, you will not feel bored at all! Usually, I don´t care much about TV rooms at hotels, for instance, but even that has gained my sympathy at Gungaporanga.
The pool area is a dream place, type of Paradise, with an amazing view of the Lagoa do Roteiro, the beach Gunga and the ocean. As soon as you choose a seat at the pool area, someone from the bar will leave a menu and a bell on the table next to you. A sauna beautifully located at the pool can be turned on under request.
However, if you decide to visit the area outside hotel, you will not regret your choice either. We had a car rented and went to praia do Gunga, to take a buggy ride to the Cliffs. Had lunch at the other beach, Barra do Sao Miguel. If you are not with a car, the hotel staff will be pleased to help arrange a tour for you, including boat rides, visit to oyster farm, etc.
On another day, we took a one hour walk down to the beach in the hotel´s property. Someone from the hotel staff guided us. As a real tourist guide, he told us everything about the area.
About rooms. All bungalows have the same view you have from the pool area. The simplest ones, called Luxo, don´t have Jacuzzi. The master ones, which we could visit one morning, have private pools, a larger Jacuzzi and a living room. In our case, we were more than happy with our Super Luxo. L`Occitane amenities replaced every day, robes, good towels, a Jacuzzi by the window (and that view!), comfortable beds and linen (missed a softer pillow, though…).
About restaurant: we loved breakfast. It is served on our tables, in 3 steps: fruits and juices, baked goods and yogurts, hot meals. The staff, as usual, is very kind and tries to reach all our wishes. The main dishes at dinner were included in our rates. We did not have the best experiences with our orders. Salads were good, but main dishes were not as good. The wine list is good. Worthy mention: I got a heart shaped delicious cake for my Birthday dinner <3
There is also a small gym in place, which is a plus for the affectionates ;-)

Free wifi worked perfectly in all areas.

For foreigner travelers who do not speak Portuguese, communication may be an issue. But, as every foreigner who has already visited Brazil, you will see that Brazilians usually do everything possible to understand and be understood.

Room tip: All rooms are quiet and have the same views. Difference is only the jacuzzi and in the case of the Master room, the private pool and living room. Prices differs, so choice is yours ;-) Try to arrive before sunset. Location is kind hidden, so it is better if you drive during the day, unless you have a transfer hired.
Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Gungaporanga H, Gerente de relações públicas at Gungaporanga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2014

Hello, lenamaxi. We loved to hear about your experience here. Thank you for taking time to share it with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Regards, Gungaporanga Staff.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The hotel is located on the hill allowing a astonished view of the Barra de São Miguel from the pool and all rooms. The breakfast is good and the quality of the food in the restaurant for dinner is excellent. Good service, clean room and friendly people.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Gungaporanga H, Gerente de relações públicas at Gungaporanga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Hello, RBRCuritiba. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your experience here. We hope to see you again soon.

Regards, Gungaporanga Staff.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We spent one week in Maceio for new year's. We did not stay in the Gungaporanga hotel this time but thought this could be a wonderful option for our next trip without the children. One day, on our way back from the famous Gunga beach we thought we could have a look at the hotel to see the amenities.

Unfortunately, we had a terrible experience. We were stopped at the gate and told directly that because we had children we would not be allowed in the hotel. We explained that we only wanted to have a quick look and that the kids would be staying in the car. Because we were insisting the person at the gate called the manager but again they would not let us in. This time the reason was that the hotel was full.

If this is an insight of the treatment given to the guests I am not going to stay in this hotel ever. We have traveled all over the world with my wife and have never been treated like that before.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank Eorillard
Gungaporanga H, Public Relations Manager at Gungaporanga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hi, Mr. Eorillard

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our hotel’s policy, however, does not allow children under 14 years old. The local topography is not adequate for them and we also focus on maintaining a quiet environment. We apologize for any lack of communication and we will keep working to improve it to provide the best service to our guests.

Regards,

Gungaporanga Staff.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

My husband and I spent 4 days in this hotel and what I can say is that we pretend to come back here as soon as we can! The hotel has a beautiful view, the rooms are very comfortable, the staff is very kind and the food is delicious. We had the feeling that the hotel staff think of every detail t make your stay the best possible. It was the nicest experience for a very fair price. I strongly recommend this place!

Date of stay: February 2013