“The Good The Bad And The Horrible”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Vancouver, Canada
“The Good The Bad And The Horrible”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The Good

The hotel is about 5 mins away from the airport and that there was not that long drive to the hotel. There was welcoming music as you checked into your hotel at the service desk some people where handing out drinks. The resort was at full capacity The Food was pretty tasty in the buffet I could say we never went hungry. The Beach at our resort was amazing we were lucky for the time of year.

The Bad
Ok now where do I start..... First I found that No one was very helpful with getting your bags around with out their hand deep in your pocket for a 10 or 5 peso note... Once you gave that money out you would get some attention for your luggage. So we all got settled down in our rooms... So what would be the first Thing you would want to do.... Ahh the Bar.... Once again The Day Bartender Staff were really extremely rude!!!! Wow what a great feeling to be in your wonderful hotel.... The worst Bartender was Addel and The guy who has Glasses Named Remon or something. I bet there are alot of Cuban's who would cut off their right Arm to have this job... I also found when you went to the disco at night the Bartender was watching TV I had to wait 15 min's to get a Drink I did not cat call nor whistle to get his attention. The Guy was fully focused on The Baseball game and did not give a hoot about serving his customers. Just because there are 3 major hotels in cayo largo and for some reason you happen to fall into first place does not make it ok for the hotel staff to be complete @sses.

The Horrible

The best I have seen staff members Picking their noses and then serving customers during the lunch hour's. At the lunch restaurant where you get the pizza's. I remember seen one guy named Orly That did this 3 times during my Stay. I find that disgusting and One of the main reasons I would never go back nor will I mention anything good about this hotel. For all I would noticed that the staff where very worn out and Miserable and angry and they rubbed it on the guest at the hotel. I found when you politely asked for something it was always questioned and Looked like it was a massive burden to these Over Tipped Over paid whiny little @sses that cared only if you dropped them a 20 cuc or a 50 cuc tip. I will never return to this hit hole of a hotel nor will I tell my worst enemy to pay a visit to this poor Customer Service Hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a second floor Bungalow
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
12 Thank Tommy B
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Dear Mrs,
We really appreciate your opinion that you have published on Trip Advisor. It is important to know your experiences to improve our work and services.
I would like to apologize for not being able to cover your expectations especially for some staff´s attitudes not according with the courtesy we used to give in Sol Cayo Largo which by the way it has been through years a strong characteristic. We are going to analyze besides other important details. Thank you once more for let us know your impressions.
Best regards

Thomas Lehnhooff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 21 October 2011

This is our third visit to Cayo Largo, it won’t be our last, we have the bug! First time at the Sol Cayo Largo. Previously we have stayed at the Sol Pelicano and the Playa Blanca and can now see first hand why the SCL consistently ranks number one on Trip Advisor and has the mostly glowing reviews. Our goal when we come to CL is to bask in the sun, wear as little clothing as possible, take long languorous walks on the beach, relax and rejuvenate. We won’t offer comment on things that don’t matter to us when we go to Cayo Largo: things like entertainment, partying, nightlife. Regardless of the hotel we always strive to overlook the negatives and focus on our objective. Having said that we do take notes and make comparisons. This was our first experience in the low season, so some observations may be tempered by that. We are guessing the hotel was half to 2/3 full at the most. The Playa Blanca was the only other resort open.

We arrived on time and were the first off the plane, through customs and retrieved our bags very quickly. Tip: exchange your money at the airport, they give the best rate. The SCL and Pelicano do not have Bancos, but you get dinged converting at the front desk. Check in at the hotel went smoothly, bags were delivered to our room right away. We emailed a few days ahead and requested a quiet second floor room near the beach and wow, were we ever happy we did. We were given room 3323 which had a partial view of the ocean, spectacular! The mattress was pretty good. Sheets and towels, old and well worn but clean. Always hot water. AC worked well unless it was raining (see below). Very close to the buffet and lobby as well. Took a stroll right away - the grounds, landscaping and layout beautifully incorporate the uneven terrain and rock outcroppings. The bridge to the beach on the west side is quite striking, it meanders over the dunes to the beach, is well maintained but has no guardrails, which can be unnerving as at one point there is about a 6 foot drop on either side.

The beach was short directly in front of the Ranchon, but quite wide to the east and west. We stayed to the west. We always had our choice of palapas and the beach guy was always helpful setting us up no matter what time of day we arrived. The ocean was hot, hot, hot. Our first experience of a calm Caribbean was sublime. We watched barracudas hunting right up to the edge of the surf not 10 feet way, really cool. At dawn walk saw spectacular cloud formations and even a waterspout! We experienced the most spectacular sunsets to the west.

There was only one taxi servicing the entire island, which did hamper our access to the western beaches, we waited and ultimately gave up after waiting an hour a couple of times. The train driver did make a special trip at the end of the day for us for 4 pesos, but in high season, the taxis are numerous and competitive.

The buffet is open air concept, which meant quite a few cats. The food was quite good and plentiful, although not a great range of fresh vegetables. Beef was surprisingly good. Pasta was excellent. Breakfasts were great - pancake and omelette stations, fresh fruit and pastries, excellent. The a la carte restaurant was mediocre by comparison (we only had the one option). The pool snack bar was quite good, nice variety of sandwiches, burgers, fries and pizzas. The beach Ranchon was mediocre. Previous posters had complained of flies on the open food. We noticed they were using smudge pots and keeping food covered with saran wrap to keep them at bay. Mosquitos were noticeable only in the evening, but not a big problem for us, possibly because we didn’t hang out outside at night. They did fog nightly before dinner. The lobby bar was small but never overcrowded and the issue with the TV has been resolved - a nice potted plant occupies its former location and staff were efficient and attentive.

Day four of our week, the weather turned. Spectacular intermittent thunder showers turned to a full blown tropical system for our last 2 days. What a contrast. We watched the previously bone dry restaurant fountain fill to overflowing and all out flood the low paths. The rain was intense. Kudos to the hard working staff to keep hotel functioning in the monsoon - we had a soggy lunch by the pool on our last day, a river ran right through the middle of the tables, the waiters happily rolled up their pants and splashed through the torrents to keep us served. This was our first experience with any rain at all in CL. Our room leaked down one wall quite a bit (our maid was nice to give us extra towels to staunch the flow and use as mops.) The rain also caused a short in our AC unit which meat the circuit breaker went off continually and we had no power until it let up. Not a big deal.

To sum up, we agree with the majority of the reviews. The Sol Cayo Largo is the number 1 resort on the island. The staff were very friendly, hard working and gave great service. We can’t wait to return in April. We definitely have the Cayo Largo bug!

5 Thank Hardesign
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen for you many times, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel and we are really sorry we didn’t reach all your expectative, we have readied carefully your comments and we will work harder in order to improve continuously to satisfy our clients .
It will be a great pleasure for us to receive you once again for delight the wonders beaches and sunsets in Cayo Largo,
At your disposal

Strathroy, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2011

nice place to just relax, very little for entertainment. hold nice weddings. some items that need improvement: paths need lighting, rooms leaked in the rain, more daily entertainment. beach was ok. staff and service was good. grounds kept very clean. overall was an ok vacation. dont think will be going back anytime soon

Room Tip: if you want an ocean view you need to get a top floor room
2 Thank poolbar88
Dear Mrs,
We would like to thank you for feedback about your vacations in our hotel.
We have taken note about some details that you kindly have let us know,it is very important for our daily performance.

We will be honored if you decided to come back to Sol Cayo Largo or in other hotel of Sol Meliá Cuba.
Regards,

Laval, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Was there from Sept 25-Oct. 2nd after an 8 year absence. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was maintained, with great air conditioning, hot water and beautiful grounds.I was also pleasantly surprised with a repeat client dinner and a good reception. I must say that the only thing which disappointed me I was promised a room close to the beach but was given one the furthest that existed. Although, I need the exercise, I did not complain as everything was functional in the room and did not want to comprise this. I was told the hotel was full but how can one say such a thing to someone(a repeat Melia client) when its off season, despite this lie I was able to relax, suntan and the service improved tremendously as the week went on.Loved it but would go again in the dry season as I did get bit by mosquitos and black flies.Maybe this was just me!I Would have loved to meet some of the management as I have in other Melia's or Sol chains but none come around nor socialize with the guests., its as if they did not exist or they just don't like talking to clients.Anyways it was just for a big
Thank you to all and hope to see you again!!!

Room Tip: Do bring Polysporin triple action, the brown gold package because you never know!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Smilemonalisa
Dear client,
Thank you for choose our hotel once again and letting us know your impressions about your recently stay in Sol Cayo Largo.
We would like you to accept apologizesv for can not accommodate your request room near the beach.
We would be honoured if you decide return to our hotel in the future and will be pleased in greet you in person.

Kingston Ontario
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Sol Club Cayo Largo
I just returned from Sol Club (Sep 26 – Oct 3) and it was a great trip.
First thing I recommend is that if you are going to travel during hurricane season book as late as possible and use www.weather.com for extended forecast and www.stormpulse.com for a nice graphical hurricane tracker. I start following these sites a month or two before so that I can practice predicting how storms will develop. This season the storms were missing the islands for the most part and spinning off into the Atlantic. I traveled between Ophelia and Philippe and we had beautiful weather, 31 and sunny each day except for the day we arrived and the day we left, both of which had some rain.
My next comment for those travelling from Toronto, be aware that there is a stop in Santiago de Cuba where you will be on the ground for approx 1 hr. The trip back is direct from Cayo Largo
Since Cayo Largo is so small the trip to the resort is about 5 mins or so. This is a bonus!
Cayo Largo is not a developed island except for the airport, about 5 resorts (only two were open when we went) and the “Marina” which is the area where the staff live along with a few stores, restaurant, bar, Marina, etc. As a result there is lots of wild life around, including insects. At this time of the year flies and mosquitoes are around. Be prepared! Open air venues like the Buffet have flies. This was probably the worst aspect of the location. I would hope they might get trays with lids which would limit the flies access to the food. The best way to avoid the flies, eat at the Al la carte or order food that has to be cooked (pasta station, meat station, snack bar)
We never went hungry at the resort however I wouldn’t say it was the best culinary experience I ever had. I did not like the Al a Carte (International Night), so I went to the buffet every night. That is fine by me. The snack bar was a nice option for lunch over the buffet. Rancheon, a buffet down by the beach, opened a couple of days before we left. Unfortunately we didn’t make it there as we were at Sirena Beach until after it closed both days. One thing I like at the buffet, at breakfast, was the fact that Frank sautéed the omelette ingredients. I have never had another resort do that without asking.
Service at the resort was awesome, except for one person. Annia and Yusimi were great at the buffet. Angel was great at the pool bar. Julio and Osmany were favs at the lobby bar. The one person who rarely cracked a smile was Alberto at the Fun Pub. This might be due to him being on his own, a second bartender might have cheered him up!
The rooms are OK. We had to MacGyver the shower so that it didn’t drop but that was achieved by tying the plastic from the glasses in the room together and tying the shower head to the top of the vertical rail. That held up all week. The shower didn’t have a ton of pressure but it was OK. Other than that the room was fine. It was nice that one room key was programmed for the safe. Made for easy operation. There is a 110V plug in the bathroom for charging low wattage devices. There is not an abundance of plugs in the room so hair strengtheners etc are tough to operate near the mirrors.
The pools are nice. They do have a vinyl liner which is in need of repair. It was clean though. Swim up bar was great. Our late afternoon rendezvous spot to meet our friends Roger, Catherine and Neil, Norm and Heather, and Jonathon and Amanda. The seats being out of the water and the depth of the pool at the bar being shallow was a bit strange but in the end I think it was better as I think people are less likely to sit there for hours without visiting the washroom. The resort uses plastic glasses and they are tiny. I highly recommend bringing your own mug. It is actually much better because your drink will stay cold, it is easier for the bartender to work with over a flimsy cup (especially for Mojitos) , and the drink tastes better because it isn’t just rum and ice with a splash of mix.
I have left the best for last … the beaches! Off the resort the beach was beautiful, and was relatively calm while we were there. Sirena, though, was amazing. Great snorkeling, beautiful sand, warm turquoise waters. Even a spot to see the dolphins there where they offer Swim with the Dolphins (behind the restaurant). The trolley to Sirena is an experience. If you don’t like it then a taxi (bus) is cheap at 2 Cucs each way per person and a bit quicker trip back to the resort.
Last bit of advice, keep in mind one plane from Toronto per week (in Oct anyway). There were two planes from Montreal. All the other guests were from Argentina, Europe, and Russia. This basically means that if you are English speaking only you will be a minority and you may have limited number of guests to talk with. I am sure this varies week to week but the people we met were all from our flight. This was fine as we met a great group of new friends.
Things I missed …. Perhaps for next time there.
- Turtle Farm (closed when we were there)
- Release of Turtles at the resort (check the board where the tour reps sit for times)
- Racheon Restaurant
- Horseback Riding
- Visit Playa Blanca (no one is banded on Caya Largo so you can visit the other resort)
- Party at the Marina on Saturday Night

Room Tip: Second Floor - Less chance of unwanted guests in the room. Better view of th...
4 Thank Resort_Guy
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen for you, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel and really appreciated your comments in the web site Trip Advisor .
Also we will let know to the buffet staff mainly Mr Frank your positive comments about their good job.
It will be a great pleasure to receive you once again and that you can enjoy the atraccciones of the island, nature, virgin beaches and cuban holidays with us.

Montreal
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We travelled (two couples) to Cayo Largo at the end of September 2011. The Sol Cayo Largo (4*) is the best resort on the island to my opinion. But again this is Cuba so you can't compare to other resorts in south destinations. If you wish to relax, read, suntan... this is paradise on earth. The rooms are simple but very clean. Hot water Ok, AC ok. Tv with cable. Not too old compare to other resorts in Cuba. The food and drinks are acceptable. The night shows are very good for a small resort. The pool is really nice. Again this place is very good to relax, if you're burned out, for retirees, nudists (nudist section of the beach) or gays (a lot of gays travelled there). I absolutely loved this resort because I wanted someting quiete. Not much action there. This is a really really good spot for diving. Nice coral reaf to the right section of the beach in front of the hotel. A train can bring you free to two other beautiful beaches. There is a disco at the marina. Overall this is a really safe place to travel. I absolutely loved it but my priority when I travel is the beach not the food or drinks. To my opinion the most beautiful beach I've seen so far but not much palm trees. It remind me a little of Cape Cod for the sand dunes and luminosity of the place. I recommend it, very good value for the price.

Room Tip: Chose the second floor for the high ceilings not too close from the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frazoo
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear client,
It is a pleasure to receive your comments about your stay in Sol Cayo Largo. We are pleased to know your positive opinion about our hotel. Our clients and theirs satisfaction are our main objective and that’s why we fight for it every day.
We will be honored if you decided to come back to Sol Cayo Largo
Regards,
Thomas Lehnhoff
Directeur Général
Ottawa
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This is our 8th time to Cuba and 2nd time to Sol Cayo Largo. We came back because the price in off-season was insane at $549/taxes in from YUL!

We travelled from Sept 11 to 19th. Very late arrival and departure but we knew that going out.

The property is still doing very well in my opinion. Rooms were clean and well kept. No broken hinges or trim or pealling paint etc. A/C worked WONDERFULLY!

The staff were the same as they were from 3 years earlier which was kind of neat. Nothing has changed! The Lobby bar bartenders were as in-effective as usual. Our buffet waiter was as welcoming and attentive as usual and our lunch waiter Michel was his usual excellent self. Very happy to greet us, talk to us about our day and help us with any questions or needs.

The beach was incredible. Plenty of sand to find a spot. Plenty of Palapas to find shade. Plenty of sunshine to burn my white butt!

I'm going to talk about the negatives because that seems to be what people are always concerned about.

The free-form pool is not cement but rather a liner and has many tears in it. This was not the case 3 yrs ago. It seriously needs to be replaced but other than that its alot of fun. I'm very confused about the design of the pool bar though. It's in 10 inches of water. When I go to a pool bar I like to sit waste deep in the water to cool off while I sip the drinks. Seemed that everyone felt the same way and would only order drinks then go back to their chairs as opposed to socializing by the pool-bar. Shame. Noel the bartender was very entertaining.

The fountain area. WTF??? It was broken 3 years ago and it's still broken! You have a beautiful meandering pond by your restaurants...then a jacuzzi and massage mountain with a waterfall and yet after 3 years it still doesn't work? Give a plumber a free trip and I'm sure he can fix it for you! It looks awfull and smells bad with the stagnant rain water and trapped crabs.

The Lobby bar. This bar is small. Not too small...just perfect...but small. I say this because for such a small area, there are FOUR bartenders all the time! You would think getting a drink would not be a problem but you would be wrong. One guys is doing coffees...ok, maybe he's the only one who knows the machine...it does look complicated. One guy is putting napkins in cups and sorting straws...the other two are kind of serving people. I swear to god, if I was the bartender (and I have been a bartender) I would cut these other guys out for being in my bar because I would know I can handle the whole place on my own and keep all the tips. Apparently bartending in Cuba is not as cut-throat as it is here in Canada. These guys won't even go around to the few tables around the bar to ask for drink orders. They just pick up the empties because they will get in trouble if any are missing. This is the only resort I've ever been to where the Lobby bar was not the central focus of social activity after dinner and I can only blame the bartending staff because they do not present a fun atmosphere. They put the Cuban baseball game on and ignore the customers. There should be music there..preferabbly live but if not at least a Cuban music CD to keep us entertained.

Now...the food. The buffet is great. People with fly issues....please...put a plate of cheese out on your deck and tell me how long before a fly lands on it. It's an open-air buffet. Get used to it and move on. Nobody died. The food was very tasty. Especially at the carving area and the custom pasta and custom grilling areas. Made-to-order. Can't go wrong.

The a-la-cartes....well...there is one restaurant that alternates menus. International or Cuban. The Cuba was to die for. Order everything and enjoy. Not a single complaint. I would hope that Cubans can cook Cuban cuisine and they sure can!

The international was absolutely disgusting. I pushed everything away from appetizer to entre to desert and I am not a fussy eater. Ravioli!!! How do you screw up ravioli?!? Anyway, you're going to go, and you're going to be bored of the buffet so you'll try the International. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Since we were returning guest, we also had the Manager's dinner. They try so hard that it makes you feel bad for criticizing. With the mosquito problem during September, they served this meal at the karaoke bar which was nice. No bugs and they have A/C. The bar tender put on some REALLY loud Kenny G music for atmosphere...I'm sure he's deaf and had no idea how loud the music was. As for the meal. It too was awefull. How we wished it would have been Cuba cuisine. Why do they keep trying to act like they are so International?? When I go to Mexico...I eat Mexican. When I go to Germany I eat german food. My potatoes were from a box of powdered potatoes. They were ice cold...my chicken was raw...litterally raw...not just under cooked.

I sound like such a whiner but I'm not really. Look at my rating. I thoroughly enjoyed this trip but someone needs to teach them how to cook. They have plenty of ingredients. Lots of variety. They just don't know how to prepare food. If I could give one piece of advice it's stick with what you know. I go to Cuba for Cuba. Feed me Cuban food like your mom used to make and I'll be happy!

My last issue is the beach. I go to many Cuban areas where they have signs that say things to the effect that this area is an ecologically protected area...I'm guessing Cayo Largo isn't because the Cuban government sure isn't putting any money in cleaning the place up.

I know the garbage isn't coming necessarily from Cayo Largo at it floats in from elsewhere...but it must be cleaned up. There was soooo much plastic all over the beach it was disgraceful. I don't blame the hotel because we were walking 'somewhat' off the property but I would think that with only these hotels being the 'draw' to the island that they should take the responsibility to keep it clean. Once a month...something. Even if they offered garbage bags to guests to fill and leave on the beach then someone picks up the bags once a night...I don't know but it can't just keep piling up.

Now someone reading this might be turned away from going and that would make me sad. It is the most beautiful little group of beaches you will ever find and the best hotel staff you will ever find. There is nothing really to do there and that is just fine with us as this is our SCUBA and relaxation destination. Don't hesitate to go.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3224 and although not beach front, had a decent view of the ocean from our balcany...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank MARCandSUE
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear Marc,
Your review has been really helpful, you have advised us in some service details where we could improve. As a 4* Meliá hotel we have to fulfill a standard in order to satisfy every different demanding, however we have taken in account your comments for to check and analyze important issues.
Thank you for your fidelity to Sol Cayo Largo besides for to recommend our hotel and destination. We would be pleased in welcome you back.
Best regards,
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!