“5 star beach”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Toronto, Canada
“5 star beach”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Sol Cayo Largo is grrrreat. Sol does not disappoint!!

I have been to Cuba quite a few times, first time to Cayo Largo area. I must say I do not go to Cuba for the food, or fancy hotels... I go for the beach and the rum!!! The beach at this resort is amazing, def 5 star beach. You can also take a little "choo-choo train" on wheels to another fantastic beach a few minutes down the road where they have snorkel gear and all the non motorized water sports. The food was pretty good to my surprise! - at breakfast time they had yummy crêpes and omelettes aside from the regular buffet food. The snack bar was grrrreat - spaghetti bolognèse, chicken sandwhiches.. they even had poutine! For dinner at the buffet there is an amazing fresh pasta selection made just the way you like it! The fruit and fruit juices are so delicious!
Alexander from the pool bar is amazing! And Oscar at the lobby bar was grrreat!
It is not a party resort - def a relaxing vacation which is exactly what I needed. Would def return, no complaints other than the massage which was very...rough. Our air conditioner was leaky and when I advised the front desk it was fixed within a couple hours. They go out of their way to make sure you are alwaysss having a good time and happy!! They even sent a bottle of champagne to our room!! Vast majority at this resort are return clients which is a good sign - one man had been here every year for the past 20 years!! By far the best resort on the island in my opinion from what I saw and heard.
I went horseback riding by the ocean, saw Lola the iguana who loves to pose for pics, even saw a crocodile! Released a baby sea turtle into the ocean (check out the turtle rehabilitation center for 1 CUC and taxi ride is 2 CUC per person def worth a look they do such amazing work to protect this endangered species- they have put over 100 000 turtles back into the ocean thus far), took out some bikes and strolled around and mostly lazed on the beach sipping my piña colada. You can also rent scooters and jeeps right beside the resort which is very convenient.
FYI - yes there ARE bugs outside - you're on a remote island people, c'mon and be realistic! But not nearly as bad as the reviews post - I almost didn't choose this resort after reading the "bug reviews" as i HATE bugs - and I'm glad I didn't listen to the complaints as I am 100% satisfied with my vacation and will tell everyone how great Sol Cayo Largo is!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ParisGenevieve
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Mrs,
We would like to thank you for your nice feedback and we are going to publish your comments to our staff .
Mosquitoes and flies, plague feature of the keys on which actions are executed for their control, but unfortunately these are accentuated on rainy days.
Thanks again for your compliments and will be a pleasure to welcome once again in our tropical paradise.

Thomas Lehnhooff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Courtice, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sol Cayo Largo in March 2009. My apologies for posting this so late. I've recently been reading reviews for our next trip down south, and I thought I should reciprocate by posting our experiences at Sol Cayo Largo. I also wanted to join in with the other to give this place the praise it deserves.

Beach
Like some of the other posters posted, the beach on this resort lives up to the name "paradise". The beach is absolutely breathtaking. Soft powdery sand - no sand shoes required - not even a rock in sight. There was no coral or rocks in the water, just sand, but the water was a little cold for my liking. You could walk for miles along the beach and not see anyone else. The resort provides lots of beach chairs - - no need to save chairs in the morning. You could pick up a couple of chairs, walk a little ways down the beach, and have a totally private little piece of beach all to yourselves. Lot of topless/nude sunbathing here too - both men and women. The weather was great for tanning - in the 80s all week. A little windy all week, but still warm enough when you laid down on the beach chair.

Resort
Sol is a very quiet place for a relaxing vacation. If you want a beautiful small quiet resort, with friendly staff, and an exceptional beach with beautiful water, then you've found your place.

If you want good entertainment and night life, than this is not the place for you. There is some nightly entertainment, and daytime pool activities, but not much, and it's all in Spanish.

Pool
The pool was lovely - a canal-style pool that ran throughout the property.

Food/drinks
Buffet food was plentiful, although bland, but service was great. Staff in the buffet were very friendly and the same waiter would look for you each time you came, and would look after you while enjoying your meal. There was quite a bit of rudeness and pushing by some non-English speaking guests, but it was pretty good if you could overlook this.

Drinks at the bars were a little weak and serviced was very slow, but we didn't come here because of the food or the drinks.

Rooms
Rooms were bright, cheerful and clean. Loved the decor. The top (2nd) floor rooms have high cathedral ceilings. Our room was on the second floor (Room B1724) with a great balcony which faced the beach restaurant. Nice to sit out there at night. The bed was comfy, the a/c worked great. You need a voltage converter if you plan on plugging anything in.

Gym
The gym was fantastic. It was an open air gym with a thatched straw roof, and it had quite a bit of equipment, as well as cardio machines. We were in the gym 2-3 times during the week and only saw one other person using it all week. It had a nice atmosphere. The outdoor tennis courts were also always vacant. It's something to do for those of you who get antsy sitting on the beach or by the pool all day.

Internet
You could buy internet access for around $30, but the computers in the lobby were only dial up and extremely slow. At least we managed to send a couple of emails out. It probably would have been cheaper to phone Canada instead.

Snorkeling/Excursions
We were a little disappointed to see that there was really no wildlife on the resort property - no lizards, no fish in the water, just the odd bird or two, and stray cats in the buffet. We brought our snorkeling equipment but only used it once on the excursion. You see a few more fish on the beach excursion to Paraiso and Sirenas than you do at the resort. This one and only excursion is worth going to for something different to do for a day, even though the water was cold. It's a very beautiful area. There's a restaurant there to get some food/drinks/snacks. Make sure you bring your own bathroom tissue as a lady sits in front of the bathrooms and charges you for tissue. We would told you could order a lunch at the lobby to take with you on this excursion, and they would have a bagged lunch with a drink ready for you to take. That was nice.

Now the not-so-good stuff (every place has a thing or two):

Sick
My boyfriend got really sick to his stomach on day 3 (from the breakfast buffet omelette we think) and a doctor had to be brought in (one on the resort) to give him a shot to stop the vomiting etc,. He was somewhat back to normal the next day but was afraid to eat for the rest of the week. Me: I have a stomach made of steel. Upon arriving at the resort, I was so thirsty and being a water addict, I rushed right to the bathroom and guzzled two glasses of tap water. I totally forgot that foreign water could make you really ill, but it didn't bother me one bit, thank goodness. For the rest of the week, we were glad to see bottled water in the mini-fridge every day (free). Just make sure your eggs at the buffet are cooked really well.

Shower
Oh, another not so great thing was the shower. The pressure was just a trickle. It was the worst shower I have ever seen. Having long hair, I dreaded having a shower every day, as I was in there for a very very long time trying to rinse out my hair. (Almost forgot about this issue.)

Ants
Oh, don't bring any sweet drinks or food into your room. We left a couple of cups of fruit punch on the dresser and a few hours later we literally had hundreds of tiny little ants all over our room. Once we got rid of the cups, most of the ants were gone within a day or two.

Just a warning ... hardly anyone speaks English here. The waiters are about the only ones who you can really converse with. Brush up on your Spanish or bring a good converter.

All in all, it was a great week, and well worth the price.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CanadianGirl046
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Dear Clients
We are proud to be part of your good comments, we will keep on working hard in order to increase the level of service and maintain the highest standard for the clients who choose us as perfect destination. It will be a good pleasure to receive you once again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We went with my husband on out honeymoon, and our first stop was Sol Cayo Largo. From the ,moment we got in the attention and the service was absolutly impecable. The resort is amazing, with everything you could need, the people who work there have the best attitude possible and are always there for anything you might need.

As far as the accomodations go, they are absolutly wonderful and very confertable. We had a room with a view of the sea. The food was great with a HUGE variety.

They also offer alot of trips, which I highly recommend. All in all, i cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen for you, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel ,really appreciated your comments in the web site Trip Advisor.
We hope to have opportunity once again to receive you in our resort if you would give us this satisfaction don´t hesitate in contact us.

chile
Reviewed 2 November 2011

When we went to Sol Cayo Largo the first time, 2 years ago, I never thought that I would go back. I wasn't impressed by the hotel, the food, the grounds or the rooms.
But we went again in June because my husband and son went fishing with flyfishing caribe and SCL is the best hotel there.
I have to say that I am happier this time, I knew what to expect and some things had been improved like the food at the buffet for example, 2 years ago there wasn't any fresh fruit for breakfast, this year, they had some, they also had very good French toast which my son's fiancee enjoyed every morning.
The entertainment team were almost the same people and they were really nice, I enjoyed the aqua gym everyday.
I also enjoyed the entertainment at night , they have fantastic dancers!!! much better than in other all inclusives I've been to in Cancun, Punta Cana, Bayahibe and Varadero.
They have a new or refurbished restaurant with air conditioning that was very good, the service was impecable.
Antonio the bar tender at the swim up bar makes great Mojitos and he is a gentleman.
The beds are still hard and the food is not varied, the pool could be improved.
The beach is really pretty and the 2 beaches you can visit from the hotel (Paraiso and Sirenas) are the most beautiful I've ever seen.
We were never invited to a repeat client dinner!! too bad!!! maybe next time.
I think we'll go back to SCL because it's a great flyfishing destination and also because I think they are trying hard to improve and most of all because I had a great time there.

Room Tip: I've always been close to the beach and they are quite good, they aren't noisy. Anyway I did...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ceciChile
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen for you, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel and we are really sorry we didn’t reach 100% your expectative, we have readied carefully your comments and we will work harder in order to improve continuously to satisfy our clients .
Also we will let know to the entertainment staff your positive comments about their good job.
We hope to have opportunity once again to receive you in our resort if you would give us this satisfaction don ´t hesitate in contact us in order to offer you specials attentions.

Thomas Lehnhooff

It will be a great pleasure for us to receive you once again
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The Good

The hotel is about 5 mins away from the airport and that there was not that long drive to the hotel. There was welcoming music as you checked into your hotel at the service desk some people where handing out drinks. The resort was at full capacity The Food was pretty tasty in the buffet I could say we never went hungry. The Beach at our resort was amazing we were lucky for the time of year.

The Bad
Ok now where do I start..... First I found that No one was very helpful with getting your bags around with out their hand deep in your pocket for a 10 or 5 peso note... Once you gave that money out you would get some attention for your luggage. So we all got settled down in our rooms... So what would be the first Thing you would want to do.... Ahh the Bar.... Once again The Day Bartender Staff were really extremely rude!!!! Wow what a great feeling to be in your wonderful hotel.... The worst Bartender was Addel and The guy who has Glasses Named Remon or something. I bet there are alot of Cuban's who would cut off their right Arm to have this job... I also found when you went to the disco at night the Bartender was watching TV I had to wait 15 min's to get a Drink I did not cat call nor whistle to get his attention. The Guy was fully focused on The Baseball game and did not give a hoot about serving his customers. Just because there are 3 major hotels in cayo largo and for some reason you happen to fall into first place does not make it ok for the hotel staff to be complete @sses.

The Horrible

The best I have seen staff members Picking their noses and then serving customers during the lunch hour's. At the lunch restaurant where you get the pizza's. I remember seen one guy named Orly That did this 3 times during my Stay. I find that disgusting and One of the main reasons I would never go back nor will I mention anything good about this hotel. For all I would noticed that the staff where very worn out and Miserable and angry and they rubbed it on the guest at the hotel. I found when you politely asked for something it was always questioned and Looked like it was a massive burden to these Over Tipped Over paid whiny little @sses that cared only if you dropped them a 20 cuc or a 50 cuc tip. I will never return to this hit hole of a hotel nor will I tell my worst enemy to pay a visit to this poor Customer Service Hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a second floor Bungalow
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
12 Thank Tommy B
Dear Mrs,
We really appreciate your opinion that you have published on Trip Advisor. It is important to know your experiences to improve our work and services.
I would like to apologize for not being able to cover your expectations especially for some staff´s attitudes not according with the courtesy we used to give in Sol Cayo Largo which by the way it has been through years a strong characteristic. We are going to analyze besides other important details. Thank you once more for let us know your impressions.

Toronto
Reviewed 21 October 2011

This is our third visit to Cayo Largo, it won’t be our last, we have the bug! First time at the Sol Cayo Largo. Previously we have stayed at the Sol Pelicano and the Playa Blanca and can now see first hand why the SCL consistently ranks number one on Trip Advisor and has the mostly glowing reviews. Our goal when we come to CL is to bask in the sun, wear as little clothing as possible, take long languorous walks on the beach, relax and rejuvenate. We won’t offer comment on things that don’t matter to us when we go to Cayo Largo: things like entertainment, partying, nightlife. Regardless of the hotel we always strive to overlook the negatives and focus on our objective. Having said that we do take notes and make comparisons. This was our first experience in the low season, so some observations may be tempered by that. We are guessing the hotel was half to 2/3 full at the most. The Playa Blanca was the only other resort open.

We arrived on time and were the first off the plane, through customs and retrieved our bags very quickly. Tip: exchange your money at the airport, they give the best rate. The SCL and Pelicano do not have Bancos, but you get dinged converting at the front desk. Check in at the hotel went smoothly, bags were delivered to our room right away. We emailed a few days ahead and requested a quiet second floor room near the beach and wow, were we ever happy we did. We were given room 3323 which had a partial view of the ocean, spectacular! The mattress was pretty good. Sheets and towels, old and well worn but clean. Always hot water. AC worked well unless it was raining (see below). Very close to the buffet and lobby as well. Took a stroll right away - the grounds, landscaping and layout beautifully incorporate the uneven terrain and rock outcroppings. The bridge to the beach on the west side is quite striking, it meanders over the dunes to the beach, is well maintained but has no guardrails, which can be unnerving as at one point there is about a 6 foot drop on either side.

The beach was short directly in front of the Ranchon, but quite wide to the east and west. We stayed to the west. We always had our choice of palapas and the beach guy was always helpful setting us up no matter what time of day we arrived. The ocean was hot, hot, hot. Our first experience of a calm Caribbean was sublime. We watched barracudas hunting right up to the edge of the surf not 10 feet way, really cool. At dawn walk saw spectacular cloud formations and even a waterspout! We experienced the most spectacular sunsets to the west.

There was only one taxi servicing the entire island, which did hamper our access to the western beaches, we waited and ultimately gave up after waiting an hour a couple of times. The train driver did make a special trip at the end of the day for us for 4 pesos, but in high season, the taxis are numerous and competitive.

The buffet is open air concept, which meant quite a few cats. The food was quite good and plentiful, although not a great range of fresh vegetables. Beef was surprisingly good. Pasta was excellent. Breakfasts were great - pancake and omelette stations, fresh fruit and pastries, excellent. The a la carte restaurant was mediocre by comparison (we only had the one option). The pool snack bar was quite good, nice variety of sandwiches, burgers, fries and pizzas. The beach Ranchon was mediocre. Previous posters had complained of flies on the open food. We noticed they were using smudge pots and keeping food covered with saran wrap to keep them at bay. Mosquitos were noticeable only in the evening, but not a big problem for us, possibly because we didn’t hang out outside at night. They did fog nightly before dinner. The lobby bar was small but never overcrowded and the issue with the TV has been resolved - a nice potted plant occupies its former location and staff were efficient and attentive.

Day four of our week, the weather turned. Spectacular intermittent thunder showers turned to a full blown tropical system for our last 2 days. What a contrast. We watched the previously bone dry restaurant fountain fill to overflowing and all out flood the low paths. The rain was intense. Kudos to the hard working staff to keep hotel functioning in the monsoon - we had a soggy lunch by the pool on our last day, a river ran right through the middle of the tables, the waiters happily rolled up their pants and splashed through the torrents to keep us served. This was our first experience with any rain at all in CL. Our room leaked down one wall quite a bit (our maid was nice to give us extra towels to staunch the flow and use as mops.) The rain also caused a short in our AC unit which meat the circuit breaker went off continually and we had no power until it let up. Not a big deal.

To sum up, we agree with the majority of the reviews. The Sol Cayo Largo is the number 1 resort on the island. The staff were very friendly, hard working and gave great service. We can’t wait to return in April. We definitely have the Cayo Largo bug!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hardesign
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen for you many times, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel and we are really sorry we didn’t reach all your expectative, we have readied carefully your comments and we will work harder in order to improve continuously to satisfy our clients .
It will be a great pleasure for us to receive you once again for delight the wonders beaches and sunsets in Cayo Largo,

Strathroy, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2011

nice place to just relax, very little for entertainment. hold nice weddings. some items that need improvement: paths need lighting, rooms leaked in the rain, more daily entertainment. beach was ok. staff and service was good. grounds kept very clean. overall was an ok vacation. dont think will be going back anytime soon

Room Tip: if you want an ocean view you need to get a top floor room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank poolbar88
Dear Mrs,
We would like to thank you for feedback about your vacations in our hotel.
We have taken note about some details that you kindly have let us know,it is very important for our daily performance.

We will be honored if you decided to come back to Sol Cayo Largo or in other hotel of Sol Meliá Cuba.
Regards,

Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!