“small value for high price”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We have been there during the low season, this might have been the reason why especially the food has been so poor. Rooms and service are okay, but compared to other hotels at nearly same price such as sol rio luna y mares in Guardalavaca also poor. Especially all food offered has been very poor, no choice of fresh vegetables, always the same boring stuff, little or no choice of fresh fruits, if you want a real good coffee or cappuchino at breakfast you need to bring it from the bar, the one offered at breakfast sit terrible. you need to pay extra 20CUC!!! if you want Lobster for dinner, no calmares or prawns offered as we were used from other hotels of the sol group. No nice sweets such as icecream, friuts: always the same: papaya, grapefruit, guava and sometimes Pineapple if you were lucky!
Very disappointing, furthermore there is not much you can do in this club.. the swimmingpool water seemed to be dirty and cooking hot- we didn't dare go in. animation team very nice and really making efforts- but if there is nearly no equipment or very old one, it's difficult. Boring!
Beach very nice, there is a nudist beach nearby and a lot of homosexual guests were attending the beach.
We booked the hotel only for one reason: we wanted to go diving in Cayo Largo. Otherwise you really would find it so boring there.
I like the funny train service that brings you to other beaches such as Playa Paraiso which is very beautiful, but take care: lot's of annoying biting sandflees there!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank SabineLiehr

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sol Cayo Largo. Cayo Largo is beautiful, a beach and nature lovers paradise, but I am not reviewing Cayo Largo here, but the hotel.

The hotel is less than 10 minutes away from the airport. Checking was smooth, but we were a very small group coming from Toronto. My room was not available before 3 pm, but I was offered a place to change if I wish.

The resort itself is very charming. Small bungalows, very tropical looking. My room was nice. Not luxurious, but comparable to my previous rooms at the Melia Las Dunas or Melia Cayo Guillermo (and much better than the Sol Sirenas Coral and the Rio Luna y Mares!). People were complaining about the lack of hot water but I did not have a problem. Everything was working just fine. First floor by the pool, no bugs all week, to my surprise.

The pool was beautiful, or will be once they change the ripped liner. It's salt water, which suits me. Animation was present if you wish to participate but not overbearing. I did not see any animation by the beach, but I was always away walking until the afternoon, so maybe I just missed it.

The food could be a problem for some people. The choices were very limited comparatively to the other sol/melias I have stayed in the past. But it's low season on a remote cayo... The buffet was closed except for breakfast and meals were offered in the Playa Ranchon. I liked it. Nice setting, much better atmosphere than the traditional buffet, with the house band to entertain us. Like I said, limited options but at least, everything was good. I enjoyed the pastas and the barbecue quite a bit. The pool snack bar also offers nice options for lunch. House wine is drinkable. The wine is better in the A la carte restaurant. The food in the A la carte is ok, not exceptional but a nice change.

The lobby bar is cute but small. I have to admit that I missed a bigger lobby with a house band playing. However, as it was low season, it was perfect. It was nice to hang there to have a few drinks and socialize with the other patrons. (The crowd was very friendly and well behaved, but I have to admit I was not one at the bar at 3 am for a change!). They ran out of mint 3 days out of seven (oh no!!!!) but the friendly bar staff was quick at suggesting another delicious cocktail.

The lobby is right beside the animation stage, but I have to admit, I missed most of the shows ( I was not in the mood this time). Half of the week, the shows were done in the disco (for lack of a better term) because they were changing the stage.

The disco (or as it is referred by the staff: The Karaoke), was another spot to hang out after 7 pm. Thankfully, it was not painted black like most resorts discos and it was inviting even if you just wished to hang out for a drink. Staff there as well friendly and I was very thankful for the nice amount of cuban salsa played instead of mostly dreadful reggaeton.

I heard some people complain about a few things. First, that the maid did not change their towels all week. Well, read the little card in the bathroom! They are trying to preserve ressources, so if you want your towels changed, you need to leave them at the bottom of the tub. I guess some people just did not bother to read the card. Same for the sheets. You need to pull them off your bed if you want them changed. I dont know about you, but I certainely do not change my sheets every day at home. My maid changed them when I requested. By the way, she did an amazing job keeping my room spotless.

I also overheard 2 men travelling together complained about the lack of women and nightlife on the resort. Well, this is Cayo Largo, not Playa del Carmen! People go to Cayo Largo for the beaches, to relax, not to party. It offers exactly that, and for me, had just enough to entertain me at night before I went to bed. But the lobby is 24 hours just in case you decide to make it a late night.

The staff, like most cuban resorts, is very friendly and most speak either french or english (I speak both so it was easy). Unlike most resorts though, here in Sol Cayo Largo, even the reception staff is friendly. I was greated always with a smile. And everyone remembered my name on day 2. I felt very welcome (and safe, I shall mention).

I try not to go twice at the same hotel, as in my past experiences, I can never recreate the magic of the first time. But I might make an exception for the Sol Cayo Largo. I think I just might go back!

Room Tip: Despite what the Nolitour rep told me, the exchange rate is much better at the airport than the hote...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
14  Thank crimsonsoda
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed at Sol Melia Cayo Largo in August 2012. I have travelled extensively around Cuba and this was one of the few places I had not visited. In terms of the pros - I really enjoyed the beaches - Playa Paraiso is breathtaking and the snorkelling tour was fantastic! the one highlight of an otherwise extremely disappointing trip.

service - terrible. just as other travellers have drescribed, I also experienced the lackadaisical attitude from all staff. generally extremely unfriendly and unhelpful.
the main dining hall was open air, so there were flies everywhere which really made the dining experience unpleasant. also there wasn't much variety or quality in terms of the meals
Because of the numerous mosquitoes abounding in the area, I returned from the vacation covered in bites.
the room I was in was not in terrible condition - it was clean, but the metallic shower heads and grab bars were completely rusted all the way through.
overall, I would not recommend this hotel - there are many other great options in cuba for service, food, beaches and entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank laviajera498
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Beautiful environment and care, service and friendliness is good. the room very spacious, comfortable, clean and beautiful. the food is good but not varied.
the animations are acceptable and the beach is very nice.
they think, environmental sustainability!!! Congratulations.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valdo V
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Client:
We are thankful for been chosen for you, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel . We have taken care about variety of meals tha you refer ,it is very important for our daily performance.
We will be honored if you decided to come back to Sol Cayo Largo for delight the wonders beaches and places.
Best Regards

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Me and 3 friends stayed at Sol Cayo largo at the end of our 2 week trip to Cuba and had 3 days and 2 nights here which we booked through cubatour in Havana as we had heard that this island was beautiful, and it didn't disappoint, cayo largo is just paradise. The beaches are picture perfect with pure white sands and crystal clear water and not over run with resorts.
The hotel itself is comfortable. We had a nice big room with ocean views. It was very clean and quite which was lovely, but it is a little bit dated and could do with a bit of a face lift, but then this is Cuba! There was also meant to be a mini bar which was not stocked and we did ask about getting it stocked but nothing was ever done about it, but the 24 hour bar is a 4 min walk so not too hard if you do want to get a drink.
The staff are amazing and make it really. They work very hard and are so friendly we had quite a laugh with them!
The food was a bit disappointing. We ate amazingly well in Cuba but the hotel plays it safe and it is very big so they can not cook very thing fresh for everyone. The flies and cats were not a problem really, as again, everything is open so there is nothing they can really do about it! Get to the buffet earlier rather than later for the best choice and freshest food! They also have a Cuban band playing who are great!
Hotel entertainment was hilarious! And there is plenty to do there if you want to. I did a salsa class which was fun, but they have yoga and water volley ball if you want to get involved. Oh and they have a spa, and we had a massage which was lovely.
I would recommend venturing out of the hotel, the locals and staff at the hotel head to the marina for drinks and dancing after work which is great fun, everyone is very friendly and welcoming.
And you can also hire a car/jeep from the hotel for the day and explore the island and beaches without having to rely on the train. The last train from the beach leaves at about 5 so if you go to the beach after the last pick up, you have it all to yourself which is just amazing.
All in all it was the prefect end to our trip to Cuba and I would defiantly go back to Cayo Largo.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank CiaraT1
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Dear Clients
We are proud to be part of your good comments, we will keep on working hard in order to increase the quality and maintain the highest standard for the clients who choose us as beautiful destination. We are executing renovations in all rooms, bathwater and external areas that will be ready by year end.
It will be a good pleasure to receive you once again in Sol Cayo Largo or Sol Pelicano Hotel.
Best regards

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I was there for 4 days in March 2010. Very good hotel: location, restaurants, entertainment, staff etc. I was impresses that every room has it own iron (no neccessity to ask reception to bring it ;-) ) and even umbrella. It is very good that the hotel consists of bungalows (not all rooms are inside the one big building) so that you can sleep well not hearing any noise from large number of your neighbours - one 2-floors bungalow is for 4 rooms but it is ok. I will definitely stay in this hotel if I manage to have vacation on this amasing island again. Only one minus is that the hotel is rather expensive taking in consideration that the flights from Europe cost something :-) The island itself is very very nice - we took Suzuki Gimni to discover all the wild beaches and we enjoyed our trip a lot ! Among all of my 4-5 trips for the past 2 years Cayo Largo is the most impressive thing ! Among attractions we visited "Natural Pool", iguana island, turtles "kindergarten" (can be reached by car) and I recommend it to those who love animals and nature.

Room Tip: If you stay in bungalows on you right hand when you face the sea then you will be closer to the &quo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oleg2010

Dear Clients
It is a pleasure to receive your comments about your stay in Sol Cayo Largo. We are pleased to know your positive opinion about our hotel and paradise beaches. Our clients and theirs satisfaction are our main objective and that’s why we fight for it every day.
Thank you for your kindness and we are happy to welcome back.

Best Regards

Reviewed 20 August 2012

My girlfriend and I went to Sol Cayo Largo on Aug 6-13 for our Birthdays. When we arrived I asked if we have a good room. She said, yes yes, We got to the room, no air conditioning, dripping ceiling, and it took me 4 times to tell them we wanted to change the room. It took us more than 4 hours before we were moved to a better room. The hotel is very dated, Needs a whole new facelift. The food was average and it was the same thing every day. I played it safe with pasta, but my friend ate everything and ended up with terrible abdominal pains, and you know what else. I got what she had the very last day. On the good side, the staff, bartenders, cleaning staff, front desk were friendly. The one thing that made the vacation the best was the ANIMATION TEAM. If we didn't have them, this would have been a very boring holiday. These guys work their butts off. Working from 10 am in the morning and not stopping until 1 am at night. They are on 20 days on Cayo Largo, and 10 days home. No one lives on the island. There is nothing to do on the island. The only thing we did was go into the Marina, and saw the baby turtles, we didn't go to far. The beach is ok, but the waves are very strong, and could and did knock you down. The other beaches that you could go to for 2 pesos were nice, but you don't want to go everyday to a different beach that's not near your hotel. I would NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2122 on the second floor. It was a good location. Easy access to everything, and...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank michaeljackson50

Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen for you, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel .
Honestly we really sorry the perceptions you had in our resort about the variety of meals.
As for the waves on the beach according to the weather may be more or less strong.Our customers have several options for transportation to Sirena and Paraiso virgin beaches whose beauty and color makes them unique.
I am really sorry for not being able to cover your expectations.
At your disposal

#2 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
#1 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!