“Beaches are outstanding and staff is wonderful!”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Ontario
“Beaches are outstanding and staff is wonderful!”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

First time to Sol Cayo Largo, second to Cuba (Varadero).

We have cruised several times with Royal so were aware of how different this vacation would be with regard to food. There was some variety but it was very simple food. The lunch chicken on the bbq was really tasty. The pasta bar at evening buffet was great. Had fantastic coffee at the lobby bar every single morning, alone, reading my book. Loved it. We were never hungry. They work with what they have, rights?

Drinks were plentiful, timely and the staff was outstanding. Make an effort to know their names, attempt a bit of Spanish. Tip as you will. It goes a long way.

Rooms tired but clean but who cares about the room? Give me the beach! And the beach was beyond words. Grounds lovely and painstakingly cared for daily. Do not feed the cats. I am an animal lover and it is not in the best interests of these feral cats to be feed by the guests. Yes, the pool liner looks like the back of a mangled whale but I heard the resort will be overhauled in the fall to a 5*? But we swam in the pool anyway.

Not an active resort for young adults. Pretty quiet but I liked that. We did an evening catamaran cruise with a broiled lobster. Yum, and beautiful. Fishing excursion... Scooters were fun to drive to the village and play pool and have mojitos at the open air bar/restaurant at the marina.

I would go again because I love to sit on the beach and read, swim in the waves and relax. If I want to go on an outing I would but the focus for me is the beach. We spoke to many guests who had been there more than once. The value is good.

Lots of Italians and French speaking people. Kind of interesting if you know a bit of French. Many of the Cuban staff spoke French as well. The Italians I spoke to entirely in broken French. It was amusing.

All the staff work SO hard and are so hospitable.

Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

Room Tip: We asked for an ocean facing (be aware there is a dune obstructing the water unless you are on the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cubaboundOntario
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen on your first visit to Cayo Largo, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel .About cats and pool i mean that we are working hard in order to improve .
It will be a great pleasure for us to receive you once again for delight beaches as you say Beyond Words
At your disposal

Thomas Lehnhooff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We've been there my husband and I, at the end of January 2013 and we were very pleased by the good weather, nice surroundings and amazing good service from the staff. I would recommend this resort for people over 40 years old and just couples, without children because of the nudist beaches which are now almost at every resort, so if you want to take a walk, you’ll always meet parts for nudists.
My husband and I enjoyed this vacation a lot for the peace and tranquility of the nature while walking miles on the beach. The resort has no disco but at the lobby bar you could drink and dance. In Cayo Largo there is no place to go out except at the Marina, but to dance there was impossible because the dancing ring is made of old and washed asphalt, so forget about salsa spins...:).Also we didn’t go to any trip this year because we heard there is not much to see at this time of the year. Not to forget was winter there too so the vegetation was not as green and flowered as in spring and summer. About the resort I must say was very clean, happy colors on the paint, bathrooms are very large and in good condition. We actually had nothing to complain about. Food at the buffet had always variations, but not to forget we are in Cuba ,not at home, so if you like your peanut butter sandwich take it with you or stay home and eat it in your better equipped kitchen. We heard complaints about the food and the buffet, but looking at the complainers, we thought they’d better stay home and eat what they can afford to buy and cook. We were ashamed they came from the same country as we.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank blueocean13
Dear Clients
We are thankful for feedback about your first time in our hotel and for referring Sol Cayo Largo with other customers .Our main objective is to reach a good memory of vacation in our guests.
We would like to welcome you again just because our beautiful beaches, cuban people, or because a new reason to meet in Cayo Largo.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

A truly spectacular beach. Rooms a bit tired, pool is a disgrace with the liner perished and peeling back all over. Staff are absolutely delightful and very helpful.
Food is fine but unvaried. Not worth booking the specialty restaurants, the food isn't good enough.
Worst aspect is connecting flights. They can only tell you the day before what time your return flight leaves. The afternoon flight does not allow connection time to some international flights so you have to have a night in Havana to ensure connections. Not explained at all.
Our flight to Cay Largo from Havana left at 7:00 which meant a 3:30 am wake up call. Not my idea of a holiday

Room Tip: Beach facing rooms quietest
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank ChrisT2121
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
I would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions about some aspects to renovate in our Hotel, we really appreciate them as very good improvement opportunities. It is my pleasure to inform you that we are working in maintenance programs and renovations in rooms and pool to get the goal to keep on getting better image and services, so as to succeed our client’s expectations.
Best Regards
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My husband and I were very happy with the stay, great people amazing beaches very clean accommodation. I would recommend bringing your own pillow for extra comfort.
Food: is simple, keep in mind that their resources are very limited, they try to be creative with what they have. We were told to stay away from anything that is mixed with Mayonnaise, so we did!
We rented a scoter and went for a ride, it was well worth it, 20cuc for a day or 11cuc for 1 hour
Tips: staff are very friendly and not pushy at all, they deserve a good tip, we had an all inclusive trip, we tipped 3-5 cuc for restaurant servers and 1 cuc when we ordered drinks from the bars.
They serve drinks in a very small cups, they don’t mind it at all that you bring your own.

Enjoy your travel and get ready to relax and enjoy the heavenly beaches

Room Tip: Next time: - I would bring a coffee mug or some sort of a travel cup - bring a pillow with me - brin...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Laila_a74
Dear Clients
We would like to welcome you again just because our beautiful beachs, cuban people, or because a new reason to meet in Cayo Largo.

Montreal
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This property is lovely. It is rugged enough to look like it has not been touched by human hands but glamorous to feel like you are at a luxury resort. It combines both rawness of Cuban nature with luxury that tourists like to avail. The beach is by far the most beautiful I have ever seen. I have been to Northern Cuba and to Santiago, and I have also travelled to Southern Europe and I must say I have never seen a beach with such white and pristine, clean sand, and crystal clear waters with not much algae being carried by the waves. What makes the beach unique is that there are no rocks on the sand but the rocky parts are right in back of the sand area. So you get the feeling of a clear beach with a rocky, raw backgorund. Maybe my photos will attest to the beauty of the beach.

However, and a big however it is, the food was not very tasty. It had no taste. It was bland. There were many options for meat lovers but none for vegetarians.

Also, the resort attracts mostly couples of all ages. So if you are there to look to make friends and meet people, it is not a not a good choice for you. Couples are in their own world and there is no serious socializing going on among the tourists, unlike other resorts.

The entertainment at night was the best I have ever seen. The shows that they give and activities they offer are of superior quality.

I would return if I had the chance, though. The beauty of the property was supernatural. The weather when we were there in late February was amazing, sunny and 29 degrees celcius each day, no rain at all.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank EllaElla79
Dear customers:
I am very glad to receive your opinions through so important FORUM as it is Tripadvisor. Please, receive our gratitude for choose us as perfect destination.
Wishing to welcome you once more to enjoy the supernatural beauty of the beaches, white sand , Sun and amazing weather in Sol Cayo Largo

Kind regards,
Orillia, Ontario
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We visited Sol Cayo Largo for the first time late in January.

It was our 4th trip to Cuba, previously staying in Cayo Santa Maria and Varadero. We have previously traveled throughout the Caribbean, and Cuba has a special place in our hearts due the people and the incredible beaches.

Our primary goal on vacation is a great beach, clean hotel, and sense of security.
Sol Cayo Largo delivers on these promises better than any resort we have previously visited.
We prefer a low rise, well spaced development which blends in with the natural environment. If we wanted highrise buildings and luxury, we would just stay in a downtown Canadian hotel.

Like most, we visited Paraiso Beach and Sirenis, both by scooter.
Yes, the road is all sand, rutted, and a bit spooky at first. After a while, it became a fun adventure.
Although these two beaches are world class, we honestly preferred spending time at the hotel's beach.
This resort is located at the western edge of the populated area, which means a short walk west takes you to deserted, natural beaches and sand dunes. We would take our towels and water with us, pick a nice secluded spot, and jump in the aquamarine blue surf.

We felt fortunate to find such an unspoiled piece of paradise. You could walk forever on the beach, rarely meeting another soul, and see no signs of civilization. It really is a rare jewel, a throwback in time, a chance to see the Caribbean prior to over development. There aren't too many vacation spot left that allow us to glimpse into a simpler time.

Regarding the hotel, the grounds were very lush, the resort was fairly small which we loved, and the restaurant staff couldn't have been more friendly. Angel and Nestor always welcomed us with a warm smile, handshake, and perfect service at the buffet.
Next time, I would skip the a la cartes, which weren't anything special.
The pool restaurant was a pleasant surprise, which great pizza and sandwiches, frosty drinks, and a great view of the pool.

The food was outstanding ... from Frank's omelettes to the men cooking pasta and pizza, we really enjoyed the buffet. I was surprised at the lack of lineups. As soon as our glasses were empty, Angel or Nestor were there to fill you up.

We have already booked vacation time for Sol Cayo Largo next year. In 30 years of travelling to the islands, this is the first time we will return to a resort ... but not the last.

As many others have stated, this is the ideal spot to recharge your batteries, rekindle your relationship. Its not a party resort, and its not a place to go with young children. But for total relaxation, its tough to beat.

I've included a few pics for anyone interested.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have cathedral ceilings for a nice feeling of spaciousness.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank tcbted
Dear Clients;

We are proud you feel lucky to found the perfect place,the charm and quiet of the island, natural gardens, turquoise beaches ,nice people.
Thanks for make your reservation in advance for next year, for your loyalty and wishes to stay with us many times besides for to recommend our hotel and destination.

At your disposal

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

How you respond to Sol Cayo Largo will depend to some extent on whether or not you want to be in a large resort. Perhaps my view of the Sol is coloured by the fact that there are no villages on Cayo Largo - Cubans don't live there, and the hotel staff are ferried in for 20 day stints, then home for ten days. So it has the slightly unreal feeling of a parallel universe. If you don't mind that, then the Sol has everything you'd want. I note complaints about the worn state of rooms - ours was immaculate. The beach is as white as advertised, the sea as blue, the grounds are beautifully kept. There's a gym, tennis court, good masseurs, endless activities, and as a real plus there's no tagging - you don't have to spend your stay wearing an ID band on your wrist.

Most of the staff, with one or two notable exceptions, are positive, bright, friendly and hardworking.
BUT, and this is a big but, I would issue a serious health warning about the a la carte restaurant, Las Trinas. After one whiff of my main course, my son said 'don't eat that', but I'd already taken two mouthfuls - and then,the next four days were spent in my room, without food, on antibiotics and rehydration salts. In effect, a lost holiday. I might have been singularly unlucky, but the lacklustre quality of the rest of the food in Las Trinas suggests a carelessness which is out of keeping with the rest of the resort.

Room Tip: Make sure you're as far away from the pool and restaurant as possible. Noise! Lower villa rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NeonFright
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear client,
Thanks for your impressions about recently stay in Sol Cayo Largo.We really sorry lost holidays because of your health, the hotel daily take appropriate sanitary measures ,even when we have not had any reports of health problems associated with food, your opinion it valuable in order to achieve better service and client’s satisfaction.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back if you decide to return to Sol Cayo Largo hotel.

Best Regards
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#10 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!