“This hotel is in disrepair, it's NOT charmingly showing its age!”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Burlington, ON
“This hotel is in disrepair, it's NOT charmingly showing its age!”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Vomit induced by questionable cooking? Human v. Feline violence? Stinking, fetid, green pools? Bathrooms so old that may have been built by the Caribe Indians? This place has it all!

Oh and the beach? The beach is one of the most stunning I've ever set foot on. People should never be allowed to say that they "enjoy going to the beach" unless they've seen whats on offer in Cayo Largo. Seriously, its that good.

Which begs the question. Why are the accompanying selection of hotels sooo damn bad?

I love Sol Melia Cuba. My wife and I have been to 7 or 8 of them scattered around Cuba, and we usually feel good about booking a holiday at their facilities, but not this time. Oh no. Not this time at all.

I've never felt the need to vomit directly after enjoying a plate of pasta at a Sol Melia resort before, but then I've never seen staffers trying to punt cats around a Sol Melia resort before either. Come to think of it, I've never seen so much free beer for staff at a Sol Melia resort either. I'm not one to speculate, but there could be a connection here.

This may be a bit "off topic" but I've never run into an entire kitchen staff unable to master the delicate art of cooking french fries as well.

I'm not quite willing to give upon this one though. One morning we took a short wander through the prison-esque Sol Pelicano, and were filled with a sense of relief when we saw the state of the hotel we ALMOST booked.

I've recently heard that there is a planned "refresh/rennovation" scheduled for this resort in the Fall, and this makes me hopeful. As long as it includes a few weeks at culinary school for the kitchen staff, a few trucks full of concrete to correct the "pool issues", and some serious rethinking of their staff drinking policies, I'm all for it. I may even give it another try.

I'll let my fellow tripadvisor reviewers fill me in on the results. And with a beach like that, please believe me, I'll be waiting with baited breath.

Oh, and before the manager decides to write a response telling me how sorry he is that their "efforts weren't up to our standards" and that he "hopes to see us again soon", and that "they are working to correct" these problems? I hope he doesn't bother. Its fairly obvious that they haven't been setting any kind of standards for quite some time. Please let them take the time instead to work with, and develop the staff. There are some great people there, some are seriously terrible, but a lot are really great people!

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Karol Chareza at Tripcentral Burlington. He had our backs when we needed some help. He's also some kind of travel wizard, and was able to orchestrate our extrication in 15 minutes flat over a broken up cell phone call!! According to others (see below) he performed the impossible. Please do give him a call sometime.

One last thing. I will never, ever, book with Hola Sun again.... Don't ask, you don't want to know.

Room Tip: If you can, request room 1024. You get a pretty decent ocean view during the day, although this is...
8 Thank Habanero1976

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Having lived in Central America and travelled extensively through the Caribieen Islands, we choose Cayo Largo for a quiet laid back rest. And that is exactly what it provided. Sol Cayo Largo is a beautiful location for a quiet and unobtrusive holiday.
Like all Resorts of it's age........the Resort has time worn around it's edge's......yet in some way's that adds to it's character. Sol Cayo Largo is an atypical beach resort.......a lovely relief from the over built and monsterous complexes being built in other areas.
Staff at times appear disinterested and in unengaged, but this is just Island living......slow down and relax......it will not take long for you to be on the same page......everything will get done, Island time. And remember, they are working 20 days straight before a break, long hours away from family......and for the price, no one should demand a Royalty's treatment.
Rooms are adequate and whimsical in their decor........the distrested style works well with the overall feel of the resort......yes......chaulking around tubs could use redoing, yes, taps are older, yes, towels and such are somewhat thread bare at times, yes the toilet paper is not charmin, yes, the food is not the Ritz, yes there are cats around the grounds ( they keep the bugs away) yes, night life is limited, yes, there is nudity on portions of the beach, yes, the pool liner is done and needs replacing, yes, the one a la carte is nothing to speak of ( we never even bothered), yes, you can find numerous areas of comparision to home, but it is not home......and that is the whole point.
It is all about the beach here......literally.....it is stunningly beautiful, world class. And the resort provides accomodations that are clean and comfortable, service that we found was never lacking. Food abundant and varied ( but then we are accustomed to their palate choices).
We have decided that Sol Cayo Largo is the place we will return to........it fulfills all we have been looking for in years of travel (never returning anywhere else a second time), literally, as perfect a beach holiday as you might discover.....and, if you have great difficulty with whatever you feel might be lacking in creature comforts......(it is a 4 star.......in Cuba!)....... blame the Helms-Burton Act.......not the wonderful Cuban people.

Room Tip: if booking oceanview request second floor, first floors look at dunes along coast and not water.
6 Thank trobbins
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Dear Srs:
I am very delighted to read your positive comments about your stay in Sol Cayo Largo hotel. Our aim give a good service to our clients and make their stay memorable. Your review makes our effort valuable. Thanks for your nice words about Cuban people and for to be Sol Cayo Largo the only place where you will return.
We hope to welcome you back.
Kind regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My girlfriend and I are again looking to return to Sol Cayo Largo on April 26 x 11 days, 4th year in a row.

Hotel staff is very friendly, rooms (especially in the 2800-3300 section- CO section) are
excellent and we hope to be in the same area this year.

I recommend the Sol Cayo Largo Hotel to all of my friends and they also have enjoyed the experience of this hotel.

Looking forward to our trip.

Douglas Henderson

Room Tip: Depends on which area you prefer.... pool area (more crowded) or in the CO area.... mainly adults...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DouglasH725
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Srs Henderson
Thanks for your next visit to Sol Cayo Largo, for your loyalty and wishes to stay with us many times besides for to recommend our hotel and destination.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you on Friday 26.

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you want a beautiful beach, smiling people a beautiful view on the ocean, this is the place But you won't find five stars accomodation.
We had an ocean view room that was great and clean but the hotel is old and need a little more love. ( specially the bathroom.)

Cuba is Cuba. If you want a five star luxury hotel , that is not it.
If you are not too picky on food and like to go swimming and walk on a beautiful long beach ( We walk for three hours and could have gone further) Sol Cayo Largo is for you..

Room Tip: Section 36, 37, 38 on second floor . It's a superior room with ocean view.
3 Thank louis_michaud
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Mrs,
Thank you for to have chosen our hotel to spend your vacations in Cuba and also for the feedback about your experiences in Cayo Largo.
We would like to see you back in the future in our Sol Cayo Largo hotel.
Best regards,

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The beach is the nicest beach I have ever been to. We came here directly from Varadero, and Cayo Largo outruns Varadero on all areas.
The hotel rooms are spacious and nice, and the location is good, only a short stroll from the beach. There was no crowd (March) and you can walk for hours on the beach and only meet a handful of people if you leave the hotel beaches.
The food and service is ok, and the drinks are good.

We can strongly recommend Sol Cayo Largo.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank majanne_78
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Guest,
I feel very proud to receive your comments about so nice vacations as you let us know you enjoyed in Cayo Largo and our Resort.
Thank for your kind words about our people besides for strongly recommend our hotel and destination. We would be pleased in welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We arrived early @ 8am due to flight times from Havana - how unnecessary. Check-in not until 3pm.
How silly is that. Staff just wonderful, helpful and caring. Accomodation good compared to Havana but rather tired. Beach just amazing,clean,clear and safe. Food for an all-inclusive very good but would be repetative after a week. "Theme" restaurants waste of time and not good. Enjoyed but had to leave a day early as flight back to Havana could not be assured to coincide with return to UK. This needs to be sorted out.

Room Tip: As close to the beach as possible. As far away from the pool as possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank martin b
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Dear Clients:
Thank you for letting us know your impressions about your recently stay in Sol Cayo Largo. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction and really sorry yours perceptions about a la Carte Restaurant.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back if you decide to return to Sol Cayo Largo hotel.

Ontario
Reviewed 17 March 2013

First time to Sol Cayo Largo, second to Cuba (Varadero).

We have cruised several times with Royal so were aware of how different this vacation would be with regard to food. There was some variety but it was very simple food. The lunch chicken on the bbq was really tasty. The pasta bar at evening buffet was great. Had fantastic coffee at the lobby bar every single morning, alone, reading my book. Loved it. We were never hungry. They work with what they have, rights?

Drinks were plentiful, timely and the staff was outstanding. Make an effort to know their names, attempt a bit of Spanish. Tip as you will. It goes a long way.

Rooms tired but clean but who cares about the room? Give me the beach! And the beach was beyond words. Grounds lovely and painstakingly cared for daily. Do not feed the cats. I am an animal lover and it is not in the best interests of these feral cats to be feed by the guests. Yes, the pool liner looks like the back of a mangled whale but I heard the resort will be overhauled in the fall to a 5*? But we swam in the pool anyway.

Not an active resort for young adults. Pretty quiet but I liked that. We did an evening catamaran cruise with a broiled lobster. Yum, and beautiful. Fishing excursion... Scooters were fun to drive to the village and play pool and have mojitos at the open air bar/restaurant at the marina.

I would go again because I love to sit on the beach and read, swim in the waves and relax. If I want to go on an outing I would but the focus for me is the beach. We spoke to many guests who had been there more than once. The value is good.

Lots of Italians and French speaking people. Kind of interesting if you know a bit of French. Many of the Cuban staff spoke French as well. The Italians I spoke to entirely in broken French. It was amusing.

All the staff work SO hard and are so hospitable.

Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

Room Tip: We asked for an ocean facing (be aware there is a dune obstructing the water unless you are on the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cubaboundOntario
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen on your first visit to Cayo Largo, to enjoy your vacations in our Hotel .About cats and pool i mean that we are working hard in order to improve .
It will be a great pleasure for us to receive you once again for delight beaches as you say Beyond Words
At your disposal

Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,532 reviews

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!