“Our 6th. Time Back to this Paradise Island”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Gatineau, Canada
“Our 6th. Time Back to this Paradise Island”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

This is our 6th. time back to Cayo Largo we stayed at the Sol Hotel for two weeks...The cuban people have to be the nicest people there is while traveling, they will help you out in anyway they can to make your stay more enjoyable...

While we were there, there were alot of renovations outside that were being done and alot of landscaping, the hotel is 10 years old this year, the temp. was alway`s in the mid 80`s with lots of sun, it rained on our last day there.

Alot of things have changed since our last visit...for instance the food wasn`t as good as it was the second week, but we are in cuba. Alot of canned fruit, some fresh but not everyday.....we stayed away from the meat because it was not cooked well, you could still see the blood from the chicken and the pork....but there were lots of salads, pasta, ect...

The only thing wrong with our room was the bed, we had a hard times getting to sleep because it was so uncomfortable, I think that after 10 years the beds should be changed, but overall we love this place and will be back next year and the year after...

2 Thank RayPatpottawa
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 20 February 2011
Dear Mr RayPat:
Receive my sincere gratitude in the name of our staff and my own for your preferences and your kindness to let us know your suggestions that help us to improve our services, identifying better the most demanded likes and dislikes of our guest; at the same time, to work more to satisfy them.
The quality and variety of foods are one of most important and continue improvement areas to work on everyday. Even so, we have at its disposal the kindness of our Cuban personnel who are well formed taking account as principal value, to offer a high personalized service with good modals doing their best to know and satisfy the tastes and culinary tradition of the different nationality clients we fortunately receive in our Hotel.
For your next visit, I suggest you to contact us through our Quality and Customer Service to attend your request and dissatisfaction, as to change the bed. We would be very pleased to.
Kind Regards,
Fabrizio Testoni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
Reviewed 30 January 2011

First, let me start off by saying that I've traveled the world, staying at many resorts and am an avid experienced scuba diver (instructor), so it pleases me to be able to provide a positive review for Sol Cayo Largo hotel, the Marina Dive operator and Cayo Largo in general...

The Package - If you booked your trip tp Cayo Largo before December 21st, like I did, you can skip the single-occupancy supplement and save a bundle... My whole trip from Montreal was $1125.

The Hotel - Even though i was on an Air Transat redeye flight arriving at the SOL at 2:00am was painless and the desk staff (Yulietta) were patient and pleasent. I was wisked away via goldcart to my hotel room, which was clean & quiet.

The food - I'm a picky eater and was worried about the food, but I was so happy to find a fantastic variety of choices offered at the buffet. The quality was excellent... I was out diving for most of the day, so I only had time for breackfast & dinner while having some fruits mid-day... They also have a grill behind the swim-ip bar at the far end of the pool, which has a basic but tasty menu.

The Bar - There is a central bar near the lobby that serves great Mojitos, although I prefer Rum&Cokes, and they were perfect, not too strong or weak..... There's also a swim-up bar at the end of the pool...

The Staff - They are warm, wonderful and patient. I didn't just feel welcome, I feel like I made new friends... Please tip a peso for every meal, and a peso for a round of drinks...
Garden staff don't interact very much because they are so busy keeping the place nice, so flip them a peso too...

The beaches - The beach behind the hotel is narrow, but this is not a negative, but creates a beach that is more private and it's just a short skip into the water... Once you follow the raised wooden path & stairs down to the beach, if you turn left then you find the "Family beach". But if you turn right, you walk into a sea of "breast & bums" as they have a totla nude beach...(giggle...) Take the Choo-Choo train from the front lobby and it will take you to the "Big Beaches" with the furthest one (7km) called La Sirena... All of the beaches are pure white sand the consistency of flour... No fleas or bites.. Gorgeous...!

The Scuba Diving - I've dived in many places but I have to say I was pleasently surprised by the quality of the reefs and the sealife in Cayo Largo... I only had time for 3 2-tanks dives in the morning and saw plenty onm every dive; Rays, sharks turtles, eels, and lots of fish..
The Guides were experienced instructors (I had Israel), and we were on a big clean new-looking dive boat that could carry 16, but we were no more than 8. They have clean operation (The fill station was in very good condition and they have new Luxfer-80 tanks). Some of the other divers have been going there for 12 years, and they've never had a problem diving...ever !

The Side-Trip - I took side trip to Havana, which leaves around 8:30am, and gets you back to the hotel around 6:00pm the same day. This is worth the money if you've never been to Habana. We saw the new and old quarters, the first church, and the museum and the lunch was included and arranged at one of the nice restaurants in the old quarter. All I can say was I had a great time and saw lots...

Summary - There is no doubt in my mind that I will go back the next chance I get.... It was a flawless vacation, and my only complaint is that I should have stayed two weeks instead.
This is a place to get away from it all, because it's quiet and layback and not much doing except for the hotel entertainment each evenings... If you're look to party & dance all night, then go to Cayo Coco or Cancun instead... This place is for those to need a break from it all and chill out...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pegasys
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2011

How can I tell you than more that was the best sun trip than I had before years. You only find friends in this hotel more than employees. These peoples was so helpful despite economics problems. The room, the beach and all common space (including bathroom) was very clean and service was enough fast. Spa, Jacuzzi (and gym) was also great. The only problem than I found was worn mattress and hard to found change for pesos at reception (but is a pleasure for most employees to change their tips). The food is very good for ''all include'' If you're correct, you will find this hotel great for this country and for your vacations.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Chinook3
Dear Mr. Chinook:
I am very glad to receive your opinions through so important FORUM as it is Tripadvisor. Please, receive our gratitude for choosing our Resort to enjoy your last vacations in Cuba and Cayo Largo; we kindly send you our sincere apologies for the inconvenient we could may caused to you for some punctual lack of change at the Reception.
I may assure that I had share your comments with our staff, who felt very happy and motivated to continue working to offer a better quality service, with kindness and courtesy, bringing their Cuban culture and smile to make you enjoy unforgettable stay with us.
Wishing to welcome you once more.
Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Sol Cayo Largo is sold as the best hotel on the island. Close to the airport which is fantastic. Check in was very slow, it took us the best part of 45 minutes! Staff wait with hands held out for a tip for fairly sub standard service. Amenities are good. Beach is not the best I have been to but good all the same. Not enough loungers as they are all reserved by other guests at 8am. Evening entertainment is like a Butlins in Skegness. Very average a la carte restaurant...the buffet is slightly better. The BBQ at the snack bar looked good apart from the swarms of flies sitting on the meat. All in all, good location, average service and average food.

Dear Mrs London:

I would like to thank you for letting us know your comments about your last stay in our property, at the same time receive my sincere apologies for not fulfill your expectation and for the disturbances we could may caused to you. It is a real shame, that you have get so sad impression about our personnel services, anyway I may assure that we have share your opinions with them to take care about some bad modal during their job. Even so, most of our personnel are the better value we have at our client disposal. I hope these inconvenient do not apart you for choosing our Sol Melia hotels to enjoy your vacations.

Kind regards,

Kingston, Ont.
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We just returned on Friday from our seventh trip to Sol Cayo Largo, going from plus 30 C to minus 20 C in three hours. A bit of a shock. We were pleasantly surprised to see some definite attempts to improve the grounds. The waterfall at the pool was restarted while we were there and the concrete pond is being refilled. The lawns were greener than past years and a new outdoor patio area has been added in front of Las Trinas. And a new barbeque setup has been added by the lunch bar. The weather was perfect - a solid week of blue sky and mild breezes. The beach was equally perfect - wider than some years and clean. As far as the food is concerned, we never went hungry. No one goes to Cuba for the food but we always left the buffet or the poolside lunch bar satisfied. One recent review complained of gay men trolling the beach but we saw none of that. We would also take exception to the accusation that the staff is only interested in getting tips before providing good service. All the staff we dealt with provided the same service whether we tipped or not. Some of them have become good friends and, in fact, the friendliness of the staff is a major reason we return year after year. They managed to maintain an excellent attitude in spite of possible major layoffs in the tourist industry. This hotel gives us exactly what we want in a vacation destination and we will definitely be returning for an eighth time. If I had to find one fault it would be in the price for a two-week stay. We have always stayed for just one week and this year's price was the lowest we have ever paid. We wanted to stay for two weeks but the price was just too high. It never dropped, even when the price for one week fell drastically. If hotel management reads this I hope they will consider lowering their two-week price or even adding a 10-day stay option.

1 Thank mjl
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2011

We used to go to this hotel and Cayo Largo every year as a family. My wife liked the beaches and I liked that I could fish on my own and see no one for the day if I went to the right places. Now there is a total fishing ban on ALL of the island unless you do it with Avalon or the "deep sea" charter boats. They have a complete monopoly on all fishing. You can not fish on your own anywhere on the island and lots of signs are posted. Why would anyone who doesn't have very DEEP pockets, and wishing to fish on a vacation, go to Cayo Largo? Other parts of Cuba and other countries allow tourists to fish.

Find some other place to go if you think that you might ever want to fish on a southern vacation. The hotel is an average Cuban hotel, we used to like the friendly staff although service at the bars is almost always slow.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank mr_scuro
Moscow Russia
Reviewed 19 January 2011

It was unforgettable and superb holiday for our family. Everything was the best!!! Very proffesional dance team and musical group - fantastic dance shows and songs during dinners in the main restaurant. Rooms, food, service - the best! But especially the beautiful beach has just blown our mind - it's superb! Just imagine: when you look at the beach, you even can't widely open your eyes because bright ultrawhite sand and blue - turquois Caribbean Sea!!! We hope to be there again:)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 22 January 2011
Dear Traveller,
We are pleased that you have spent a good vacation in Cayo Largo where we certainly have a beautiful beach and thank you very much for to have chosen our Sol Cayo Largo hotel for your stay.
We hope to see you back soon.
Regards,
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,525 reviews

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!