“Returning to Sol for our 8th stay”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We have been vacationing in Cuba now for 10 years. We will be returning to Sol on March 5 this year. We go to relax on the naturist beach and we always look forward to renewing our aquaintances with the staff. The staff are always very attentive, professional and friendly. We always try to get a room at the west end ( 3244 is our favourite) and we are never disappointed. Over the years there have been a few minor glitches with the food. Last year at the Ranchon at the beach some of the meals were sub standard and they ran out of white wine, but all in all it was very acceptable. The entertainment staff are wonderful. The kids work very hard on the evening shows and they are very talented performers. The local bands are also wonderful and we especially enjoy the Cuban music. The bar staff is always entertaining ( Noel :0) ) and the serving staff in the buffet are wonderful (Ania ). We particulary like going down to the beach early in the morning and setting up for the day, have coffee at the bar, then a leisurely breakfast, then back to the beach. Going back year after year we have noticed some wear and tear in the rooms and around the resort in general and we can understand that for someone going there for the first time that it may seem a bit sub standard, but we find we generally have nothing to complain about. What makes it all worth while are the friendships we have developed over the years with the staff and their untiring efforts to make our vacations enjoyable. We love Sol Cayo Largo and ope that it never changes.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisandSylvia
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

Dear Guest: I would like to thank you for your loyalty to our Resort, and Cuba, and for having enjoy your last vacations mainly for our staff services and their friendship. I kindly inform you that we keep on working everyday in the improvement areas and getting new add values to make this place more enjoyable for our clients. It would be a pleasure to welcome you next month! Please, do not hesitate to contact us for any help you might need. Sincerely Yours, Fabrizio Testoni.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,509)

Reviewed 16 February 2011

Sol Cayo Largo was recommended to us by friends who had been there 6 times.
We have been to other parts of Cuba 3 times, but we really loved this place.
If you are like us, and are looking for; beautiful beaches, great weather, lovely grounds, clean rooms, and a place to really relax....this is it! The staff at Sol are wonderful! Very attentive and sweet. You can walk for an hour and a half along the beach one way if you want, or you can stand where you are and look at the ocean, or take a train to outer beaches with not so high waves. The food...well not so bad, you will not starve! Every morning, fresh cooked eggs and omelets, fruit, yummy yogurt, toast, tasty juices...dinner, fresh cooked pork roasts, fish and turkey. Don't expect Canadian food, remember you are in a country that does not have access to everything. Enjoy the ride!
My only complaint, and I hope the owners are reading this....your beach restaurant needs work....there were flies all over the open bin of pork, and one of the staff sprayed and insecticide over the meat!!! Not good, not good at all. But rest assured there are other places to eat that are much better, such as the restaurant by the pool. Also, please cook the meat all the way through....if it is not a steak, cook it all the way, the "hamburgers" which were actually" porkburgers" and were not cooked all the way through.
Sand flies on the beach, oh yeah, you cannot avoid them in the Carribean, wear insect repellent on your legs to avoid them.
All in all a wonderful place, we met new wonderful friends, and we would love ot go back to Sol Cayo Largo and most likely will do that!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katenphilcuba

Dear Guest: Your opinions and suggestions are very important to us, I may assure that we would take them into account. Wishing to welcome you next time, to make you enjoy and unforgettable stay with us. Sincerely Yours, Fabrizio Testoni

Reviewed 13 February 2011

Wow what a very relaxing place to go, we call it our Bahamas. Will be back, very nice people
and the island is very small but relaxing. Food was very good. Already planning to go back.
Lindsay Ontario. November 28/2011

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest: I am very glad to receive your nice comments, that I am very glad to share with our staff who feel always motivated to know how do our clients enjoy their vacations in our Hotel. So, it would be a great pleasure if you choose this place for your next trip to Cuba to make you feel Just Like Home!. Kind Regards, Fabrizio Testoni.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

This was our 10th time at The Sol Cayo Largo. We stayed for 3 weeks. Of course the hotel is starting to get old and needs renovations in the bathroom (rust and mildew) but the rooms are very nice and comfortable. Some sliding doors to the balcony also need changing.
The PR team is excellent and always ready to help. The staff overall is always the same for the last 10 years. The change in manager this year was welcome, because the management that was there Jan 2010 was not very pleasant and we could feel the the staff was not happy.
A big plus for the change. The only thing we would like to see improved is the Internet connection and also to try to do something about the people using it for hours on Facebook (which slows the connection drastically).
Overall another exceptionnal vacation for us. We will go back for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2011

Dear Mr AnatraMontreal:
I would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions about some aspects to renovate in our Hotel, we really appreciate them as very good improvement opportunities. It is my pleasure to inform you that we are working hard with our preventive and maintenance programs to get the goal to keep on getting better image and services, so as to succeed our client’s expectations.
Thank you very much for your loyalty, and we will very happy to welcome you once again in a short future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 February 2011

This is our 6th. time back to Cayo Largo we stayed at the Sol Hotel for two weeks...The cuban people have to be the nicest people there is while traveling, they will help you out in anyway they can to make your stay more enjoyable...

While we were there, there were alot of renovations outside that were being done and alot of landscaping, the hotel is 10 years old this year, the temp. was alway`s in the mid 80`s with lots of sun, it rained on our last day there.

Alot of things have changed since our last visit...for instance the food wasn`t as good as it was the second week, but we are in cuba. Alot of canned fruit, some fresh but not everyday.....we stayed away from the meat because it was not cooked well, you could still see the blood from the chicken and the pork....but there were lots of salads, pasta, ect...

The only thing wrong with our room was the bed, we had a hard times getting to sleep because it was so uncomfortable, I think that after 10 years the beds should be changed, but overall we love this place and will be back next year and the year after...

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RayPatpottawa

Dear Mr RayPat:
Receive my sincere gratitude in the name of our staff and my own for your preferences and your kindness to let us know your suggestions that help us to improve our services, identifying better the most demanded likes and dislikes of our guest; at the same time, to work more to satisfy them.
The quality and variety of foods are one of most important and continue improvement areas to work on everyday. Even so, we have at its disposal the kindness of our Cuban personnel who are well formed taking account as principal value, to offer a high personalized service with good modals doing their best to know and satisfy the tastes and culinary tradition of the different nationality clients we fortunately receive in our Hotel.
For your next visit, I suggest you to contact us through our Quality and Customer Service to attend your request and dissatisfaction, as to change the bed. We would be very pleased to.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 30 January 2011

First, let me start off by saying that I've traveled the world, staying at many resorts and am an avid experienced scuba diver (instructor), so it pleases me to be able to provide a positive review for Sol Cayo Largo hotel, the Marina Dive operator and Cayo Largo in general...

The Package - If you booked your trip tp Cayo Largo before December 21st, like I did, you can skip the single-occupancy supplement and save a bundle... My whole trip from Montreal was $1125.

The Hotel - Even though i was on an Air Transat redeye flight arriving at the SOL at 2:00am was painless and the desk staff (Yulietta) were patient and pleasent. I was wisked away via goldcart to my hotel room, which was clean & quiet.

The food - I'm a picky eater and was worried about the food, but I was so happy to find a fantastic variety of choices offered at the buffet. The quality was excellent... I was out diving for most of the day, so I only had time for breackfast & dinner while having some fruits mid-day... They also have a grill behind the swim-ip bar at the far end of the pool, which has a basic but tasty menu.

The Bar - There is a central bar near the lobby that serves great Mojitos, although I prefer Rum&Cokes, and they were perfect, not too strong or weak..... There's also a swim-up bar at the end of the pool...

The Staff - They are warm, wonderful and patient. I didn't just feel welcome, I feel like I made new friends... Please tip a peso for every meal, and a peso for a round of drinks...
Garden staff don't interact very much because they are so busy keeping the place nice, so flip them a peso too...

The beaches - The beach behind the hotel is narrow, but this is not a negative, but creates a beach that is more private and it's just a short skip into the water... Once you follow the raised wooden path & stairs down to the beach, if you turn left then you find the "Family beach". But if you turn right, you walk into a sea of "breast & bums" as they have a totla nude beach...(giggle...) Take the Choo-Choo train from the front lobby and it will take you to the "Big Beaches" with the furthest one (7km) called La Sirena... All of the beaches are pure white sand the consistency of flour... No fleas or bites.. Gorgeous...!

The Scuba Diving - I've dived in many places but I have to say I was pleasently surprised by the quality of the reefs and the sealife in Cayo Largo... I only had time for 3 2-tanks dives in the morning and saw plenty onm every dive; Rays, sharks turtles, eels, and lots of fish..
The Guides were experienced instructors (I had Israel), and we were on a big clean new-looking dive boat that could carry 16, but we were no more than 8. They have clean operation (The fill station was in very good condition and they have new Luxfer-80 tanks). Some of the other divers have been going there for 12 years, and they've never had a problem diving...ever !

The Side-Trip - I took side trip to Havana, which leaves around 8:30am, and gets you back to the hotel around 6:00pm the same day. This is worth the money if you've never been to Habana. We saw the new and old quarters, the first church, and the museum and the lunch was included and arranged at one of the nice restaurants in the old quarter. All I can say was I had a great time and saw lots...

Summary - There is no doubt in my mind that I will go back the next chance I get.... It was a flawless vacation, and my only complaint is that I should have stayed two weeks instead.
This is a place to get away from it all, because it's quiet and layback and not much doing except for the hotel entertainment each evenings... If you're look to party & dance all night, then go to Cayo Coco or Cancun instead... This place is for those to need a break from it all and chill out...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pegasys
Reviewed 27 January 2011

How can I tell you than more that was the best sun trip than I had before years. You only find friends in this hotel more than employees. These peoples was so helpful despite economics problems. The room, the beach and all common space (including bathroom) was very clean and service was enough fast. Spa, Jacuzzi (and gym) was also great. The only problem than I found was worn mattress and hard to found change for pesos at reception (but is a pleasure for most employees to change their tips). The food is very good for ''all include'' If you're correct, you will find this hotel great for this country and for your vacations.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Chinook3

Dear Mr. Chinook:
I am very glad to receive your opinions through so important FORUM as it is Tripadvisor. Please, receive our gratitude for choosing our Resort to enjoy your last vacations in Cuba and Cayo Largo; we kindly send you our sincere apologies for the inconvenient we could may caused to you for some punctual lack of change at the Reception.
I may assure that I had share your comments with our staff, who felt very happy and motivated to continue working to offer a better quality service, with kindness and courtesy, bringing their Cuban culture and smile to make you enjoy unforgettable stay with us.
Wishing to welcome you once more.
Kind regards,

#5 of 64 in Varadero
Ca' del Sol Cuba
Ca' del Sol Cuba
#7 of 14 in Playa Larga

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!