“Best Beach ever, Paridise at its best!”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
canada
“Best Beach ever, Paridise at its best!”
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We have travelled to many places and this is the best beach I have ever seen.
We never go back to the same place twice because there are somany places in the world, but this is a return place anytime.
The Sol Cayo Largo was very friendly and the place is clean. The food is Cuban not alot of flavor but bring some spicies and lots to choose from.
the pizza is great at the pool bar. the lobster is good where ever you get it from.
We did a dinner at the marina at the restaurant there and had a great dinner of lobster and steak and great wine. Lobster is $20 cuc just about every where butit is a nice size and mmmm.
The beach is breathless, aqua blue clolours and powder sand so white. You can walk forever and enjoy the sounds of the ocean and the awesome beach, there really wasn't too many people and for such a beauty spot we had no problems getting chairs or having a private spot in the ocean.
there is nudity but you get a few chuckles out of it and really was not a problem.
We came in that way, there is none around the pool or hotel so stay there if it bothers you.
Staff are so friendly and they aim to please, always smiling and love to chat about anything. Remeber to get 3 drinks and giveone to a hard working staff memeber.
We did up grade to a ocean front room, which was nice to go out and listen to the waves and enjoy the hammock.
Here are my few compliants and I only state them hoping the management reads and learns what can make paridise be perfect.
Stock the fridge, really what does a can of pop cost, we get it free anyway, all the other resorts re stock daily.
Some english music would have been nice once in a while, instead of the christmas music at dinner and the same cd everyday at the pool.
Would be niced to see all the water features working at the resort, maybe next time.
I upgraded so that we could enjoy coffee every morning in our room and yes thats alot of money for coffee but it is what we enjoy, but they had no coffee all week for the coffee machine, that wewere very disappointed since we bought a large of baily's to have with our coffee and hammock.
The massage was great and for $25cuc you can not beat that for an hour.
Other then that all was great there was plenty of chairs at the pool and the beach.
Taxis were cheap enough and no problem to get.
Check in was good and check out was great as well.
taking a taxie to the airport was a great idea to beat the crowds
We can not believe we did not find this paridise before now and would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank keshagirl
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
Dear Guest: Thank you very much for your kind comments and so important suggestions, we would really appreciate if you give us the opportunity to welcome you once more in a short future. Receive the gratefulness in the name of our staff and my own. I remain at your complete disposal. Kind Regards, Fabrizio Testoni.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Carleton Place, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We have been vacationing in Cuba now for 10 years. We will be returning to Sol on March 5 this year. We go to relax on the naturist beach and we always look forward to renewing our aquaintances with the staff. The staff are always very attentive, professional and friendly. We always try to get a room at the west end ( 3244 is our favourite) and we are never disappointed. Over the years there have been a few minor glitches with the food. Last year at the Ranchon at the beach some of the meals were sub standard and they ran out of white wine, but all in all it was very acceptable. The entertainment staff are wonderful. The kids work very hard on the evening shows and they are very talented performers. The local bands are also wonderful and we especially enjoy the Cuban music. The bar staff is always entertaining ( Noel :0) ) and the serving staff in the buffet are wonderful (Ania ). We particulary like going down to the beach early in the morning and setting up for the day, have coffee at the bar, then a leisurely breakfast, then back to the beach. Going back year after year we have noticed some wear and tear in the rooms and around the resort in general and we can understand that for someone going there for the first time that it may seem a bit sub standard, but we find we generally have nothing to complain about. What makes it all worth while are the friendships we have developed over the years with the staff and their untiring efforts to make our vacations enjoyable. We love Sol Cayo Largo and ope that it never changes.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisandSylvia
Dear Guest: I would like to thank you for your loyalty to our Resort, and Cuba, and for having enjoy your last vacations mainly for our staff services and their friendship. I kindly inform you that we keep on working everyday in the improvement areas and getting new add values to make this place more enjoyable for our clients. It would be a pleasure to welcome you next month! Please, do not hesitate to contact us for any help you might need. Sincerely Yours, Fabrizio Testoni.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Sol Cayo Largo was recommended to us by friends who had been there 6 times.
We have been to other parts of Cuba 3 times, but we really loved this place.
If you are like us, and are looking for; beautiful beaches, great weather, lovely grounds, clean rooms, and a place to really relax....this is it! The staff at Sol are wonderful! Very attentive and sweet. You can walk for an hour and a half along the beach one way if you want, or you can stand where you are and look at the ocean, or take a train to outer beaches with not so high waves. The food...well not so bad, you will not starve! Every morning, fresh cooked eggs and omelets, fruit, yummy yogurt, toast, tasty juices...dinner, fresh cooked pork roasts, fish and turkey. Don't expect Canadian food, remember you are in a country that does not have access to everything. Enjoy the ride!
My only complaint, and I hope the owners are reading this....your beach restaurant needs work....there were flies all over the open bin of pork, and one of the staff sprayed and insecticide over the meat!!! Not good, not good at all. But rest assured there are other places to eat that are much better, such as the restaurant by the pool. Also, please cook the meat all the way through....if it is not a steak, cook it all the way, the "hamburgers" which were actually" porkburgers" and were not cooked all the way through.
Sand flies on the beach, oh yeah, you cannot avoid them in the Carribean, wear insect repellent on your legs to avoid them.
All in all a wonderful place, we met new wonderful friends, and we would love ot go back to Sol Cayo Largo and most likely will do that!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katenphilcuba
Dear Guest: Your opinions and suggestions are very important to us, I may assure that we would take them into account. Wishing to welcome you next time, to make you enjoy and unforgettable stay with us. Sincerely Yours, Fabrizio Testoni
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Wow what a very relaxing place to go, we call it our Bahamas. Will be back, very nice people
and the island is very small but relaxing. Food was very good. Already planning to go back.
Lindsay Ontario. November 28/2011

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest: I am very glad to receive your nice comments, that I am very glad to share with our staff who feel always motivated to know how do our clients enjoy their vacations in our Hotel. So, it would be a great pleasure if you choose this place for your next trip to Cuba to make you feel Just Like Home!. Kind Regards, Fabrizio Testoni.
montreal, qc
Reviewed 5 February 2011

This was our 10th time at The Sol Cayo Largo. We stayed for 3 weeks. Of course the hotel is starting to get old and needs renovations in the bathroom (rust and mildew) but the rooms are very nice and comfortable. Some sliding doors to the balcony also need changing.
The PR team is excellent and always ready to help. The staff overall is always the same for the last 10 years. The change in manager this year was welcome, because the management that was there Jan 2010 was not very pleasant and we could feel the the staff was not happy.
A big plus for the change. The only thing we would like to see improved is the Internet connection and also to try to do something about the people using it for hours on Facebook (which slows the connection drastically).
Overall another exceptionnal vacation for us. We will go back for sure.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, 20 February 2011
Dear Mr AnatraMontreal:
I would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions about some aspects to renovate in our Hotel, we really appreciate them as very good improvement opportunities. It is my pleasure to inform you that we are working hard with our preventive and maintenance programs to get the goal to keep on getting better image and services, so as to succeed our client’s expectations.
Thank you very much for your loyalty, and we will very happy to welcome you once again in a short future.
Kind Regards,
Fabrizio Testoni
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2011

This is our 6th. time back to Cayo Largo we stayed at the Sol Hotel for two weeks...The cuban people have to be the nicest people there is while traveling, they will help you out in anyway they can to make your stay more enjoyable...

While we were there, there were alot of renovations outside that were being done and alot of landscaping, the hotel is 10 years old this year, the temp. was alway`s in the mid 80`s with lots of sun, it rained on our last day there.

Alot of things have changed since our last visit...for instance the food wasn`t as good as it was the second week, but we are in cuba. Alot of canned fruit, some fresh but not everyday.....we stayed away from the meat because it was not cooked well, you could still see the blood from the chicken and the pork....but there were lots of salads, pasta, ect...

The only thing wrong with our room was the bed, we had a hard times getting to sleep because it was so uncomfortable, I think that after 10 years the beds should be changed, but overall we love this place and will be back next year and the year after...

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RayPatpottawa
Dear Mr RayPat:
Receive my sincere gratitude in the name of our staff and my own for your preferences and your kindness to let us know your suggestions that help us to improve our services, identifying better the most demanded likes and dislikes of our guest; at the same time, to work more to satisfy them.
The quality and variety of foods are one of most important and continue improvement areas to work on everyday. Even so, we have at its disposal the kindness of our Cuban personnel who are well formed taking account as principal value, to offer a high personalized service with good modals doing their best to know and satisfy the tastes and culinary tradition of the different nationality clients we fortunately receive in our Hotel.
For your next visit, I suggest you to contact us through our Quality and Customer Service to attend your request and dissatisfaction, as to change the bed. We would be very pleased to.
Kind Regards,
Fabrizio Testoni
Montreal
Reviewed 30 January 2011

First, let me start off by saying that I've traveled the world, staying at many resorts and am an avid experienced scuba diver (instructor), so it pleases me to be able to provide a positive review for Sol Cayo Largo hotel, the Marina Dive operator and Cayo Largo in general...

The Package - If you booked your trip tp Cayo Largo before December 21st, like I did, you can skip the single-occupancy supplement and save a bundle... My whole trip from Montreal was $1125.

The Hotel - Even though i was on an Air Transat redeye flight arriving at the SOL at 2:00am was painless and the desk staff (Yulietta) were patient and pleasent. I was wisked away via goldcart to my hotel room, which was clean & quiet.

The food - I'm a picky eater and was worried about the food, but I was so happy to find a fantastic variety of choices offered at the buffet. The quality was excellent... I was out diving for most of the day, so I only had time for breackfast & dinner while having some fruits mid-day... They also have a grill behind the swim-ip bar at the far end of the pool, which has a basic but tasty menu.

The Bar - There is a central bar near the lobby that serves great Mojitos, although I prefer Rum&Cokes, and they were perfect, not too strong or weak..... There's also a swim-up bar at the end of the pool...

The Staff - They are warm, wonderful and patient. I didn't just feel welcome, I feel like I made new friends... Please tip a peso for every meal, and a peso for a round of drinks...
Garden staff don't interact very much because they are so busy keeping the place nice, so flip them a peso too...

The beaches - The beach behind the hotel is narrow, but this is not a negative, but creates a beach that is more private and it's just a short skip into the water... Once you follow the raised wooden path & stairs down to the beach, if you turn left then you find the "Family beach". But if you turn right, you walk into a sea of "breast & bums" as they have a totla nude beach...(giggle...) Take the Choo-Choo train from the front lobby and it will take you to the "Big Beaches" with the furthest one (7km) called La Sirena... All of the beaches are pure white sand the consistency of flour... No fleas or bites.. Gorgeous...!

The Scuba Diving - I've dived in many places but I have to say I was pleasently surprised by the quality of the reefs and the sealife in Cayo Largo... I only had time for 3 2-tanks dives in the morning and saw plenty onm every dive; Rays, sharks turtles, eels, and lots of fish..
The Guides were experienced instructors (I had Israel), and we were on a big clean new-looking dive boat that could carry 16, but we were no more than 8. They have clean operation (The fill station was in very good condition and they have new Luxfer-80 tanks). Some of the other divers have been going there for 12 years, and they've never had a problem diving...ever !

The Side-Trip - I took side trip to Havana, which leaves around 8:30am, and gets you back to the hotel around 6:00pm the same day. This is worth the money if you've never been to Habana. We saw the new and old quarters, the first church, and the museum and the lunch was included and arranged at one of the nice restaurants in the old quarter. All I can say was I had a great time and saw lots...

Summary - There is no doubt in my mind that I will go back the next chance I get.... It was a flawless vacation, and my only complaint is that I should have stayed two weeks instead.
This is a place to get away from it all, because it's quiet and layback and not much doing except for the hotel entertainment each evenings... If you're look to party & dance all night, then go to Cayo Coco or Cancun instead... This place is for those to need a break from it all and chill out...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#10 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!