Hotel Pelicano
US$135
  • Breakfast included
Sol Cayo Largo(Cayo Largo)
US$263
US$230
Melia.com
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Playa Larga(Playa Larga)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
Pio Cua(Playa Giron)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Guanaba's nest(Playa Giron)
  • Beachfront
3,017 results
All reviewszun zunla yanalobby barpizzafishchickenentre mareskids poolkids clubplaya sirenabeautiful beachbeach restauranta la cartebuffet restaurantocean viewpasta barany questions
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just came back from Sol Pelicano (spent one week from March 6th to 13th)
Before the details, it was an amazing vacation and I would like to revisit Cayo Largo again in the future.
now, here are the details
Room
Pros : Clean, almost no bugs (except for ants), good size, have a nice view.
Cons : Dirty Linen/Towels (no way to get clean ones, I tried everything), tired equipment, the A/C is really weak, I guess that's the real reason they close in summer, the vent fan was not working in my kids room, the washroom door is made of transparent glass ... (I think ours was an exception).
Beach
Sol Pelicano beach
Pros : Beautiful, Clean, wide, enough chairs.
Cons : Wavey (All week it was) I don't mind, actually my kids enjoyed playing in the waves, no snorkeling off-shore, yes some told me I can walk to the left (but didn't want to go across the nude area), not enough umbrellas.
Paraiso beach
Pros : Amazing (you can't miss it)
Cons : transportation is not consistent (I had to pay Taxi both ways, because there were no spots on the train), be very careful in the area near the trees, I got like a zillion spikes in my feet from the plants, wear your sandals, no facilities at all, so bring your own drinks and food.
Amenities
Restaurants
Three restaurants, the main one was buffet restaurant where you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Then the other two Lalyana and Rancheon are two a la cart ones.

Buffet Restaurant
Pros : Nice design, many options, amazing pasta, good service
Cons : food options are limited (for example it is an island I really expected more sea food items only fish for the whole week was annoying), very limited options in fruit/vegetable

Rancheon
Pros : Amazing setting.
Cons : Way less options, basically stuck to one plate, waiter was not friendly, felt really pushed to buy the lobster.
Also, they have one nice pizza place, and the ZunZun cafeteria by the swimming pool and a lobby bar
Pizza Place
Pros : Nice corner with few tables, amazing pizza.
Cons : inadequate service, only one waiter for like 12 tables, very limited options.
ZunZun Place
Pros : Nice Setting, daily BBQ lunch, slightly better menu for snacks, well staffed.
Cons : inconsistent quality (I got one sandwich, that had two different pieces of meat, one tender and one chewy !!!).

Lobby Bar
=========
Pros : Good drinks (Coffee is good, Pine Colada is good), good service.
Cons : limited seating, I actually never had problem finding a seat, but we are talking about spots for like 20 people.
The general note was the water in the island is not drinkable, even when you avoid drinking it, it is still used in making ice and in making hot beverages (coffee/Tea), also I would assume that this is the main reason why linens/Towels are not clean and smell, the water is probably hard and detergent can't make it.

Trips
The Island is out of this world, anything you do you will enjoy, basically the trips I did were
1- Catamaran cruises, one during the day and one sunset (I tried this and it was beautiful, this sunset will stay with you)
2- Also, I went to the Marina, where you can visit the Turtle farm, and the marina has amazing fish, the bank and 4 poor craft vendors.
3- I also did a fishing trip and it was the best (total surprise), biggest catch in my life.

Good Luck guys.
Enjoy it and brush way the little things, don't let them spoil this paradise.

Room Tip: Seond floor with a balcony, mine were 5310 and 5312.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MrASM
solpelicano, Director General at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for trust in our Sol Pelicano hotel and for choosing our resort in Cayo Largo. We analyzed immediately your comments and always say the positive and negative comments fill us with satisfaction and observations help us to improve day by day. About your comment in terms of the variety of meals and restaurants Buffet, we work with the chef to reverse this situation immediately and beat the quality of these. We have already taken all the measures about the situation that points us about the dirty Linen /Towels, we will work on it for not happen again. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction. I hope you give us the opportunity to visit us again to reverse their opinions, we will work according to each of your words because that is our commitment to satisfy our clients so they can go home with the taste of having made the journey of dreams.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I've been at the Sol Pelicano now 7 times. I have seen some changes, not all for the better. But it is the people who work there who make this place so special and why people keep on returning again and again. We went there the first time in 2003 when the kids still attended the Mini-Club. This year I returned for one week with my husband and for another week with 2 of our kids who are now in their twenties and still remember the songs the sang at 'Mini Disco'.
In 3 1/2 hours by plane you are in Paradise and it takes max. 10 minutes to get to the hotel from the airport which is a wonderful plus (no long bus rides).

Again they were out of a lot of things (such as French Fries and Calamaris unfortunately). This is usually better on the mainland. But we do not go there to stuff ourselves. We always find something good and healthy to eat; the fish is just so fresh and delicious. This time they even had limes!!! Angel still makes the best Mojitos in the land at the ZunZun and he trained some people well. Guillermo, Yosvani (?) and Anita in the Lobby Bar did a fabulous job. It became a ritual for us after dinner to go for a Spanish Coffee that looked great and tasted even better. The guys at the Pizza place/and La Yana restaurant did a wonderful job to make us feel welcome (thank you Carlos, Gonzalo, Eduardo and Ernesto). True that some days they did not have everything on the menu (such as tuna or garlic) but you just have to be flexible. For the price you pay and the beauty of the ocean & beach it is still worth it. Dinaldo and Yanni at the Ranchon still remembered us and always gave an excellent service. I must not forget our wonderful dining room waiters Rene & Adolfo who always made sure they found a table for us.

The rooms are very clean and I love the (hard working) girls who do all those animals with towels and bed sheets. I noticed that they did not have Kleenex boxes in the rooms any more - I guess they are now in the restaurants!! LOL.
The dance shows were very nice as usual and the dancers practiced a lot and mingled with the guest and asked them to dance after the shows ; Moulin Rouge I have seen now (too) many times. They used to change??? But the Karaoke and Mr. Pelicano were terrible the week we were there as was the 'award show'.
I tried diving for the first time (first pool, than ocean) and had a great and very patient teacher in Israel and decided to learn how to dive in a pool course at home.
I would hope for the staff working there that they kept the hotel open longer than till May only. Most of them are unemployed between May and November and they cannot find work somewhere else for those months or transfer to another hotel. We have stayed at the Sol Cayo Largo once as well but the atmosphere is 100% better at the Pelicano.
I am sure we'll go back again in the future.
Thank you everybody for 2 wonderful relaxing weeks in the sun.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Birgit E
solpelicano, Director General at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Birgit

Thank you for choosing Sol Pelicano Hotel for your holidays and for your comments on Trip Advisor. I have attentively read your comments. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction. I’ll do reach your opinion to all our employees, which rejoice to know that they have met their expectations. Sol Pelicano continues to be the first hotel in Cayo Largo resort thanks to all Canadians’possitive remarks that over years choose this destination for their vacation.
Is a pleasure for us that you enjoy your first dive in Cayo Largo, one of the most wonderfull place for this activities.

We hope to see you again here with your all family.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My wife and i spent another wonderful two weeks at the Pelicano.This was our fifth time there and it just gets better every time.The staff are so welcoming and do everything they can to make your stay unforgetable.There is lots of us that go back every year because the staff are so great.Food is good,entertainment is good and you can't beat the beach.Rooms are clean as is every part of the resort.Now to the person that made the bad coments about room 4313.I have stayed in that room two times and had requested that room for this trip.There is nothing wrong with it and if you thought there was you should have contacted the front desk and they would have done everthing they could to make it the way you expect.This is not the place to complain about it,talk to Alejandro he will make sure everything is done to make your stay the best.As i told him he should bring his staff to Canada to teach our people how to give great service.Going back again in 2015.

Room Tip: They are all good just depends on where you like to be.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank harry58

Dear Harry,

I really appreciate that you let us know your opinion about your stay in our Sol Pelicano hotel. It is very important for us to know the point of view of the guests who visit us. I’ll do reach your opinion to all our employees, which rejoice to know that they have met their expectations once again. It will be a pleasure for us if we will see you again the next year.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just returned from Sol Pelican with my wife. We are elderly and will never forget the hospitality experienced by their Customer Service Manager - Loida. She was incredible. We required some care and she went beyond what a hotel can do for customers. Loida is the reason we will recommend Sol Pelicano and return next year - but for 2 weeks! The beach is breathless and the prettiest we have ever seen.
The other staff were just as magical. They were kind funny and so professional.
The food was spectacular. So many people review Cuba's food to be bland but that is not true. We are Italian and we went to sleep every night so full of great cheeses, cold cuts, roast beef, chicken, great salads, fresh fruit, fresh bread, etc....Certainly an abundance.
Thank you, Sol Pelicano. We are grateful for all you did for us - especiallyLoida! YOU ARE INCREDIBLE AND THANK YOU.........xoxo Vito and Lina

Room Tip: The rooms near the pools were convenient, but it doesnt matter because they are all close to everything.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Vito A

Dear Vito and Lina

Thanks for your marvelous comments about the Hotel Sol Pelicano in general, there are no words that can express the satisfaction in knowing that you have returned to home with the image of a wonderful journey. 'll do reach your opinion to Loyda and all our employees, which rejoice to know that they have met your expectations. We hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We just returned from a trip to Sol Pelicano where we stayed from Feb. 28-March 6th. The last time we were here, we swore we would never come again as per problems we discovered from last two times we have stayed here. The first trip was great and for the most part, we were happy, explaining why we returned. The only reason we returned this time was because of all the good reports that it has been receiving this season and I'm not sure we would have returned except for the cheap price at under $700 ! I just figured maybe things have changed here to make it more popular then in previous years.
Well....we were wrong and as a matter of fact is the worse we have ever seen!
First, a good new service we received was the main restaurant obvious was very concerned with people with colds because you don't get napkins anymore ....YOU GET TISSUES instead so you could blow your nose while eating! What a Great idea management ! Kleenex tissue stocks must have gone up !
Who would have thunk of an idea like that...WOW !
The other thing we saw while there was, I hope you were observant, was that the pasta sauce sat on a cold plate, at the station, the whole time we were there, without be refrigerated for a week. If there was a health department in Cuba , this place would have closed down for sure. Getting fries with our sandwiches after a long day on the beach used to be a favourite thing for us to do but this year but NO French fries this year !!! Things must be getting tough for a large company like Sol Club not to have fries for their guests. Finally....the guys at the pizza restaurant started not giving out menus because they had very little product to put on them...only bacon and cheese. Shame !
Lastly, we were forced to get out luggage from under the bus at the airport because there was no staff to help us out and I had to crawl underneath to drag out ours and other luggage, to get checked in.
We are not going to return to this resort ever again, even if the price was under $400 . Its a shame but a person has to draw the line somewhere to have a good time and good food at the same time. Shame on you management.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ricksandy
solpelicano, Director General at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Sandy
Thank you for choosing Sol Pelicano Hotel for your holidays. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction. Our apologize for yours perceptions about our service. Operate on an island like Cayo Largo can have difficulties in the logistics, however we do everything in our power to provide the varieties that they deserve.

What made this place different to the rest of the world? His wonderfull beaches like Paraiso and Sirena are one of the most beautifull beaches on the world (the 11st ). I hope you give us the opportunity to visit us again to reverse their opinions, we will work according to each of your words because that is our commitment to satisfy our clients so they can go home with the taste of having made the journey of dreams.