“Things to do there”
Review of Cayo Largo

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Southampton Parish, Bermuda
12 helpful votes
“Things to do there”
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I am writing this after my third visit to Cayo Largo.
Scuba diving was the reason I went to Cayo Largo. Ten days of diving this time. Amazing! We were lucky to find a whale shark in our very first dive. The Cuban instructors, Israel, Ridder – thank you kindly! Nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, moray eels – every day, every dive. One dive costs 37CUC. A bus picks up divers from hotels starting 8:45am. Usually the diving is finished by 2:30pm. I will go diving there again in a heartbeat. My favorite dive sites there are Punta Meliza, La Montana, Espondrilo. For the shallow dives Aquarium I & II are very nice with tons of fish. I shall say that diving back in April this year wasn’t nearly as spectacular as this time. I don’t know why we did not see any sharks back in April.
Be aware that lionfish is invading Cuban waters and it does it fast. 6 months ago I recall seeing just one or two lionfish there. This time an instructor killed 26(!) of them in just one dive and that’s guiding the tourists (us). Yes, killed them, don’t be surprised. This is not going to save Caribbean islands from these invasive species of course. But at least this is going to slow it down a tiny bit. Although it is a deadly venomous fish it is a very tasty one. They may cook one for you if you insist. Of course having a lobster between the dives is more traditional. Save a lobster, get a lionfish instead. You won’t regret it!

The marina is beautiful. Do not forget to visit the Turtle Farm there. It only costs 1CUC.
It appears they are about to start renting out 25 horse power small boats at the marina. I would definitely get one to explore the mangroves and lagoons.

The island is tiny and one could get bored there (I doubt that!) after a few days. This time we discovered horse riding. What an experience! For 6 CUC/hour a guide will take you through the bushes to the ocean. You’ll see things you think could never exist on this island. Birds, sand crabs, an occasional garden snake, iguanas, even salt water crocodiles if you are really lucky. Yes, salt water crocodiles live there in mangroves. They are masters of camouflage, but you’ll find one if you really want to.
The best guide is Ramon. Hi speak good English. He will teach you to ride a horse even if you have never done so. He will tell you so many stories about this island and Cuba – you simply can’t find this kind of information in any books. On our very last day we went for a ride with a guide Alberto as Ramon was busy that day. Our bus was leaving to the airport at 6:30pm. I booked a horse ride from 4-6pm. We already checked out and had nothing else to do. Alberto speaks no English, nada. All he knew that I wanted to see a sunset. He took us all the way to Paraiso beach. That’s 8 km. The sunset was magnificent. But I could not explain to Alberto using a sign language that our bus is leaving tonight and it is already 6 pm. (A note to myself to learn a few Spanish words next time!) He did not care that I paid just for 2 hours. He just wanted us to enjoy the beach and the sunset. And he could not understand why this weird gringo was showing him his watch again and again. We made it just in time to get on the bus.

Great place with great friendly people!

6 Thank Sergey G
Fakarava, French Polynesia
149 helpful votes
“Still love Cayo Largo!”
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Preferring to explore the Caribbean completely, I try new places each trip but this time decided to return to a place I enjoyed 10 years ago. Cayo Largo is even more stunning than I remember, and this time I was able to stay at the Sol CL, which I found to be a noticeable upgrade from Pelicano. Ten years ago, Sol had not yet been built and Pelicano was the best on the island at that time. This Spanish hotel chain has got a real talent for putting it all together for tourists - restaurants, staff, evening entertainment and facilities. I now swear by them.

I took a taxi every day to Sirena which now has a good sized open air restaurant and bar - great fun snorkeling on the "bay" side where I hand fed large fish which then followed me everywhere. Before the hurricanes Sirena came to a long, elegant white point. Now it's a rather undefined short and rounded end - but still so beautiful.

I had a particularly good time on the snorkel/sunset catamaran trip - wish I was heading out on it tomorrow.

3 Thank Sirena100
Calgary
26 helpful votes
“Serenity now.”
Reviewed 12 January 2009

If you're reading this, you probably already know that Cayo Largo is a small, mostly undeveloped islet off the southern coast of Cuba.

I went there because I wanted a tropical vacation, with the ease of an all-inclusive resort experience. That being said, I also wanted something different, less "Americanized" than a lot of the other resort destinations in the Caribbean (Cancun springs to mind).

Cayo Largo is quiet, untouched and beautiful. The beaches and water are stunning. The people are generous and kind. The pace is slow, and there isn't much to do on the island - you tend to get creative and find more simplistic ways to pass the time - and that's just how I like it.

If you are looking for an island desitination where you can shake off the trappings of your busy, overburdened Western life, this is the place. Absolute peace.

4 Thank ecullingham
Donegal Town, Ireland
6 helpful votes
“Cayo Largo”
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I was in Cayo Largo years ago. It was honestly the most idyllic island I have ever been on. Miles of pure white sand and warm, turquoise water. I still think of the peace I felt when I was there. It was a very quiet resort and often there would be only a dozen people within view on the beach. I don't remember the name of the hotel, but the rooms were basic enough and the food was good (and I was a strict vegetarian at the time and hard to please). I'd absolutely LOVE to go back.

Been to Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!