“One in a lifetime experience”

The Gibbon Experience
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Huay Xai
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have to say, given some of the previous reviews I was a bit nervous going into this experience but had been so excited to do a trip like this so just went for it - and so happy I did! This is not an adventure for luxury travelers and you need to set the right expectations i.e. you are going to be in a forest; there will be bugs; there is A LOT of hiking up steep hills; but it is SO AMAZING and you will feel very accomplished when you are done. We had a wonderful group and guides (Khamping and Buon Luon), the initial trek was longer than usual because our 4WD did get stuck in the mud (rainy season), food was delicious, tree house was very clean and a spectacular view! And of course we always wanted to do more zip lining. Our group was very lucky and spotted Gibbons 2 of 3 days so all in all we couldn't have asked for more. GREAT EXPERIENCE!

5  Thank marissalanteri .
There are newer reviews for The Gibbon Experience

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Yes, it's expensive. Yes, you are going to sweat a lot. Yes, you'll probably get bitten by bugs. But this is so worth it.

I think all the cons I could possibly think of can be offset by the exhilarating thrill of ziplining at such high heights and just that childhood dream of living in a treehouse. This adventure is like nothing else.

I've seen some reviews where people have complained about poor or a lack of communication. I have no idea where this is coming from because they were always responsive to all my emails. In fact, I decided not to book in advance and just emailed the office 5 days before planning to arrive in houay xai --- it worked out perfectly; the office responded quickly and I was able to do the gibbon express according to my own schedule.

manage your own expectations. this is a very physical activity --- the people who are going to enjoy this are those with an adventurous spirit... you are going to get dirty and the food won't be cooked by a Michelin star chef. so what? you get the experience of a lifetime!!

Our guides (ken and thavon) were so nice and funny. My entire group just got along so well because no one complained and just wanted to have fun.

While the hike to the ziplines was quite challenging, there were plenty of rest stops along the way. Take your time --- they won't leave you behind. Warning that they only supply 1
bottle of water for the hike --- I'd say you need at least two to be comfortable.

Finally, pay attention to the safety instructions. While the guides will check to make sure you are ready to zipline in the beginning, they also won't baby you. By the end of the first day, everyone in my group was responsible for his/herself on the ziplines.

A truly rewarding experience!

1  Thank Diseree D
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The gibbons experience didn't disappoint, it was everything we wanted it to be and much more !
From the beginning, the journey out to the village in the back of the 4wd vehicle was awesome and then meeting all the local village people and children and see their way of life was eye opening. Seeing children on the back of Buffalos walking through the jungle, other children playing soccer and having a great time.
We walked across the river crossing and started our hike through the jungle antil we reached a resting place and were fitted with our harnesses. From then on it was the adrenalin rush of our first ziplining experience through the jungle, across the canopy of the tress and the most wonderful views ever. Every Zipline was different and all excellent, ranging from 300mtrs to approx 800mtrs in length and all had awesome views across the jungle.
The bushwalking was quite intense and rugged although very enjoyable.
The treehouse was an unbelievable experience, great set up, great views, food was enjoyable and plentiful as well. Our guides didn't disappoint either, always a smile on their face and did what they could to assist.
Overall an outstanding adventure experience and a must do to tick off your bucket list, sleeping in a treehouse in the middle of the jungle in laos for a couple of nights, doesn't get much better than that.

3  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After reading some of the reviews we were skeptical, but it is quite an amazing experience. Although we didn't see gibbons we were fortunate to have an amazing group of people to spend 3 days with on the waterfall experience. Those who expect a luxury tourism package should stay away but if you enjoy being submersed in the jungle with stunning scenery and some zipping action than this is something I highly recommend. As for the guides, we had two excellent guides, their English isn't Amazing but they tried there hardest pointng out fruits we could eat interesting bugs and had a lot of enthusiasm for their job, watching them zipline proved it as they always had a smile in their face. Highly recommended it your passing through the north of Laos!

1  Thank Zak_duench
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We did the classic experience and had a blast. We had two great guides, Jeun and Phistanou, who were fantastic, really friendly and we had some great conversations with them. In our group there was only my partner and I and one other guy which was nice. For me the best part was the whole experience of staying in the jungle in a treehouse. It's pretty cool. Ziplining was cool too, but always remember to check your carabiners. While it's on the high end of the budget for Asia it's unforgettable and I Would highly recommend it.

1  Thank MoniqueElizabeth