“Not for the faint hearted”

The Gibbon Experience
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Huay Xai
Reviewed 14 March 2017

You need to be fit & brave to tackle this unique adventure but the rewards are great. A very exhilarating experience indeed. Make sure you take some time away from the ziplines to experience the jungle itself, which offers many hidden surprises if you stop, look and listen.

2  Thank nobryan
in 16 reviews
"drinking water"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

I did the three day classic - amazing! The "gentle" hiking is not so gentle but everyone managed. Our group was in treehouse 1 and it was stunning. Food, guide, Forrest, animals - everything did not disappoint.

1  Thank BeritK123
Reviewed 9 March 2017

This is the #1 highlight of my six-month trip across Asia. Outstanding ziplines, posh treehouses, great food, good guides. Reasonable price.

Highly recommend!

1  Thank GlobetrotterATaylor
Reviewed 9 March 2017

This was one of the best activities that I did on my 7 weeks of travelling. Hiking, zip lining, swimming (on the Waterfall tour), and sleeping in tree houses was all awesome. It was super hot though and the hiking was very rigorous. You must be in good shape to do the waterfall adventure. We had one person leave halfway though as it was too difficult. The freedom of being able to go zipping around by myself (after we were taught by the guide for a while) was so liberating! The food was good and our guides were great. The only thing that could have made it better was seeing some gibbons!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 February 2017

I'm a little conflicted on Gibbon Experience.

On one hand, the ziplining experience is amazing, guides are incredibly fun and nice. They love their job. They have the perfect combination of professionalism and friendliness.

On the other hand, I made lots of research after we came back to Huay Xai and I have some ethical concerns. The owner is not local (he's French) and he's charging waaaay too much than it should be. I've researched a bit what they pay everyone and broken down the costs, and it doesn't add up at all! You're paying almost $200 for the express tour, but the materials used in the treehouse are really bad. Let me explain in detail: You get some nylon pillows and nylon (I think) blankets that make you sweat and catch cold at night. Now I know the conditions don't have to be perfect in a treehouse, but it doesn't cost a thing to get better blankets (and better materials are lighter to carry too). But no, they have to save every penny to make more profit. Our treehouse was also full of bees that made it impossible to use the toilet (all 10 people that spent the night there complained about this and we heard this problem doesn't exist in other treehouses)

As I said, I made some research afterwards and learnt how much they're paying the guides within your $190. Prepare yourselves: $15 per trip! (2 guides take care of 10-15 people groups, so it's around $3 per guide within your individual £190). The ladies that prepare the beds and the food are paid a few cents from your $190. It's expensive to set up the ziplines but they change the cables every 3 years! They claim they employ over 200 people but this includes every single person that ever works for them. Your group of 10-15 people employ only 10-20 people. Imagine the amount the French owner is earning!!!

We heard that some conservation work is going on that might cost some money but there are no gibbons in the area to see (I'm talking about the Express Tour) and we still heard gunshot at night which makes you think: Is there really some costly work being done on conservation or is it just some eco-tourism marketing trick?

Long story short, I still recommend this experience, but if you're willing to give $190 to a French guy who spends only a fraction of this on staff & materials, at least also favourably tip the guides & the girls who prepare the food and the beds. Otherwise it's not fair to go.

13  Thank AlperGondiken
jef r, General Manager at The Gibbon Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Strange title... and comment. Makes me wonder about methodology, data source and rigor in cost calculation.
Today is payday There 140 permanent staff at the Gibbon Experience -although a visitor may only meet a fraction of them. They are (well) paid 12 months a year, not just during peak season.
Likewise I wish we could just "buy" conservation as the comment suggests, that would make our life MUCH more simple !
More seriously, we are happy to reconsider any aspect of our mission. However, for this kind of express analysis I suggest data be at least cross-checked with our office or at a governmental source. That would result in a more reliable review.