“Love it ”

The Gibbon Experience
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Huay Xai
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

I was there during rainy Season, even tho it was raining a lot but it was totally wroth it, the tour guild was nice, the food was amazing , zip line was safe.. seeing gibbons and monkeys jumping around , love it

2  Thank Visanou B
in 16 reviews
"hard work"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

Honestly, I did not think I would like it. Since my last zip line was not so good.

But, zip-lining in the jungle, very high off the ground, staying two different tree houses, food was served through out, tour guides showing us which plants are edibles in the forest and for what, more zip lining until it got dark, once we reached our tree house.

Yes, it changed my mind about zip lining. The best part, we also got to zip line early in morning, if we wanted too. How cool is that?

Got to sleep in a tent, in a tree house, height above the tree tops, and to the sound of rain.

The food served was good. Not the best, but good enough to get us going. They had hot tea, coffee, and coco every night and morning of our trekking.

The not so great parts: water fall was okay. The ants in the second tree house were so many that they were in our pants. The survey at the end. It was a bit confusing on what it was asking for. The last meal was okay. The hiking, a couple of time was a bit rough for the below average active people, like us.

In the end, I would go on this again. Just for the zip linings, sleeping in the tree house, and more zip lining. But I will get my body physically workout to be more prepared for the tall step hikes.

2  Thank Le M
Reviewed 3 April 2017

We are so sad to hear that a client died during the Gibbon Experience! We finished the Express tour on the same day as the accident. My children (ages 14 and 12) and I said it was the most amazing experience ever! We truly enjoyed soaring through the sky, sleeping in the treehouse, interacting with the local Lao guides, hiking and chatting with the other tourists.

We were grabbing our luggage when we overheard one of the English speaking employees discussing the issue over a satellite phone. Heartbreaking, tragic and awful!

My heart goes out to the family and friends affected by this terrible event.

We felt very safe during our adventure and enjoyed our experience. I do hope that the Gibbon Experience can recover from this as I believe they provide great employment for the local people, the town of Huay Xai (there is no other reason to visit this town) and for the Gibbons.

8  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

We had booked to do the 2 night/3 day Classic Gibbon Experience starting 2nd April. Unfortunately there was an accident on a recent tour and business has been temporarily suspended until April 20th at the earliest. The company offered us either to re-schedule, or full refund (because of time constraints we chose the latter). Disappointing, but understandable that they must complete their investigation and act upon the outcomes.

1  Thank stephen19602013
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2017

We had a great time ziplining to some of the tallest treehouses in the world at Gibbon Experience a week ago with the whole family, including my two 19-year old girls (Waterfall Tour).
So we were very shocked when an American guest died in the first fatal accident under unclear circumstances a few day after we were there. Not quite sure how it could've happened. Our excellent guide Thong Chan was very professional and safety-conscious.
150 local hill tribespeople are employed there in a laudable and unique ecotourism project, so let's hope they get the safety concerns cleared up quickly and let everyone know exactly what happened.
I can still recommend the tour to the fit and adventurous. Obviously not for the faint of heart though! Sincere condolences to the victim's widow.

11  Thank Collin M