“A wonderful stay!”

Wild Woods Spa and Resort
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Udupi
“A wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We had a great time at Wild Woods resort. The hotel rooms were clean and spacious and we had a good overall experience. It was one of our most relaxing holidays ever. We felt welcomed from the very first minute. The staff was very hospitable and helpful. We enjoyed the food and water sports the most. Its a perfect getaway from the hustle of the city. The beautiful view of a fast flowing river pleases the eye. The owner showed us around the resort and its a wonder how he remembers the names of all the plants and trees! We were surprised to recieve a sendoff gift! I would highly recommend Wild Woods resort and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Bangalore
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed here with the family a couple of months ago and unfortunately I have only just got round to writing the review. This place is a wonderful place to stay and get away from the hustle and bustle of the city!
The resort is filled with trees and plants from all over Asia, Bananas of all different types, creepers from Bali, palms from Thailand and numerous flowering shrubs which attract enormous colored butterflies even during the monsoon. This area gets a lot of rainfall so everything is lush and green.
A beautiful fast flowing and clear river cool with the run off from the jungle clad hills forms the boundary on one side.
A small country lane bisects the property and on one side, set in about 2 acres is the accommodation made up of individual thatched cottages built from the local red laterite stone.

Amazingly for such a remote location, (there is not even any cell phone signal) the rooms have everything you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Large four-poster beds, safe, minibar, satellite TV, air-conditioning (although not needed when we were there as it was lovely and cool), hairdryers, tea and coffee making facilities, and large selection of toiletries. Every detail has been thought out even down to the 2 golf umbrellas in each room to ensure the guests stay dry while roaming the resort.
Meals are taken in the large communal dining hall. Open on 3 sides and surrounded by a fish filled lily pond, here is where the resort really stands out. I have been to many places where the accommodation is nice and the food only average but here the food is excellent. In the kitchen Chef Rana and his assistant Chef Sudarshan conjure up some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten. Served in buffet format, every meal was different and for the 3 days we were there not a single item was repeated. What is even more amazing is that the Chefs, although being from North India and Calcutta, were able to cook up authentic local food as good if not better than anything we have had in Mangalore or surrounding areas.
In the hills behind the resort are two waterfalls, stunning with the monsoon rains! The resort can organise a guide to take you up to the waterfall. The trek through the jungle is quite challenging but the view once you reach makes it worth it.
I highly recommend Wild Woods and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Wild Woods Spa and Resort is a relatively new resort set in an unknown place and is mystifyingly exotic. It is 150 kms away from the nearest city, Mangalore, totally away from the hustle and bustle of the city with an enchanting view of two humongous waterfalls and offers a perfect setting to unwind, relax and rejuvenate and makes one wonder how this kind of a place is kept hidden from the rest of the world.

The resort has a rustic ambience and is set deep in the woods, true to its name, where cellphones do not work providing a serene atmosphere for people who want to get away from it all.

We have never seen a resort with a botanical theme where over 6000 varieties of plants, both domestic and international, are nurtured and where the only music to ears is the chirping of those lovely birds and insects. A small river flows all around the resort that enhances the beauty and adds to the perfect setting.

The villas are so tastefully done that it is impossible not to notice the detailing that has gone into everything that is present in the room. It may be the thematic décor, the large comfortable beds set in bamboo frames or the rustic ambience replete with modern amenities. It is hard not to be impressed by the bathroom amenities, fixtures or even the lighting fixtures and their positioning to say the least.

What we explored is perhaps only 20% of what the resort is going to transform in about 6 months time. The resort management has started work on expanding and is coming up with new bungalows and villas, a new clubhouse with an array of recreational activities, a swimming pool and what not.

Wild Woods offers enough interest for trekkers and trailers, for casual birdwatchers or for serious ornithologists, for botanical enthusiasts, for water adventurists and also holds as much interest if you want to just read a book or simply want to laze around doing nothing.

Operating only one restaurant, situated right in the middle, the resort serves awesome local cuisine such as Chicken Ghee Roast, Chicken Sukka, Kari Roti, Fish Rava Fry, etc. The best thing about the kitchen brigade is that they are constantly trying to outdo themselves in terms of taste and also trying their hand in nouvelle cuisine. Hibiscus Idly, Cucumber Dosa are some of their innovative dishes which is a must have for every guest.

We, in our lifetime have been to many holidays and stayed in many resorts but must concede that the staff in Wild Woods Spa and Resort are outstanding to say the least. If I am not exaggerating, I must say that they are crazy and mad. Mad about serving people, making their guests’ experience truly memorable ensuring that the time they spend is cherished and return home delighted.

It is always believed that ‘Great Leaders make Great Teams’. It has to be Mr. K.P. Shetty, the owner of the resort who has imbibed the culture of hospitality in his team. His fervor to interact with each and every one of his patrons to ensure that their stay is just fine, gives the resort repeat clientele. His ideologies and his passion for plants, people and property are truly inspiring.

1 Thank BJ021978
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Wild Woods is lovely. It provided not only a super safe, clean, healthy place for my stay in Karnataka while doing my research and writing but also offered extraordinary touches like open-air hot herbal baths, morning juices (every try chiku, brahmi juice or almond juice?), hiking options, and acres of exquisite landscape with thoughtfully placed seating areas for rest and contemplation, and beautifully crafted bamboo platforms overlooking the rushing river waters for my daily yoga practice. Even during a busy holiday week with lots of families enjoying the river, I managed to find quiet spots for recharging breaks while spending most of the day writing under the trees or next to one of the frog-filled lily ponds.
As a female travelling solo, I’ve felt that hotels in India often don’t know how to treat me. Too bad, they’re missing out on the fastest- growing segment of travelers who want to do the same things families and groups do: explore, recharge and engage with the surroundings. In addition, I often use my travel time to work on writing projects so I need quiet time alone, preferably surrounded with natural beauty for inspiration. I found all this here.
If you’re lucky you’ll meet the owner, “K.P.” who knows and loves every tree, plant, bird and butterfly on the land and will show you the best spot to read a book, where to catch a glimpse of the fish in the river and (this was my favorite) pointing out a hornbill bird sitting in the tree at night or insects getting drunk from an agave plant! Did he really say he has over 6000 species of plants here? I believe it. It’s a botanical delight, some native and wild and some transplanted and tended to by local gardeners, several of them women, which I also always notice when I travel. Surprisingly the owner is a self-described businessman from Bangalore who has fond memories of enjoying his childhood in the surrounding jungles, and he’s quite a good businessman to open this place up where no other exists for miles. But really I sensed the mind of a scientist, the fascination of a naturalist and the vision of an artist. Some of the details he has thought of for each room: locally supplied fragrant orange blossom, sandelwood and charcoal black soap (he even asked his guests’ opinion about the soaps), permanently recharging flashlights in case of power outage (rare and fleeting), plug-in porcelain tea pots, fantastically clean white sheets, fluffy towels and big, soft bathrobes. He has done his research on luxury amenities and knows the needs of clients who have travelled internationally, yet he manages to maintain a commitment to local products, workers and activities and focuses on what is most important: consistent quality and natural beauty instead of flashy excess. For example, while walking around the surrounding acres that he is developing for family home vacations, I noticed local furniture makers constructing all the beds, bookcases, tables and chairs used in the rooms who were producing beautiful wood- carved posts and sturdy bamboo frames. I also marveled at some of the antique columns from local sources integrated into many of the outside posts and structures.
The kitchen staff graciously adjusted for my “not-too-spicy” taste buds and provided a generous, interesting and fresh menu every day. The best of Indian flavors with international touches. The chef demonstrated a unique knowledge of local fish, vegetables, fruits and plants (roasted spicy breadfruit, hibiscus leaf idli. amazing). The kitchen staff even checked in on me and sent baskets of bananas to my room on days when I did not show up to a meal. The dining hall was conducive to sharing many wonderful conversations over lunch and dinner (except when they kept the TV which mostly blasted loud commercials) with vacationing families from Bangalore and other cities and yet was spacious enough for me to sit by myself when I wanted some solitude. Even local guests were impressed by the dishes served, many of which required great skill and time to create such as bitter gourd and steamed tamarind leaf with sweet coconut filling.
The only difficulty I initially experienced was getting there. The road from Mangalore airport after a wet monsoon season was so bad that I was exhausted and regretting my decision when I finally arrived four and half hours later at Wild Woods. It didn’t help that their phones were not working and the airport drivers were not familiar with the location (perhaps because it is so new?). Hopefully local government will take care of the potholes soon which were big enough for cars to get stuck in and made drivers grumpy and asking for higher rates. And hopefully Wild Woods will establish better communication for those coming from the airport.
Once there, I realized that it was worth the extra travel time. The road leading to the resort made for lovely morning and evening walks, especially after daily rains when the clean fragrances of the forests did my heart and lungs much good. The neighboring village has lush rice paddies and a view of a magnificent mountain waterfall. I wanted to photograph everything and had to resist constantly walking around with my camera. To get to the famous Mookambika Temple in Kollur was less than an hour and you can arrange for a trekking guide to the waterfall on the other side of the river. I also noticed families riding the available bicycles and kayaking. Although it would have been nice to have internet access (difficult to acquire but probably necessary for both guests and business transactions), I appreciated the daily newspaper delivered by kind staff members every morning. Plus having a wonderfully skilled massage staff on hand for Indian head massages, shirodhara oil treatments and even pedicures and manicures added to this perfect combination of inspiration, beauty, and overall high standards that the owner of Wild Woods has taken such care to provide.
However, they haven’t made it easy for guests to pay their bill or get a proper receipt. If you extend your visit, be prepared to pay for your entire bill in cash because they are not set up to process credit or debit card payments on site. I had to make a special trip to the next town to pull out wads of cash to cover my stay. Frustrating cause I would have booked more spa services if I was able to use my card. They also need a pro running their reception desk cause K.P’s family member wasn’t able to help much and often confused transportation and communication problems even more.
Originally I was planning on continuing to Kerala for an extended rest and resort holiday. Instead I booked ten days at Wild Woods and got to know the beautiful land and people of Karnataka while experiencing a true writer’s retreat. It was expensive for South India standards, but I left healthy, happy and managed to get a considerable amount of writing and thinking done during my days at Wild Woods, amazed at the clear translucent green river and the mineral-rich bright orange roads and grateful for the good air, good food, good sleep and good people I experienced at Wild Woods.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TravellerInAsia2013
Aditya S, Public Relations Manager at Wild Woods Spa and Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
At the onset, thank you for your detailed review about our resort. I am sure it would greatly help other travellers specially single female travellers get a good understanding of this part of Karnataka and our resort.

We did engage with the banks on the issue of foreign cards not being accepted & you would be glad to know that it has been resolved. We tried our best for it to happen by your check out date but the long bank holidays in between delayed the matter.

Regarding the staff at the Front Office we do have some constraints given the remote location of our resort, however we have already recruited a seasoned front office executive & she would be joining us in November itself. The internet access is also being worked upon.

The heavy monsoon in coastal India does cause considerable damage to the national highways, however the local administration is quick in getting the work done as soon as the monsoon ends.
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We spent a couple of nights at the Wild Woods Spa and Resort and came away ready to plan a longer stay. Three things that really impressed us:
1. We loved the natural setting of resort amidst lush greenery with a river flowing around the resort property. We woke to the sounds of chirping birds and the flowing river right outside our cottage. Mr Shetty, the resort manager, very graciously gave us a tour of the resort grounds. To do justice, we would have had to spend a full day marveling at the many varieties of trees, flowers, butterflies and birds. It seems like there is much effort to make the place naturally sustainable without using pesticides etc. We were pleasantly surprised that there were no mosquitoes despite the lush greenery and the many small ponds and water features. We enjoyed an adventurous 2-mile hike to a nearby waterfall and an excursion to a lovely (and clean!) beach/temple and were very thankful that the resort provided us with a guide to accompany us on both the trips.
2. The rooms were tastefully decorated, the beds were super comfortable and the bathrooms were clean and functional. We appreciated the fresh fruit and water bottles in the rooms and the attention to details such as the selection of soaps. Bonus points for the small collection of books that guests can borrow!
3. The food was amazing. We particularly relished the local cuisine - the variety of dishes with local greens, fish fry, shrimp curry, plantain dishes, green idlis and so on. The chefs and the servers were so hospitable and made us feel at home. Everybody seemed to go out of their way to make our stay comfortable.

Lastly, we felt that this place was very special not only because it is naturally beautiful but also because of the passion and thought that went into making it so. Highly recommend a stay here!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The title of this review sums up Wild Wood resort's strengths which are great property, great ambience, and excellent hospitality complimented by great staff who are extremely helpful and take care of their guests very very well.

Stayed in stone cottage which was a great property to stay for a couple of days and the friendly staff made sure your trip was as much fun as possible. We enjoyed the stay and enjoyed the hospitality. We also made new friends during our stay. Would love to visit again sometime soon.

Room Tip: stone cottage is perfect to stay
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I totally agree with the rating given in Tripadvisor for this resort. The location is great, with lot of greenery around and a stream flowing near the cottages. We could hear the sound of flowing waters for a couple of days, even after we left. The road to the resort is also fairly good. From the minute we entered the resort, we just relaxed and enjoyed. The staff were courteous and pleasant. The cooking staff were so good that they would find out what curry my son likes and made all efforts to get the vegetables from Shiruru and make it for us. My son was really happy. Another very delightful thing was none of the activities/morning coffee were charged. The activities were not too high-fi, but worth spending time. Generally we pay heavily for the packages in resorts. Even after that, if our morning coffee or a simple kayak is charged, then the guest doesnt feel so great. Not charging for simple things is very nice. I would advice they should continue it in the future also. Guests dont like to spend time in going through bills just before leaving an experience.

Room Tip: If there are more than two, choosing a interconnected bamboo cottage would be good. Take a cottage f...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Udupi
Paradise Lagoon
RNS Residency
#1 of 1 in Murdeshwar
UVA Meridian Bay Resort & Spa
Hotel Mahalakshmi Residency

Been to Wild Woods Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!