“True Bliss !”

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Udupi
Bengaluru, India
“True Bliss !”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

If you want to experience what an individual's passion and interest can achieve, then this is the place to be. The best I have ever seen in coastal Karnataka, Wild Woods is the brain-child of Mr K P Shetty, an entrepreneur who microscopically plans everything from the fish in the pond to the menu on the table. His enduring research, hard work, and innovative ideas have created this place, a botanical retreat of well-planned landscapes, excellent rustic cottages, great services and wonderful staff to manage it. In fact, Mr Shetty himself maybe your host if you are lucky, explaining his interest in horticulture, photography and above all, giving a great experience to families who would like to experience the beauty of nature.

The resort is well-planned, well-maintained and well-connected, with something in it for every kind of person, be it reading a book by the river, cycling around the countryside, kayaking in the river, trekking to waterfalls, driving down to the beach, or visiting the tourist desinations that surround this place. It is equidistant from the Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea, so you have a lot to explore , photograph and enjoy ! And for all others, there is the spa in-house !

Highly recommended and worth it !

Room Tip: Stone Cottages have a better river view than the bamboo cottages, though all cottages face the river...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank raghunandanj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Excellent resort. The room-cum-cottage concept is very well executed with clean, spacious rooms and very well appointed bathroom / toilet and 24 x 7 hot-cold water at good pressure. The staff is helpful and courteous but need better training and polish. The cafetaria is nice and spacious with a good variety of food. We had butterflies during daytime and bats at night to give us company. The moutain stream flowing by is a wonderful place for a gentle swim, kayaking and zorbing which the kids enjoyed. Better safety infrastructure is required. The highlight for our family and friends was the 4 km trek up a mountain slope to a waterfall. We also drove down nearby to the stunning Beach View Point and then the kids had a good time in the beach further away.

Mangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 10 November 2013

we enjoyed a lot... peace of mind, vry good plac who wnt relaxsation, hygeunic vry good maintianence n cleanness.. excellent food... everythin iz vry gud... al service r vry gud , n very gud plce fr wtchin varity of birds, diff type of plants n variety of colourful butterflies, environment iz gud fr family..:) thanks to mr.shetty n team. frm premanada kulal manglore.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We had a great time at Wild Woods resort. The hotel rooms were clean and spacious and we had a good overall experience. It was one of our most relaxing holidays ever. We felt welcomed from the very first minute. The staff was very hospitable and helpful. We enjoyed the food and water sports the most. Its a perfect getaway from the hustle of the city. The beautiful view of a fast flowing river pleases the eye. The owner showed us around the resort and its a wonder how he remembers the names of all the plants and trees! We were surprised to recieve a sendoff gift! I would highly recommend Wild Woods resort and will definitely stay there again.

Bangalore
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed here with the family a couple of months ago and unfortunately I have only just got round to writing the review. This place is a wonderful place to stay and get away from the hustle and bustle of the city!
The resort is filled with trees and plants from all over Asia, Bananas of all different types, creepers from Bali, palms from Thailand and numerous flowering shrubs which attract enormous colored butterflies even during the monsoon. This area gets a lot of rainfall so everything is lush and green.
A beautiful fast flowing and clear river cool with the run off from the jungle clad hills forms the boundary on one side.
A small country lane bisects the property and on one side, set in about 2 acres is the accommodation made up of individual thatched cottages built from the local red laterite stone.

Amazingly for such a remote location, (there is not even any cell phone signal) the rooms have everything you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Large four-poster beds, safe, minibar, satellite TV, air-conditioning (although not needed when we were there as it was lovely and cool), hairdryers, tea and coffee making facilities, and large selection of toiletries. Every detail has been thought out even down to the 2 golf umbrellas in each room to ensure the guests stay dry while roaming the resort.
Meals are taken in the large communal dining hall. Open on 3 sides and surrounded by a fish filled lily pond, here is where the resort really stands out. I have been to many places where the accommodation is nice and the food only average but here the food is excellent. In the kitchen Chef Rana and his assistant Chef Sudarshan conjure up some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten. Served in buffet format, every meal was different and for the 3 days we were there not a single item was repeated. What is even more amazing is that the Chefs, although being from North India and Calcutta, were able to cook up authentic local food as good if not better than anything we have had in Mangalore or surrounding areas.
In the hills behind the resort are two waterfalls, stunning with the monsoon rains! The resort can organise a guide to take you up to the waterfall. The trek through the jungle is quite challenging but the view once you reach makes it worth it.
I highly recommend Wild Woods and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Wild Woods Spa and Resort is a relatively new resort set in an unknown place and is mystifyingly exotic. It is 150 kms away from the nearest city, Mangalore, totally away from the hustle and bustle of the city with an enchanting view of two humongous waterfalls and offers a perfect setting to unwind, relax and rejuvenate and makes one wonder how this kind of a place is kept hidden from the rest of the world.

The resort has a rustic ambience and is set deep in the woods, true to its name, where cellphones do not work providing a serene atmosphere for people who want to get away from it all.

We have never seen a resort with a botanical theme where over 6000 varieties of plants, both domestic and international, are nurtured and where the only music to ears is the chirping of those lovely birds and insects. A small river flows all around the resort that enhances the beauty and adds to the perfect setting.

The villas are so tastefully done that it is impossible not to notice the detailing that has gone into everything that is present in the room. It may be the thematic décor, the large comfortable beds set in bamboo frames or the rustic ambience replete with modern amenities. It is hard not to be impressed by the bathroom amenities, fixtures or even the lighting fixtures and their positioning to say the least.

What we explored is perhaps only 20% of what the resort is going to transform in about 6 months time. The resort management has started work on expanding and is coming up with new bungalows and villas, a new clubhouse with an array of recreational activities, a swimming pool and what not.

Wild Woods offers enough interest for trekkers and trailers, for casual birdwatchers or for serious ornithologists, for botanical enthusiasts, for water adventurists and also holds as much interest if you want to just read a book or simply want to laze around doing nothing.

Operating only one restaurant, situated right in the middle, the resort serves awesome local cuisine such as Chicken Ghee Roast, Chicken Sukka, Kari Roti, Fish Rava Fry, etc. The best thing about the kitchen brigade is that they are constantly trying to outdo themselves in terms of taste and also trying their hand in nouvelle cuisine. Hibiscus Idly, Cucumber Dosa are some of their innovative dishes which is a must have for every guest.

We, in our lifetime have been to many holidays and stayed in many resorts but must concede that the staff in Wild Woods Spa and Resort are outstanding to say the least. If I am not exaggerating, I must say that they are crazy and mad. Mad about serving people, making their guests’ experience truly memorable ensuring that the time they spend is cherished and return home delighted.

It is always believed that ‘Great Leaders make Great Teams’. It has to be Mr. K.P. Shetty, the owner of the resort who has imbibed the culture of hospitality in his team. His fervor to interact with each and every one of his patrons to ensure that their stay is just fine, gives the resort repeat clientele. His ideologies and his passion for plants, people and property are truly inspiring.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BJ021978
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Wild Woods is lovely. It provided not only a super safe, clean, healthy place for my stay in Karnataka while doing my research and writing but also offered extraordinary touches like open-air hot herbal baths, morning juices (every try chiku, brahmi juice or almond juice?), hiking options, and acres of exquisite landscape with thoughtfully placed seating areas for rest and contemplation, and beautifully crafted bamboo platforms overlooking the rushing river waters for my daily yoga practice. Even during a busy holiday week with lots of families enjoying the river, I managed to find quiet spots for recharging breaks while spending most of the day writing under the trees or next to one of the frog-filled lily ponds.
As a female travelling solo, I’ve felt that hotels in India often don’t know how to treat me. Too bad, they’re missing out on the fastest- growing segment of travelers who want to do the same things families and groups do: explore, recharge and engage with the surroundings. In addition, I often use my travel time to work on writing projects so I need quiet time alone, preferably surrounded with natural beauty for inspiration. I found all this here.
If you’re lucky you’ll meet the owner, “K.P.” who knows and loves every tree, plant, bird and butterfly on the land and will show you the best spot to read a book, where to catch a glimpse of the fish in the river and (this was my favorite) pointing out a hornbill bird sitting in the tree at night or insects getting drunk from an agave plant! Did he really say he has over 6000 species of plants here? I believe it. It’s a botanical delight, some native and wild and some transplanted and tended to by local gardeners, several of them women, which I also always notice when I travel. Surprisingly the owner is a self-described businessman from Bangalore who has fond memories of enjoying his childhood in the surrounding jungles, and he’s quite a good businessman to open this place up where no other exists for miles. But really I sensed the mind of a scientist, the fascination of a naturalist and the vision of an artist. Some of the details he has thought of for each room: locally supplied fragrant orange blossom, sandelwood and charcoal black soap (he even asked his guests’ opinion about the soaps), permanently recharging flashlights in case of power outage (rare and fleeting), plug-in porcelain tea pots, fantastically clean white sheets, fluffy towels and big, soft bathrobes. He has done his research on luxury amenities and knows the needs of clients who have travelled internationally, yet he manages to maintain a commitment to local products, workers and activities and focuses on what is most important: consistent quality and natural beauty instead of flashy excess. For example, while walking around the surrounding acres that he is developing for family home vacations, I noticed local furniture makers constructing all the beds, bookcases, tables and chairs used in the rooms who were producing beautiful wood- carved posts and sturdy bamboo frames. I also marveled at some of the antique columns from local sources integrated into many of the outside posts and structures.
The kitchen staff graciously adjusted for my “not-too-spicy” taste buds and provided a generous, interesting and fresh menu every day. The best of Indian flavors with international touches. The chef demonstrated a unique knowledge of local fish, vegetables, fruits and plants (roasted spicy breadfruit, hibiscus leaf idli. amazing). The kitchen staff even checked in on me and sent baskets of bananas to my room on days when I did not show up to a meal. The dining hall was conducive to sharing many wonderful conversations over lunch and dinner (except when they kept the TV which mostly blasted loud commercials) with vacationing families from Bangalore and other cities and yet was spacious enough for me to sit by myself when I wanted some solitude. Even local guests were impressed by the dishes served, many of which required great skill and time to create such as bitter gourd and steamed tamarind leaf with sweet coconut filling.
The only difficulty I initially experienced was getting there. The road from Mangalore airport after a wet monsoon season was so bad that I was exhausted and regretting my decision when I finally arrived four and half hours later at Wild Woods. It didn’t help that their phones were not working and the airport drivers were not familiar with the location (perhaps because it is so new?). Hopefully local government will take care of the potholes soon which were big enough for cars to get stuck in and made drivers grumpy and asking for higher rates. And hopefully Wild Woods will establish better communication for those coming from the airport.
Once there, I realized that it was worth the extra travel time. The road leading to the resort made for lovely morning and evening walks, especially after daily rains when the clean fragrances of the forests did my heart and lungs much good. The neighboring village has lush rice paddies and a view of a magnificent mountain waterfall. I wanted to photograph everything and had to resist constantly walking around with my camera. To get to the famous Mookambika Temple in Kollur was less than an hour and you can arrange for a trekking guide to the waterfall on the other side of the river. I also noticed families riding the available bicycles and kayaking. Although it would have been nice to have internet access (difficult to acquire but probably necessary for both guests and business transactions), I appreciated the daily newspaper delivered by kind staff members every morning. Plus having a wonderfully skilled massage staff on hand for Indian head massages, shirodhara oil treatments and even pedicures and manicures added to this perfect combination of inspiration, beauty, and overall high standards that the owner of Wild Woods has taken such care to provide.
However, they haven’t made it easy for guests to pay their bill or get a proper receipt. If you extend your visit, be prepared to pay for your entire bill in cash because they are not set up to process credit or debit card payments on site. I had to make a special trip to the next town to pull out wads of cash to cover my stay. Frustrating cause I would have booked more spa services if I was able to use my card. They also need a pro running their reception desk cause K.P’s family member wasn’t able to help much and often confused transportation and communication problems even more.
Originally I was planning on continuing to Kerala for an extended rest and resort holiday. Instead I booked ten days at Wild Woods and got to know the beautiful land and people of Karnataka while experiencing a true writer’s retreat. It was expensive for South India standards, but I left healthy, happy and managed to get a considerable amount of writing and thinking done during my days at Wild Woods, amazed at the clear translucent green river and the mineral-rich bright orange roads and grateful for the good air, good food, good sleep and good people I experienced at Wild Woods.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TravellerInAsia2013
Aditya S, Public Relations Manager at Wild Woods Spa and Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
At the onset, thank you for your detailed review about our resort. I am sure it would greatly help other travellers specially single female travellers get a good understanding of this part of Karnataka and our resort.

We did engage with the banks on the issue of foreign cards not being accepted & you would be glad to know that it has been resolved. We tried our best for it to happen by your check out date but the long bank holidays in between delayed the matter.

Regarding the staff at the Front Office we do have some constraints given the remote location of our resort, however we have already recruited a seasoned front office executive & she would be joining us in November itself. The internet access is also being worked upon.

The heavy monsoon in coastal India does cause considerable damage to the national highways, however the local administration is quick in getting the work done as soon as the monsoon ends.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Udupi
Paradise Lagoon
#4 of 23 in Udupi
UVA Meridian Bay Resort & Spa
Hotel Mahalakshmi Residency
Paradise Isle Beach Resort

Been to Wild Woods Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!