“Value for Money”
Review of Hotel Opal

Hotel Opal
Reviewed 18 March 2014

One of oldest hotels in Kolhapur, and I had a chance to stay here in 2014. My oversight is what I will say. The first and foremost memory that I carried back with me was the utter value for money that I got on the room rates.

Compared to "luxury" hotels elsewhere, I think the prices here are pretty low considering the rooms. The rooms are spacious and clean. I felt I was staying in my room back home. I had the fortune to book a room at the backside, which avoided the noon-sun and was pretty cool throughout.

The hotel does allow online booking, but it's an easy-go-lucky kinda hotel. I enquired about reservation and I was told to come down at my own pace and not worry about reservation, as the phone call was good enough and I was a little melancholic as I was reminded of good old days when a man's word was his currency, but I digress.

The food is basic fare, but being a pretty famous spot, the dining hall is almost always full. You would do well to be present a little early to get a place of choice to sit and eat. There are not much options other than the thali and some basic Punjabi food. The place is pretty famous for "tambada rassa" and "pandhara rassa", which comes as side dish for non-veg thali. You can ask for both along with veg thali as well, but does not go so well.

Being a vegetarian, can't really comment on the non-veg fare, but have heard good things about it. If you are vegetarian, I think you will be a little disappointed with food on offer. One word of caution, NEVER EVER HAVE CHINESE. Even though you might be tempted to try, I strongly recommend, don't even think about it. You will thank me later. It's too oily and not that special.

The food is good, but nothing out of ordinary. The rooms are excellent and great value-of-money. Biggest plus, the people. In my three days of stay, there was not once incident, regardless of however big the crowed, that I could see a frown on any of the servers or attendants. The people are gems, regardless of what the demand or the situations.

In summary, try it once, you may like it if you like quaint old things. If you are a fan of modern amenities and fancy show, then probably Opal is not for you.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the backside and spacious rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhoenixFirebird
Siddharth_Latkar, Director at Hotel Opal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Respected Guest,

Thank you so much Sir, for your valuable review about our hotel on TripAdvisor !

We are pleased that you have appreciated this hotel as a "value for money" proposition
in Kolhapur. We are also delighted that you liked the overall service.

As you have rightly pointed out, this is one of the oldest hotels in Kolhapur. Since its beginning in November 1968, this hotel has been a kind of home to many who regularly visit Kolhapur since then. At Opal, we always strive to offer the best of our services & facilities at a reasonable & affordable cost which most of the visitors appreciate positively. "Hospitality with Simplicity " is what we try to follow as a motto.

We are fortunate enough to have a dedicated team of staff members, who put in a lot of effort to make the guests' stay nice & comfortable. Sir, your review is a result of the whole hearted contribution & continuous hard work put in by every member of Team Opal since it's beginning. This credit surely goes to the all the hotel staff, with out whom this hotel would not have gained so much of name & fame.

Your review is a true pat on a back & a true inspiration for all of us, to continue rendering the same kind of service to all our guests, in order to provide overall satisfaction.

Once again thanking you & assuring the best of our services at all times, we remain at your service.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Opal

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We (me and my wife) stayed for one day at this Hotel on 25th night January 2014. It's decent Hotel with friendly staff. However one get's a sense that it is well past it's day's of glory. It's an old Hotel that needs renovation. The rooms are large and comfortable at a basic level. The corner rooms overlooking the main road are nice to stay. The Hotel takes care of drivers for a small additional amount and has adequate parking place. These are certainly a plus. However it's slightly off the main roads and if you plan to go to temple early morning, you need your may need your own transport. Auto's are difficult early morning, particularly on sundays. we had a walk to the main road to find and auto. the food is acceptable. However the breakfast is very basic with very little choice.

One can certainly consider staying here since it is value for money but there are better options.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ddeole
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This place is overrated for the food.. I had the special veg thali and was very disappointed. The only food items I liked in the thali was the 'pappad' and the 'onions'.. The onion pakodas served were cold and tasteless. My friend had the mutton masala and he says he liked it. I fail to understand what's there to like about this place ! I do not recommend this place, rest is for you to decide.
Cheers !

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Foodradar
Siddharth_Latkar, Director at Hotel Opal, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Respected Guest,

We are very much thankful to you for taking out your valuable time & posting your review about this hotel. We certainly believe that such straight feedbacks definitely serve the purpose they are intended for. We have noted the good intention of your frank opinion Sir.

We always endeavour to provide the best of Non-Vegetarian & Vegetarian food. As you have mentioned above, we are pleased that your friend liked our Mutton preparations, but you did not like the Veg. Thali. Sir, we suppose, you might have not liked the vegetable dishes served in the thali on that day. We regret the inconvenience, but we would have definitely addressed this matter had you informed our concerned supervisor at that time.

We will definitely look into this matter about the variety of the veg dishes offered in the thali & strive to upgrade ourselves in all aspects.

Assuring the best of our services at all times, we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you better in future.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Decent, simple and no frills.

We visited Kolhapur in the month of September for an overnight trip. From word of mouth we had zeroed in on the Opal Hotel as my main intention was not to enter Kolhapur city.

Opal is an old property on the outskirts of Kolhapur and has a loyal clientle. The rooms are no frills and simple. The people who manage the place are equally so. The rooms are priced very well leading to them being perenially booked. You will need to book in advance to get a place.

Food: The food is excellent if you are a non vegetarian. Your choices may be limited if you are a vegetarian and if you are a Jain then better eat out.

Proximity: Most of the attractions are at close proximity and can be reached by auto (three wheelers). There is a three wheeler stand just outside the hotel.

The place does not have a swimming pool and there is nothing for the kids to play with or stay busy. But I do not think that should be a distraction.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SamRawal
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Seems Old Bungalow building from the 1960s or something I guess converted into a hotel due to the prime location, I partly agree with some of the other posts which say that the cleanliness is not really upto the mark. But at Rs 1200 per night with complimentary breakfast this is what you get.Do keep in mind that this is mix veg plus non veg place so the restaurants serve both! The hotel can definitely be maintained better & more cleaner. All bathrooms need to be rennovated immediately. The hotel is not as big as it appears on their website but it has lot of parking space. Overall okay for a day or two if maintained better. If you are looking for alternatives just drive on station road nearby & you have many Hotels charging less than Rs1000 per day.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Blore r
Reviewed 13 December 2013

we stayed for two nights . The room was spacious but quite filthy. There were pan stains on the walls and bed covers and pillow covers were soiled. The rooms as well as the hallway had a dank smell.The staff was courteous and food was good . But cleanliness i think was last on the mind of the mgmt.pls check the room before you stay

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank pragyanp
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Have been visiting this hotel since 1984 and believe me its been the best places to stay and have food in Kolhapur ever since. Though other options might offer better accommodation in Kolhapur, staying at Opal is like staying in Luxury with a strong history. A landmark in Kolhapur. Corporate preferred place to hold annual/monthly meeting here since decades. Ample parking space. Restaurant menu is varied and the "thali" system is stomach filling experience. You have to wait to get a place to sit in the restaurant. Non-veg dishes are just marvelous particularly the 'Kolhapuri" ones.

Room Tip: Opt for rooms on the back side. Choose ones with AC as they are much better. Old colossal type rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business