Mia Mia House in the Desert
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
The Knox(Newman)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewslong drivebreakfast was includedvery helpful staffbed was comfortabledesertgymperthremoteserviceablemarklockmeals
Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is an unlikely place to find comfort, but I think it is a fantastic hotel. I have stayed here many times driving from Perth to Darwin, and to pull in to a place that not only has immaculate if small rooms, with LCD TV and nice bathrooms, but also has a fantastic restaurant which, if full, delivers room service, is a great relief. The creative use of containers to hold the rooms is a bit surprising at first, but extremely comfortable and efficient. I cannot imagine how anyone could not appreciate a stay here. Of course, it is not cheap, but that is quite typical of the area. Still, you are guaranteed comfort, cleanliness, quiet and great food. If you are looking for fawning luxury, you probably should not go to Newman Western Australia in the first place. If you are relatively high maintenance llike I can be, and you do find yourself somewhere this remote, thank heaven that there is somewhere like this to stay!

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Pickytraveller1964
Reviewed 21 August 2011

the service that is at this hotel is astonishing.....absolutely awful!!! the laziness of the staff is evident in the way they are presented to clientele and how they react in the restaurant. the food was OK, but service shocking.........and to top it off the manager of the hotel didnt seem to care about not only our complaint, but also several others that had stayed at the hotel. So, if your management team are inexperienced in dealing with customers, why would we expect the staff. overall, mia mia, we will never return, and we will be letting people know of your awful service.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank janet m
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I stayed for three nights and was amazed by the size of the rooms, given the price/night.. The outdoor areas included a tiny artificial lawn with tables to seat around 40. It was new and clean. Food served was outstanding for a tiny mining town.

Room Tip: Go alone. Try out all the pillows. Some are lumpy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Gabriel11
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I was travelling with my wife from Perth to Broome for a wedding and decided to crash in Newman after a long and boring drive. I red a review from Paul Fisher from Trip Advisor about this place and decided to take a chance as Newman is about half way trip. Few years ago I was in Newman and it was a ghost town. Now road traffic is mainly mining four wheel drives and a lot of them everywhere. This can explain the high price for one night - $220. Mind you, there was a gym, continental breakfast and high speed internet included in price. Internet was excellent. You can use a wireless hot spot, or in room cable connection. I didn’t try wireless because wired internet was faster and more reliable and I was too tired to experiment. In room there is a fridge LCD TV, coffee and tea facilities, small table and a chair. Split system aircon, radio alarm clock and that is it. See Paul’s comment about the rooms and restaurant– very accurate.

We came around 5 pm and I was planing to leave as early as 3 am so I was in bed around 8. I was comfortable enough to fall a sleep easily but my sleep was disrupted with all the people coming back to their rooms with loud talks and laughs. Like a workers donga sound insulation is minimal so you can hear everything around the room area like being outside. I don’t blame people not being quiet at this time of the day (after 10 pm it was quiet and I slept til the morning), but there is a habit when they close the doors they slam it – to make sure it is closed. Even 3 doors away from your room it is just as loud as your own door. Again, all was quiet after 10 pm it was my problem I needed to go early to bed.

While I was checking in on my arrival a few mining workers show up on the door to check in too. Obviously mining companies are struggling to accommodate all their workers so they are filling the gap in town everywhere.

I would not stay here again for this price, but if you are desperate (and have enough money) it is OK.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PeterFromRockingham
Reviewed 21 May 2009

The Mia Mia isn't quite a hotel - it's more like an up-market version of the "camps" used to accommodate workers in outback Australia. The rooms are quite small (with en-suite), gathered into groups of four with walkways between. There is free internet (though I couldn't get a connection), free guest laundry and a free gym. The restaurant looks pretty good - we had the Sunday night carvery which was excellent. There is also a pleasant outdoor area where you can have your meal served, or (as we did) eat your take-away.

This is comfortable but basic accommodation. It is expensive (like everything in the north-west). It's not up to the standard of other hotels in town such as the Seasons, but it has some added extras which may appeal.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple