Mia Mia House in the Desert
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewslong drivebreakfast was includedvery helpful staffbed was comfortabledesertgymperthremoteserviceablemarklockmeals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2013

It’s very hard to rate this hotel in normal sense. Because normally, if you pay $300 a night, you would expect at least 4 stars’ standard. But Newman is a mining town, Mia Mia is one of only two hotels in Newman. The mining boom pushed the price up for everything, hotels there are not exceptional.
Here I just want to let other travellers know what to expect for their $300pn:
5. the restaurant is like mining mess, don’t expect any hotel cuisine;
6. forget about free wifi;
7. allow yourself at least 15 minutes for check out;
8. to guarantee having a room, book at least one month earlier
My suggest is, if you have to stay in Newman, try Seasons hotel first, their rooms are lot more spacious and their restaurant is much better, their staff are lot more friendly as well. But remember you also need to book well in advance to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: I can't think of any better rooms than others, suggest you to bring your own ear plug for the noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Petitewave
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This is a hotel in a mining town so you will not get anything flash. At $300 a night for a very small room which includes breakfast. The free WiFi dos not work, tried several times with different codes with no luck. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Probably one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in - it is really a mine camp providing accommodation for FIFO workers. The rooms are tiny, no natural light because you need to keep the blinds drawn for privacy - the bathroom was smelly with nowhere to even put a toiletry bag.

Breakfast is served from 4.30 to 6.30 - I arrived in the "mess hall" as the restaurant is closed, at 6.10 and there was practically nothing left to eat - all the buffet was gone - just days old cereal and bread and mangy bits of fruit. When I asked the one staff member if I could order something like eggs & bacon she said the kitchen wasn't staffed !!

For $300 a night you expect a LOT more - for instance no mini bar, no help with taking your bags to your room or even showing you where the room was in this maze of converted shipping containers. Thankfully I wasn't travelling with my wife - she would have demanded we leave.

The only saving grace was the restaurant for dinner - perfectly cooked steak - which it would want to be at $48 although the pepperjack shiraz was hugely marked up at $62 and it was just plonked on the table not even opened.

Try somewhere else in town like the seasons or even the caravan park cabins

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank 914Swanny914
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I have eaten here many times, and coming from a smaller town with no restaurant Mia Mia restaurant was a true blessing with lovely food and staff...until tonight.
I was ordering my fortnightly takeaway when they no longer cater for people with food intolerances. (I am lactose Intolerant.... its not that difficult to take the cheese of a chicken parmy.. is it??)
The man on the phone was very rude, and when I asked to speak to the manager, he put me onto one of the floor staff (I know this, as I am/was a regular, and I know who the manager is). It looks like its just another business that focuses on the mining companies and not the locals.... not happy.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank outbackrats
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Enjoyed a lovely evening meal, we ate early, at 6pm, service was quick and the food very tasty. The menu was varied and lots of appealing things. I enjoyed a lovely Barra dish. Complementary oysters to start which was a pleasant surprise.

Stayed: October 2012