“One night stay.”
Review of Kumarina Roadhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newman
Kumarina Roadhouse
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I paid $80 plus for a small room with two single beds and a loud A/C. The bonus was that all the bugs came free of charge. The room itself should have been condemned, I don’t know if it was dry root or white ants but there was no support behind the walls. The pool was full of dirt but the good thing was the food was good and the price was fine the argument between staff not so good. I would never stay there again. There was some work going on so I hope this will make it a better place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank djpnevans

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Having lived in Newman for 20 odd years and had many a wonderful weekend at Kumarina Roadhouse I was looking forward to staying there once again on our trip up north.
Parked the van on our site and went for a BURGER yea was ok - not the best I have ever had.
What a disappointment. We had our own van thank goodness. Stayed on a powered site so all is good - NOT!!! As we were paying for a site we decided to use the communal shower facilities. There was a lot of work being done around the ablution block. NO SIGNAGE of CAUTION work in progress. OK I can handle this - I thought.
One of the workers/manager or whatever??? spoke to me and said don't think the ablution block has been cleaned today- lot of lazy buggers they are [his words not mine] He was right - the ablution block had not been cleaned today, or yesterday or maybe the whole month of September. The showers and toilets were filthy.
Decided to have a walk around the units etc - down memory lane. Thank goodness I didn't want to go for a swim - the pool was green
Needless to say WONT ever be staying there again.
Oh I do have a positive comment - there was a KIWI lady serving in the little shop and the bar - she was very friendly and made you feel comfortable.

Room Tip: If you have your own van you would get better value pulling up and sleeping in one of the REST AREA...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Chockobert
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stopped at Kumarina on a few occasions recently and cleanliness and quality of toilet facilities is disgraceful. Overall the place gives the impression that maintenance and upkeep is nonexistent or minimal. Being a leasehold maybe the managers are not supported by the owners to improve conditions but something needs to done. I hope interstate/overseas travellers do not think this is the accepted standard of our Roadhouse facilities in Western Australia.

Room Tip: Don't go there! Cue is much, much better, esp. the caravan park.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles W
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Ok so sometimes you cant expect too much when this side of the world, but gee I expected a little more than this!.
I stayed here passing thru to Port Hedland with work and booked a room with double bed.
Ok so it was a bed and it was better than sleeping in the car. (just)
The room doesn't come with keys as it doesn't lock, but they are an honest bunch out here in the bush,, arnt they?
The showers are a shared arrangement in dongers. If you can get one. Unfortunately there is no preference for guests so you get a lot of truckers etc stop in for a shower which is fine but if you are staying there then you really should have some sort of priority access? The morning I left - I was on a bit of a deadline so after walking back and forth a few times to the showers I gave up.
The showers and toilets are pretty grubby. No soap in the toilets, come to think of it the doors in the toilets don't have a lock on them either, I see a theme here.
I had a meal there which was OK.
I think the only way I would stay there again would be if I had a caravan (which included my own shower and toilet) as the camp ground would be better than the run down rooms.
There was an old portable Tv with 1 channel, a small noisy aircon and a bar heater.
I would plan to either stay in Mekkatharra (The commercial or the Auski is fine) or Newman (If you can afford Newman or there is accommodation available there) but would drive right on by Kumarina.
Its a great spot for a stopover, or it could be if someone would spend some $$ on it.
It presently is up for lease, but unless the actual owner is prepared to spend some $$ on the place I don't know why anyone would take it on.
Would be one of the worst places I have stayed in the north west, and ive stayed at quite a few!

Room Tip: Sleep in your own caravan!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BigBronco351
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Kumarina is pretty bad. You'd only stay there because you have to. I was travelling for work and despite booking two rooms a month in advance, they did not have rooms for us. The door didn't even shut properly, let alone lock. No women's bathrooms so had to share the 4 shower/toilet combos with all the road crews and truckies. At least they didn't have wires hanging out of the walls instead of powerpoints like they used to.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Violet B
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We recently stayed at Kumarina, four adults travelling together. We were told that the family room was booked, so had to pay $86 each for a single "room", a total of $344. No family, or anyone turned up to use the family room. Reading review D698 I wonder what they paid for it on their stay.
Despite feeling that we had been ripped off ( the corporate rate for the rooms is $55 each) we do have to say that the place is much better than its roadside appearance suggests.

Room Tip: Ask for the family room if you are a group travelling together; it will easily sleep four adults and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dorothy B
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Just south of Newman, Western Australia, the Kumarina Road House offers inexpensive rooms, a decent restaurant, a great pub and various pet cockatoos. While there are more modern hotels in Newman, I would happily stay here again instead of paying twice the price for a more modern hotel that is not more comfortable and does not have the same Aussie outback atmosphere.

Room Tip: Be open minded--you are in the middle of wild wonderful outback Australia so just enjoy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family