“An inspirational day, full of fun, learning and eating beautiful Sourdough”
Review of Hen Corner

Hen Corner
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Brentford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Baking - Preserving - Artisan Food Making - Poultry & Bee Keeping - Traditional Skills Whether it's welcoming guests to our courses or working with schools, Hen Corner is bringing together the country and the city, helping you turn your urban corner green. *Please note: visits are by appointment only*
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 8 February 2018

For anyone who loves bread, this is a must! Sara is a warm host and passionate and experienced Baker, amongst many other things! Upon arrival I was greeted by her beaming smile and to the wonderful smell of baked items....I knew I was in for a fab day and it sure didn't disappoint. It was wonderful to have a full hands on experience..to smell, touch and work with the dough...for Sara to show us how to make small changes to our technique to improve the final result. We worked hard but were rewarded with a divine lunch of speciality sourdough, cheeses, homemade chutneys, honey and homemade Apple Wine. The afternoon continued with further learnings and the excitement built as we neared the baking of our gorgeous breads. Afternoon Tea of toasted brioche was another lovely and tasty surprise, whilst the aroma of our breads baking filled the air. The three of us left Hen Corner with bags of hot bread and I'm pleased to say my car still has the lingering smell of freshly baked bread two days later! Everyone should do this course....a truly delightful experience and a heartwarming way to spend a day.

Date of experience: February 2018
"feel confident"
"seville orange"
"carrot cake"

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Sara hosts a brilliant bread making day in her lovely home in Brentford. I think we made five different breads in total of all different kinds. And I have never been able to make a sourdough but the end of the day it was a piece of cake (well, bread, but you know what I mean). A really lovely day where you learn a huge amount but have a great time. Could not have been better.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 5 February 2018

Hen corner is an urban retreat. Sara is an excellent host and teacher - it’s a fun and relaxing day to do something different, learn new skills, and go home with some delicious bread and marmalades that you can replicate at home if you want to. Such a lovely environment. Sara creates a homely vibe which makes you feel that you are spending a day with old friends and not just doing a cookery class.

The gorgeous garden, hens, bees and cocoa the cat add something special to the experience. Thank you Sara for a fantastic day!

1  Thank Anna15000
Reviewed 4 February 2018

Absolutely wonderful "Toast & Marmalade" workshop at Hen Corner, making traditional Seville Orange Marmalade, a Lemon, Ginger & Honey Marmalade, and a loaf of bread. Sara was an excellent teacher - and aside from the marmalade making, she taught us a whole different way of mixing and kneading dough that really produced great bread. Mine was a mix of 40% seeded white/60% wholemeal flour, using normal Dove yeast, so easily replicated. It tasted great both as sandwiches and toast.

So far I've dug into the Lemon marmalade (designed by Sara for a Honey Show competition), which is delicious and definitely worth repeating. The ginger in syrup ingredient adds a little kick that knocks it out of the flu 'lemon & honey' taste profile and into something really lovely.

We also got to check out their mini urban smallholding backyard, complete with hens and bee hives as well as the kitchen garden. It's a little slice of 'Good Life' paradise in the centre of London.

It was an excellent day - learnt lots, in a lovely environment, delicious lunch and afternoon tea, it was a great deal of fun and very sociable with four other lovely ladies. I would definitely recommend the Hen Corner courses (there's a Cider course in September), and am actually going back next month to do the "Cheese in a Day" course to learn to make Mozzarella, Feta and Camembert. Looking forward to it!

1  Thank Christina N