“Online fraudsters”

San Antonio Corfu Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kalami
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I booked these apartments 22 Dec 2011 via their website, price stated 100 euros for 1 week in September 2012, which although cheap I have seen other Greek apartments at this price so really never thought there would be a problem, their website asked for 80 per cent deposit paid via Paypal.
I paid the 80 euros and emailed the Apartments for confirmation to be sent to me so I could arrange flights. I heard nothing at all back, therefore emailed again finally 11th January I got a reply from a lady called Gina who emailed me to say 'she would look into' 3 days later I got an email stating the online price was incorrect it was 65 euros a night and my money would be refunded or I could pay this price, immediatly I emailed and said a refund would be great. I heard NOTHING NO REFUND therefore Paypal got involved, and yesterday in my favour took the money off Adonis Asonitis apartments and credited me back.....beware.....maybe a great place but dont trust with your well earned money online....they cant con Thomson

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank catgirl27
There are newer reviews for San Antonio Corfu Resort

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed at the A&A from 23rd September for one week and could happily have stayed forever. We loved this place and found it difficult to find anything to fault.

The location is stunning. If travelling on a flight from Norwich you will arrive at approx 11pm, so you have no concept of where you are or the scenery around you. On arrival, you are divided into two groups - one is put into a mini bus to be taken to the lower apartments, the other is taken down a flight of stairs to the higher rooms (that was us). We were in Block 6, the highest, and the view was absolutely stunning. Even though it was night we could see we were in a special place, and in the morning light, it was spectacular.

The staff here are nothing short of excellent. Everyone is so friendly. On arrival, the small supermarket stayed open way past its usual 10pm closing time in order for us to purchase the essential shopping for the morning. The bar staff are lovely and remember your favourite drinks, the waiting staff will mingle round the tables and have a chat, the cleaners keep the place spotless and the kitchen staff produce some great food. It was as nice here as at any of the tavernas on the beach and the portions are bigger!

The apartments are basic but they have all that you need. The shower was hot and powerful but this brings me to my only complaint. The shower head was badly in need of de-scaling and it did concern me when we returned home to hear news of Legionnaire's Disease on Corfu. As a hospitality worker (I've been a head housekeeper in a hotel), I know the need to regularly clean shower heads and water systems is important so I feel this needs to be addressed.
The beds were very comfortable, maid service is 6 days a week, towels are changed mid-week and a tea towel is provided for washing up. We didn't use the small cooker as we ate out, the fridge was lovely and cold and a couple of ice-cube trays are provided. The wardrobe is spacious with lots of hangers but there isn't much drawer space. There is no TV or radio which I actually found a blessing. It was lovely being isolated and having no access to news, so it felt like a proper holiday.

The entertainment was fairly good, from karaoke to traditional Greek dancing (very entertaining) to quiz nights. These were fun and we won 2nd prize (bottle of wine) twice! There are 3 screens in the bar showing all the major sports including Premiership football.

The swimming pools are two of the best we've used anywhere. The top pool with stunningly beautiful views of the bay is the most popular and there was always a sunbed to be found and there is a seating area with tables and large parasols to protect from the heat of the sun. There is a bar with a short bar snack menu for light lunches.

Locally, the tavernas' are very good, our favourite was Kalami Beach Taverna. This is right on the stony beach with the waves gently lapping nearby. Next is Thomas' and a little further along, The White House,which was the family home of Gerald and Laurence Durrell. It was very dark here and luckily the torch on my mobile phone meant we could read the menu!

A walk along the beach and through the wooded area brings you to Agni Bay with more tavernas, and Taverna Nikolas runs a free shuttle boat service in the evenings (book at reception). Walking the opposite way will take you to Kouloura Beach (very tiny!) with a solitary taverna (very nice but a bit expensive) and a small harbour filled with fishing boats and a view to die for.

There are lots of excursions by Thomsons but we made our own way to Corfu Town (stunning) on the bus and to Kassiopi (wasnt so keen, bit tacky, typically touristy) but the bus ride alone was worth it to see the stunning coastline. Corfu Town is absolutely beautiful and we climbed to the top of the Fortress on a very hot day but there is a bar/restaurant halfway up/down so a cold beer was very welcome! Next to the White House Taverna on resort are some boats for hire (owned by the A&A), so we hired one for the day which made for a lovely final day to our holiday. The coastline is beautiful and there are lots of bays and harbours to moor up in and tavernas and bars to visit. The boat hire plus fuel (calculated on return) was approx £100. This might seem an expensive treat but the fuel was more expensive than in the UK, but we felt we'd saved the money for a treat. You get to see things you wouldn't on a coach or on foot.

The apartments are a little dated but there are some on levels 3+4 that I believe have been very tastefully re-furbished but I dont think they are available to Thomsons customers. The bar was fairly new and a recent re-furb so maybe there are plans to do some more rooms.

This was probably the most beautiful place we've been to and we've travelled to The Maldives and Caribbean. Greek hospitality is unlike anywhere else, un-hurried, laid back and so friendly. We cant wait to return.

13  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We have just got back from a week in Kalami, rained first day which made the temperature drop, when the sun did come out it made the days warm, but the nights cold. We were not prepared for such cold evenings. In mid October most of the village was closed, but the few tavernas that were open gave a nice welcome, especially The White House where Daria was a generous host even in the driving rain. Don't be put off by the smart appearance of the White House it offers great home cooked food at a cheaper price than some of the other local spots. Adonis Asonitis apartments are clean, tidy, basic accommodation, be prepared for a bit of a hill climb but there are lifts which help after the first steep slope. If you want a quiet restful nights sleep ask for a room on a higher level as the lower pool bar has karaoke or some entertainment most nights and the noise would be bad if it was warm enough to have windows open. We had a restful time and would go again but take warm clothes for the nights.

Room Tip: If you don't like late night entertainment go for a higher room.
1  Thank keithweightuk
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We went for a weekend in early October and had the basic studio room. Rooms are clean and well stocked with kitchen essentials. No loo paper provided. No bath. All rooms seem to have private balconies with fabulous views, which is nice. Although it is up on the hill, the beach isn’t far as Kalami is small and takes minutes to walk to the other side and back. The hill may be a challenge to some. The service cannot be faulted, from the people in the reception area to those in the bar, in fact, the bar service is exceptional and the guys in there make everyone feel welcome. The Greek dancing on Sunday nights is a nice touch to the end of the week. Oh, if you want to stop housekeeping from coming into the room, best to leave your key in the door because some of them ignore the 'Do not Disturb' sign. If you are anything like me and seem to attract every mosquito on the island, take lots and lots of insect repellent (avoid the stuff from the pound shop, I made that mistake) and a spray for your room, I was mosquito food and it wasn’t any fun. While we were there the beach was quiet and peaceful, there were quite a few visitors but it wasn’t overcrowded or noisy. The accommodation was good, the seafood at the Kalami Beach Taverna was exceptional and we would definitely go back. Also there are 2 pools, take the lift to the top floor and the other one is by the bar.

5  Thank Merlotsheep
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Worried about having 2 star studio as usually go 4/5 star. No need to worry, spacious, warm, cheerful room with more to offer than any hotel standard room. 4th floor stunning views. Only noise is whatever other guests provide!! Makes me laugh when people say facilities are basic...its 2 star. Beds much comfier than expected and particularly the pillows, not flat like usually are in Spain. Nice to be able to make a cuppa and prepare a snack in the room.

We hired a car so we could get out and about to explore the island and to eat as the couple of meals we had down in the kalami beach tavernas were not special and over priced. Meals we have had out in Kassiopi and Barbati have been excellent and good value. There are a lot of pharmacies around if you are able to get out of the resort, one is just up a bit on the main road. . We tend to shut the windows to block out the noise from the bar at night. We wake up hot after it stops and then open them to hear the sound of the waves. (lovely).We are very well travelled and used to some quite luxurious holidays and prolonged stays in Australia, but have to say have totally fallen in love with this place and will be back. Would love to move permanently!!

Room Tip: High up away from bar
5  Thank anitabarnes88
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Superb holiday, cant complain about anything we got. Only drawback as I have parkinsons there was a bit of an incline to the apartment but that is normal in Corfu.Staff were excellent and entertainment was good.The lady in the adjoining shop with the big boobies was very amusing.In fact all the shop people and tavenas in Kalami were helpful and friendly.We enjoyed the boat trip to Vidos Island and of course the almost obligatory trip by boat to Nickolas taverna.
Of the 11 days only one was bad due to thunderstorm.Kalami is a quiet place and there are no chemists so take all the neccesaries with youAll in all a great place for aholiday and I love Corfu on the north-east. .

Room Tip: Any issues you may have get in touch early so the staff can help you.
1  Thank Bigbee698
Reviewed 1 October 2011

My husband and I have had an amazing time in Kalami last week. Although we went at the end of September the weather was still gorgeous (still hot enough to be on the beach but the air was breathable unlike in summer) and it wasn't too crowded. After reading some reviews we were worried that we'd have to book restaurants in advance or wake up really early to get a sunbed around the pools but neither was required, there were barely any people around! The hotel has amazing views (we stayed in Block 3) over the Kalami Bay and the balconies are really nice (nice little roofs and olive trees around them), the room was ok, the bathroom could do with some modernisation and the stairs are not a problem. There's no loud music at night coming from the Cocktails and Dreams bar, I don't understand some complaints I've read here, entertainment stops around midnight but you can barely hear the music anyway. The only problem with the hotel was the unholy number of mosquitoes and wasps which did not spare us for a second but that is obviously not the hotel's fault, they're just everywhere and you can barely eat your breakfast without having to shake your arms like a maniac! The food is average throughout the resort I would say, it's not the best or the worst I've ever had but I think I'm just not that keen on Greek cuisine in general, other people might find it fantastic. The drinks however are exceptionally good value for money. I am not a big drinker but the amount of alcohol you get in one glass is about 4 times more than what you get in the UK and I'm not overreacting at all (check out one of my pics). The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and we even went out clubbing with them one night in a nearby town due to the fact that Kalami is a very small place (4 tavernas, 1 hotel, a few villas, supermarkets, no clubs). The best taverna in my opinion was Thomas's Place because of its amazing food, service, location and entertainment but all of them are ok and they're all situated right on the beach, the chairs and tables are positioned on the beach stones! The beach itself was gorgeous, no sand only stones but very nice stones which you can actually walk on because they're very round, the water was warm and very clear blue and you can be 3 metres in and see tens of massive fish around you so it's well worth investing in a snorkel (9 euros from the hotel supermarket) because it's an amazing experience. Also, if you go to the beach in the afternoon you won't get charged for using the sunbeds or umbrellas, we did this almost everyday and kept waiting to be charged but it only happened on the last day when we got there at 11am after checking out from the hotel (in any case, it's 3 euros for each sunbed and 3 for the umbrella). There are a few other activities available from Blue Bay Travel or from the hotel such as hiring cars, boats, going horse riding, excursions to Corfu Town or Albania (60 euros/person) or cruising. In terms of money there's no ATM in Kalami so it's best to bring cash (euros obviously) with you (there's no risk of having it stolen, I doubt Kalami's ever had any crimes, it's a 200-m long resort with good people) but you can exchange traveller's cheques or use your debit/credit card to take money out at the hotel (5% commission). Also, it's not worth paying 3 euros an hour for the WIFI at the hotel because you can get it for free on your phone in the entire resort except on the hotel's premises (from Thomas's Place which is another reason I loved that taverna!). A few other tips: you cannot drink water from the tap, you need bottled water at all times and make sure you have a bottle with you if like us you arrive there with the Thomson flight at 5am (no supermarkets will be open at that time and you'll be told you have to wait til morning), you can't throw paper in the toilet, there is a separate bin for this purpose, make sure to buy some candles and sprays for the mosquitoes and make sure money will last you until the end of your holiday because the prices are similar to the ones in the UK and you'll spend a minimum of 600 euros (on food mainly) for two people for 7 days unless you go all-inclusive.
All in all, it has been a very relaxing holiday, we were happy with everything, we celebrated one year of marriage and was incredibly romantic having a nice meal on the beach listening to Greek music and it was just the perfect hotel and the perfect resort for us. HOWEVER, although we're both about 23 we prefer small quiet resorts and Kalami was exactly what we asked for; if you're young, single and want to meet people and hit a few clubs at night then stay away from Kalami because you'll be disappointed. Choose wisely and enjoy your holiday!

11  Thank MrsLBShef
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalami
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Melina Bay Hotel
Melina Bay Hotel
#1 of 10 in Kassiopi
Bella Vista Hotel & Studios

Been to San Antonio Corfu Resort? Share your experiences!