“Dogs!”

Mountain View Hotel & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Agios Georgios
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Having read jolly-bargeman's review I wanted to add some comments of my own re the dogs. I stayed for 2 weeks half board at Mountain View and can also state that if you choose to eat out of doors then you can expect the dogs to beg round your table. Some waiters try to keep the dogs away from the tables but they are fighting a losing battle against those guests who believe they need to take buffet food to share with the dogs on the basis they are not being fed by the management. When the management declare their personal opinion is that dogs should not beg round tables it makes me wonder who is in charge at Mountain View - the management or those guests who enjoy sharing their mealtimes with dogs.

It is a shame the dogs didn't have an area set aside which would allow those guests who wish to pet or feed them to do so as that would have allowed the rest of us to enjoy our mealtimes but perhaps this is simply a situation where the majority rules rather than hygiene. I did on occasion see a guest taking food outside of the hotel grounds and feeding the dogs there but that was an exception to their general treatment

that said, I found the accomodation at Mountain View to be comfortable and the cleaner and waiters did their jobs well. I did not let the dog situation spoil what was a most enjoyable holiday but any guests with a fear of/ allergy to dogs might not be able to do this

6  Thank P G

Reviewed 28 September 2013

3 star hotel in Northern Cyprus with excellent amenities and great hot water for showers. I stayed in a standard room with balcony. If you are here for a holiday and are the type to chill out and not expect service 24 hours a day, at the click of your fingers, then you will love this place. Don't get me wrong, the service was great, and the restaurant and bar staff ran around to please the best they could and with always a smile. What I am meaning is that sometimes you may have to wait a few minutes to be assisted as it gets quite busy during the busy seasons.

There is WIFI available and as I didn't have computer access myself I really appreciated the fact that Sue and Serder allowed me to use their computer and keep in touch with my family and friends who are all on the other side of the world.

The pool was nice and clean and breakfast buffet excellent. I loved the fig jam and the not too salty heloumi cheese each morning - keep that on the menu please as I really wish I could have some right now.

There is a mini bus that runs in and out of Girne (Kyrenia) very frequently for 2.5 lira each way. Although the property is away from the main town don't let this put you off considering it. There is also a little supermarket about 10 minutes walk away and taxis can be called from reception as you need them.

If there were any suggestions for change that I would make is that the music at breakfast in the morning should be more chilled and radio music. The 2 dogs were also not my cup of tea, however, other people love dogs and lucky for me they chose not to bark at me. :)

Thanks again for a wonderful stay. I will be back if I visit Northern Cyprus again. All the best to you both and your business for the rest of 2013.

Room Tip: If you have problems walking up stairs see if you can get a standard room on the 1st of 2nd floors.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank havachatkiwi
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed in one of the bungalows in the lovely hotel gardens. First impression was it needed a good clean, on arrival there was cigarette stubs on the balcony, stains on the balcony furniture, half used soap next to the shower, hair in the sink plughole ect. after 2 days realised the lack of hot water was down to the taps blue was hot and red was cold, and the light switches were upside down. Air con worked in bedroom only not 'living space'. Kitchenette turned out to be a couple of empty cupboards, fridge, kettle and a sink without useable plug.
Breakfast was okay...if you were lucky enough to grab one of the depleting cups (informed by a member of staff there was only 36)...double bonus if there was coffee left too (wouldn't recommend the tea). Evening meals were poor, meze style dishes, one dish came around three nights in a row (obviously the most unpopular)...and the rice was kept warm with a candle underneath for two hours...which is a real no no by food agencies standards. Didn't bother eating there again.
The hotel staff did respond well to 'emergency situations' like the power cuts....three nights in a row, and running out of water on one occasion.
On our last day the transfer wasn't until 6.45 evening, reception staff let us keep the room until 1pm, unfortunately there was no courtesy room....or even facilities...the owner invited us to use the outdoor shower by the pool...spent the last few hours by the pool, but didn't go in due to it's murkey green appearance (obviously well overdue for cleaning)......
The bungalow was quiet with very little noise from the hotel, however difficult to sleep on really uncomfortable bed and the lumpiest pillows ever.
Still people seem to return there year after year, and all know each other and all complain..about similar..and more....just like faulty towers.
The cigarette stubs are probably still on the balcony...

Room Tip: If you decide to stay in the hotel, be mindful the lift is out of action and has been for some time.
12  Thank indigoemma13
ncypriot, Owner at Mountain View Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear customer,
It always seems very strange to us why people always wait to get home before having
a good old grumble. If everything was as bad as you have said, why on earth did you not
come to reception and tell us about it. If you was that unhappy with your room we could have
moved you to another.
Unfortunately when you have a 100 people coming down for breakfast, things can run out
but nobody has to wait for long, so why all the fuss after all you are on holiday.
The food in our hotel is always cooked fresh everyday, nothing comes out of a freezer and
warmed up, anything that is left over gets eaten by the hotel staff.
We did have a problem with the electric and we do have a generator that unfortunately did not
kick in when it should have done and being the weekend we had to wait until Monday where
it was done straight away. But we must also add that the electric went off two nights running
and not three as you stated and it was just for around 30 mins. Again unfortunately things
happen, which are sometimes out of our control and we just try our best until its rectified.
Unfortunately we have had a problem with our pool, it is definately not from the lack of
cleaning, more from people not showering off there suncreams before entering the pool and
it then becomes a big problem for us.
You are right about people returning year after year and its fantastic seeing everybody,
perhaps we do have things the way people like it, or at least we hope so.
Lastly, we must say that it clearly obvious that you did not enjoy your holiday with us and we are sorry for that, but would love to hear from you as to why you didnt ask your representative to change your hotel or you could have asked us and we would have been happy to oblige.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three nights whilst visiting friends. The reception was messy and gave a very poor initial impression. This was exasperated by not having reference to our online booking.
We waited 45 mins for rooms to be ready. These were very basic but clean.
Really didn't fancy a swim in the murky pool or eat in the restaurant. Obtaining a taxi was a real trial and despite per reserving, getting an iron a nightmare.
Served it purpose but can't really recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nene4dis

Dear Customer,

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Yes you had to wait around 45 mins before getting into your room, but we had so
many checkouts that day and things got a little behind, unfortunately sometimes
these things happen, hence the reception being very messy from customers leaving
many of there cases in there, as they were not leaving until early evening and they
needed somewhere to keep them.
Unfortunately we only have a couple of irons to lend out and at the time of you asking
both were on loan. The best thing you could have done was to email us beforehand
and perhaps we could have reserved you one for the date you wanted, alternatively
you could have brought a travel iron with you.
As I have mentioned before, we have had a problem with our pool, unfortunately this
is due to people not thinking about showering off there suncreams before entering
the pool and with a full hotel these problems sometimes arise.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have just had a wonderful stay at the Mountain View.We stayed in a 1st floor villa which was very comfortable. The owners and staff were great and they were always willing to help or solve any minor problems.We will return as the atmosphere was so relaxing and laid back .There are at least 4 quality restaurants within walking distance as we were on bed and breakfast we ate out every night.

Room Tip: The villas are very peaceful
2  Thank STEVE D
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We have returned rather baffled, primarily because of the glowing reviews this hotel has received on Trip Advisor. Perhaps the other reviewers were staying in a completely different part of the hotel and fed different food, as our experience is more in keeping with the negative reviews posted.

The Outdoor Dining Area - If you like to eat your meals in the open dining area, be prepared to share it with the hotel dogs. The two dogs in question spend every mealtime patrolling the tables and begging to be fed – which many people (who should have known better) did regularly. One even took a bag of dog biscuits to the table and fed the dogs commenting that as someone else had gone home, the ‘duty’ had passed to her! One diner who was uneasy with dogs ate his entire meal walking around the swimming pool rather than be seated. This is a dining area, NOT a dog’s home and should have been inaccessible to the animals. It is unhygienic and the simple addition of a short fence attached to the vertical wooden posts would have prevented this. The dogs also urinate in the flower borders and drink regularly from the swimming pool (see photo)
The Swimming Pool – now this one had me baffled – a previous guest had commented on how lovely it was….well, the pool is a good size and depth, but as an ex swimming pool and spa specialist, I can assure you that it is not lovely now. Regular pH and acidity level checks are made and various chemicals added but parts of the pool are covered in green algae, particularly around the steps and underwater lights (see photos). Sometimes it was so cloudy you could barely see the bottom at the 1.6 metre end and at night, the green glow from the algae covered underwater lighting made the whole thing look decidedly unhealthy.
The Food – we had opted to stay half board, and really wish we hadn’t. The offering at breakfast was extremely repetitive (not even an alternative to the pale cornflakes put out every morning), and we lost count of the number of times one or other item ran out. I state item as I’m not just talking about the food here. Almost every day, things like boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, coffee, cups and saucers and egg cups ran out with monotonous regularity. The evening meal was also a disappointment. We were assured by Sue that every evening there were two hot alternatives. Not a lot of choice maybe, but a choice nonetheless. Well, Chicken Curry and Rice or the same Chicken Curry with chips is not really two different meals, is it? My wife asked for an alternative and was given a very nice grilled chicken breast to eat with the salad, and the following night, the food was much better. A choice of steaks in sauces, presided over by the chef, presumably to ensure you didn’t take more than your allotted piece, as he had never serve previously. However, a day or so later we were back to a single hot dish, Chinese Chicken with rice or chips. We have stayed in Cyprus, Turkey and Greece on over a dozen occasions in the last few years, and this is the only hotel we have ever come across that hasn’t provided guests with some of the wonderful variety of breads Turkey is famous for, or a piece of fresh fruit as a dessert at the end of the meal. We ended up eating out on two evenings, despite being half board customers. Unfortunately, the overriding feeling you are left with is that the entire hotel is trying to be run on a shoestring and that corners are being cut. This brings us finally to…
The Hotel itself – One reviewer has waxed lyrical about the fabulous refurbishment of their accommodation. Well, they must have been staying in the Bungalows NOT the hotel. It is very tired looking and badly in need of both an internal and external paint (see photos). But the shower in the hotel room was shocking. I see that a previous reviewer a year ago had complained that the shower fittings were rusty and the grouting around the tiles poor –well, it hasn’t got any better (see photos). The lift that one reviewer stated had not been working since April is still not working (although it does have a pot plant in front of it in the foyer - presumably in an attempt to disguise the fact)and having to climb 50 odd stairs several times a day is no fun…
Looking at the few negative reviews, I see Sue has vigorously defended her hotel, saying that guests should have told her of problems before they returned home (and subsequently put a negative review on Trip Advisor). Well Sue, people have complained about the issues I have raised above, yet nothing seems to be being done. We are paying guests and should not have to spend our holiday time chasing you or your staff around to try and attain at least basic standards of hotel accommodation.

Room Tip: Try and insist on a room that has been redecorated - avoid eating at the hotel...
34  Thank Jolly_Bargeman

Dear Customer,

We would like to thank you for your review.
This is a very hard one to answer, especially when we do not get many like this.
Why should people be suspicious, we are very honest and very open, if we wasnt our
hotel would not be as busy as it is.
Also I would like to say to you, if you felt this badly, why did you not ask to be moved to another
hotel, which we could have arranged for you without any problems. It always makes me
very suspicious, why people just wait until they get home to have a good moan, rather than
tell us when they are here, so that we may be able to help.
Our dogs never beg around the tables, I personally would not allow it but they will go to anyone
that encourages them and that would be to most of our customers, as at least 90% love
our dogs. Also I must say, our dogs have never done there business anywhere around
the hotel and believe me if you saw them urinating you must have been one of the first.
Now the pool situation, unfortunately we have had a slight problem and this is due to
customers not showering off there suncreams before entering the pool. We take very
good care of our pool and always have done, but this year we have had a full hotel for the
last 5 months and unfortunately these things happen and we do our upmost to get it back
to rights as soon as possible.
What more could you need on a breakfast table, we have a good selection of cold meats,
cheeses, jams etc plus cake, boreks, eggs, fruit salad, I must apologise if this is not enough
but for a 3 star hotel I believe the choice is very good. The hotel has been full for some
months now and things at the breakfast table do run out, but customers do not have to wait
long until the plates are full again. Yes cups kept running out but were soon put back.
Because the hotel has been so busy, we did try our evening meals with open buffet style. There is always plenty for everyone and there is always something different everynight and on most evenings the chef does serve the hot meals to the customers. You were half board, if
you had have been that unhappy you could have asked one of the waiters for something
different. Again why didnt you come and tell us.
We at Mountain View have a good set of hard working staff and I think they all do there job
very well and we very rarely have any problems.
Thank you for the photos you put up, if you had put the photo of the whole of the hotel, people
would see that it is just one area that needs to be painted and this will hopefully be done
when the season slows down. Again if you had asked at reception we would have been
able to explain that the carpets on the corridors have been newly laid and the surroundings
have not yet been finished, unfortunately due to time and the hotel being so busy. We do
apologise with regards to your shower taps, these will be replaced, but every shower in the
hotel and the villas have all been newly grouted and your shower had just a little discolouring
in the corner. Did that really make the shower so bad the rest of the tiles and grouting was
very clean.
As you rightly said, some people do tell us but unfortunately you didnt, so how can we help
when you have gone home. We do listen, we always listen and we always try our best to
put things right.
We wish you all the best on your next holiday and please remember if you are unhappy
with anything, let the people know before you leave, alternatively change your hotel, as you
said you are the customers and you shouldnt be unhappy.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

everything was ok just did not understand why the room rate in the hotel was 40pounds,the wi-fi 3euro and the drinks in turkish lira.breakfast was nice,we had to look for the bartender to order our drinks.was a water missing in the room for a half an hour,but the problem was solved.small detail problems but generally perfect

• Stayed: September 2013
The Villa Club Hotel
The Villa Club Hotel
#19 of 30 in Kyrenia
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hotel
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hote...
#2 of 8 in Alsancak - Karavas
#1 of 7 in Lapta
Lapida Hotel
Lapida Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lapta

Been to Mountain View Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!