“Not the best holiday I've had”
Review of Topset Hotel

Topset Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Agios Georgios
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Not the best holiday I've had”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Arrived at 1130pm and put into a "holding room" where you could not swing a cat, but was moved to a really nice room, split level, overlooking the pool though the air con left a lot to be desired, as it was not very efficient and it was very hot for September.

As I was on BB I looked forward to a typical continenal breakfast, sadly I was disappointed. There were no cold meats or boiled eggs and definetly not hot dishes. I did ask for an egg but found that I had to pay for it (how much does a cooked egg cost, very little) never had that in my life. I was not informed on arrival that I had to hand my key into reception after breakfast if I wanted my room cleaned, let alone have the loo bucket emptied, whatever happened to hotel staff having a master key. When I complained I was told that they did it that way as guests did not like to be disturbed that is why the key must be handed in (guess theres a first time for everything). There were quite a few rules, no food obtained outside allowed around the pool, that I accepted, but this also applied to your room (a little rich considering I would only on a BB basis, not all inclusive).

The staff in the main were very obliging and helpful but could take an age to get what you wanted at the bar on occasion.

Overall I would not want to go back, This is the first time I have felt that, being a solo traveller and have had great holidays elsewhere.

Room Tip: I had room 210 which gives a good view of the hotel pool, grounds and the sea along with the bar whi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Corsalass

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
BODMIN
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Was given a room in the old block.This was not as desribed in the brouchure- sea/mountain views where definitely missing.......hint ...always rip out the pages of the hotel description and take it with you- they cannot argue then !!!.
The lady in charge of the hotel was excellent v.proffessional and arranged to move us into the new block after one night- totally different rooms -fantastic sea views from balcony - we had room 413-which also had views of the mountains as corner room.
We did not really meet with the "owner"- got a grunt one day - but anybody who owns a hotel who wears only a pair of old shorts around his own hotel does not give the right impression!!!
Breakfast...all I can say is BAD !! REALLY BAD !!
Pool....v.good but usual towel issues spoilt it somewhat now the Dutch are at the same game...apart from roland the Rat -who took great joy in appearing at the shower by the pool for a drink during the day - I even got pictures of him if I felt I might need an angle witht the owner at some point.!!
We ate on most occassions next door at the silver resturant ....suberb quality/simple/cheap and very nice English lady serving...we ended up using their pool - we had it most of the day to ourselves ....just three of us...but we did eat there all the while.
Aircon...just not good enough..yes it was hot 40+ but the aircon should cope ..it did not
Beach....bit of a joke to be honest...kept in by concrete that also needs replacing.

All in all needs a spruce up....pool/new block excellent the rest ...??

Room Tip: Get in the new block !!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Poacher down south
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Always receive a great welcome from the owners who obviously know us by now as have stayed so many times. The pool is my favourite place and eating dinner with the sound of the Med lapping away and the moon rising is always an experience - just writting this is making me want to return now!

Love the rooms, really spacious and well thought out. Sometimes wish the walls were a bit thicker though.

Always a great holiday - thoroughly reccommend

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank impishref
Amsterdam
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Basicly the hotel is nice. Spaceous rooms, friendly staff, along the beach.
Not much to do nearby, but minibusses drive off and on to get you around.

So normally I would recommend this hotel if you want a relaxed vacation.

BUT.... the owner is extremely rude. He shouts to the guests and treats his employees like dogs. He is known in the whole village as "Hassan the Terrible".
I have seen many people chased away from the terrace to make room for new arrivals.
We were not welcome anymore after we checked out and paid the bill.
We could order drinks, but were not allowed to finish the drink at the terrace anymore.

So instead of talking about a great vacation we went home in a bus full with people that were angry, upset or otherwise aggevated.

It's not worth it. Northern Cyprus is great and the people are very, very friendly.
But find yourself another hotel to enjoy it fully.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank DiveJedi
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Stayed in Emir Topset Studio and we were very impressed with the space and cleanliness of the room.
Hotel gardens beautiful and poolside and beach normally very peaceful.
Breakfast good. Choice of bread cheeses and meats. Eggs and yoghurt offered each day.
We would return to this Hotel but perhaps not in the high season.

Room Tip: Emir Topset studios or rooms are the best on offer.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dgb013
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We were staying in the new part of this hotel with fantastic seaview. It was very quiet. The rooms have modern furniture, fridge, hairdryer, aircondition. As we booked 2 double rooms, we`ve got one with a doublebed and one with a galery upstairs. This one has a single bed downstairs and double bed upstairs.
At breakfast the lovely staff ask if we prefer eggs, cornflakes or something else. They have a breakfast buffet, but the eggs they prepare like you want them. The only thing I missed was a better selection of jam or some honey.
We really can recommend this hotel and we will be back soon

Room Tip: Room no. 415 is in a quiet, seperate house
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tina190384
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We also stayed here in November, and did not have the issues with aircon since we did not use it at that time. Beautiful garden, very nice located near the sea. Breakfast is typical Turkish continental. The owner can get very angry if he sees you bringing your own food to the hotel. He was doing this several days, so hide food etc well for the owner. Also saw some F16's flying low over the sea.
We had a spacious family room.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Karsiyaka
The Ship Inn
The Ship Inn
#8 of 31 in Kyrenia

Been to Topset Hotel? Share your experiences!