“Excellent food and service”

Charles Cotton Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Hartington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My boyfriend and I came across the Charles Cotton Hotel during the first night our of mini-break in the Peaks. As soon as we walked into the bar, the staff were very welcoming and accommodating. We hadn't booked (as had been advised) so we were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves immediately seated at a lovely little table. Drinks came within minutes and the waiters were very helpful when decided what to order. We thoroughly enjoyed all courses - for the main my boyfriend had the steak, which he loved, and I had the salmon which I would definitely recommend. To top it all off, the food wasn't too expensive and seeing as we cleaned our plates (all three courses!) it was definitely good value for money. In true testimony to how great this place was, we came back here for the second and last night of our stay (we booked this time), and impressively, everything was even better on the second night - both food and service! There had been slight changes made to the menu which definitely worked in our favour - the tomato and red pepper soup and goats cheese tart went down a treat, and were some of the best starters we've ever had. We ordered the same mains as the night before which were once again absolutely scrumptious. The best course for me however was dessert - brownie with white chocolate sauce. I would definitely recommend this to all those who visit - you're missing out if you don't have it.

Overall, a fantastic experience and absolutely amazing food. We will definitely be returning, and would highly recommend to anyone. Best place to eat in Hartington.

• Visited July 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Well looked after”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just returned from Derbyshire after visiting for the L’Eroica cycle event. We stayed in the village and dined in the hotel on Friday evening and found the service from the staff excellent and the manger was very hands on.
The food was very tasty and all of a good size that we though it was great for the price we paid.
We decided to eat there again on the Sunday after watching the cycle event passed though the village. We had been warned that it would be a slight wait on our food but I did expect that as to be fair the village was packed with over 900 cyclist and supporters and only 2 places to eat.
The service was just as good and the food (Sunday roast) was again well cooked with plenty if vegetables.
We can't wait to return later in year

Nottingham
“Good food ruined by the worst service I have experienced in a long long time!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Went in to ask about cake and coffee which they said they were happy to do. Poorly trained youth behind bar incapable of prompt service. Didn't listen to order so got it wrong. It took more than half an hour to get 4 drinks and 4 cakes out to us. Which they charged us £26! When asked for the Receipt, they had over charged by £5. Poor excuse for an apology from the manager. I'm not interested if he's been busy or if their staff are new, train them and then out them to serve on a busy Saturday. I deserve the same level of service that the first customer of the day gets, I'm paying the same!! Will Never spend any of my money there again.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank JazGee
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We ate in the restaurant. The service was very good. The food was good/very good. Expect to spend around £30 per head inc drinks.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kenjo J
Chipperfield, United Kingdom
“Rather average meal”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Blade of beef sounded good on paper but the meat was tasteless but nicely presented. Service was pretty awful - weren't offered drinks and no one asked if the meal was OK.

Visited June 2014