“Nice place”

Charles Cotton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartington
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Perfectly nice stay in the Peak District at the Charles Cotton Hotel. Room was fine. Bathroom was a bit basic even though it was a deluxe room - I was expecting better here. But all adequate. The restaurant was nice ... although the chef had taken to serving sticky toffee pudding with custard on a flat slate which incase you haven't experienced this ... does not work. what next - soup on a bread board!! Other than this - which we just found funny it was good - food was nice, wine was nice. The service overall could have been more welcoming.

top tip ... book into the restaurant in advance for dinner. One evening we couldn't get food anywhere in Hartington - and I mistakenly thought .. well they wont let us go hungry we can grab something in the bar later ... oh no - they would have let us go hungry - so we had to drive to the nearest town to find food.

I did love the fact that dogs were welcome :)

Room Tip: We went for a deluxe room - and it wasn't that special ... I'd definitely not risk a budget...
There are newer reviews for Charles Cotton Hotel

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stopped at Charlie's tea room which is part of the hotel today after a walk as it looked perfect. We wanted two cream teas and a bottle of water. The first issue was they did not take visa so as I had insufficient cash I settled for one cream tea and a ordinary tea & water. Fortunately this was a bonus as the cream tea that arrive at £4.75 did not include cream, which is odd for a cream tea. The scone itself was a stale crumbling mess that was frozen in the middle, it was left uneaten as it was practically inedible. Not a great experience.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dave n
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I travel a lot for business and the whole world is beginning to look very bland, corporate and the fashionably dull- BestWestern, Hilton etc. etc. My wife and I were really pleased then to find a lovely, traditional country hotel during our weekend away in Hartington. Everyone was really welcoming and genuine (not in that horrid 'have a nice day' way). The breakfast was tremendous - smashing bacon and sausage and we had a great chat with the lady serving. Our room was very comfortable and individual and looked out over the square in what is a very picturesque village.

To be honest the food is a bit of a surprise. My wife is a foodie and the menu looks rather limited - fish and chips type standard pub grub. Our first night was the night of our wedding anniversary so at first sight I thought -'Oh Dear!' I was wrong. We ate there both nights and both nights it was excellent. It was refreshing to see somewhere do 'simple' food really, really well. I did indeed have fish and chips one night (after a huge smoked salmon starter) and it was certainly one of the best I've had anywhere - why can't I get food like this at hotels in London I wondered. Portions were generous, everything was very fresh with some lovely touches. The wine list is rather like the food - quite small but interesting. We had a really nice Brazilian white on both occasions - I can't remember having a Brazilian wine before and I thought this was an imaginative and informed choice on the list. We didn't make it to the puddings I'm afraid. The atmosphere was friendly and informal perfect for us.

We had gone up to Derbyshire to walk and there are some nice trails nearby - notably the Tissington Trail. Hartington is well-situated for most of the attractions of the Peak District. All in all I can strongly recommend this hotel. I've probably stayed in 20 hotels so far this year and this is my favourite, relaxing, cheerful, good food, reasonably priced and a great location. We will certainly be back.

1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Visited the Charles Cotton last Friday night for dinner with friends & was surprised to be entertained by a superb 80's tribute act "Blondie Goes Wilde" a tribute to Kim Wilde & Blondie. The place had a great atmosphere and was busy with both locals and guests alike. Food was great and the singer top class and in lovely surroundings.... all in all a great Friday night out.!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Morning coffee.Sunday 8th June 2014 Terry D.
Unwelcoming "prickly" staff, snail-paced service, and how anyone could do THAT to a toasted teacake and then have the gall to serve it, I will never know!
Price and quality don't always correspond.
Try the tea shop over the road - superior in every respect.
Perhaps being in such a prime location means never having to worry about attracting or keeping custom, and also, perhaps, never having to say you're sorry.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Terence D
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Got a good deal at the hotel with only 24 hours notice and knew the local area. Our room was a standard one which was fine but it faced the sun during the day and was unbearably hot when we arrived - the owner Judy apologised for the temperature in the room and left the window open.It was a warm day for Derbyshire but unfortunately it remained hot throughout our stay - the radiator in the bathroom was on full which didn't help ! The evening meal was ok but with only 3 couples apparently resident in the hotel it was a little eerie. Again the prices of wine in the hotel were very high for average Pinot Grigio . Breakfast was fine .

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at the back in the Summer !
1  Thank YorkJohn
Reviewed 6 June 2014

An excellent time we had - the owners and staff could not have made us more welcome. We have been before and we will certainly be going again. Food was excellently cooked and good choice. It was lovely for our wedding anniversary

Room Tip: choose the romantic suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartington
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Biggin-by-Hartington
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to Charles Cotton Hotel? Share your experiences!