YHA Hartington Hall
US$216
US$128
US$98
US$91
All reviewsyouth hostelself catering kitchenbeautiful buildingbunk bedsdrying roomold housegames roommanor housebonnie princegiant chessschool tripcommunal kitchenshared roomspeak districtcommunal areasspecial thankslocal village
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I booked a double room (with a double bed) with 4 beds over the phone. Upon arrival we were given a four bed dorm. Although this was rectified, it was off putting to go into the room having booked it as a birthday treat for someone. The room eventually (what I booked) was The Roost and it was lovely- although very cold and the TV upstairs didn't work. One of the reasons that I booked this YHA were the real fires. Candles were in the main fire place wtih a note saying that due to a chimney leak the fire was not possible (fair enough) but that the fires would be lit in both the library and the Inglenook. The fires were not lit and I was told that they would light the fire in the Inglenook which didn't happen.
The food was very average (curry night) the food looked dried up and the breakfast was not replinished enough.
The staff whilst pleasant did not seem to have any urgency or enthusiasm for anything.
The one big thing that spoiled the stay was being asked to pay £5 for wifi- come on YHA, this is a tad old fashioned especially when you are getting all the info details!!!!! This would have been a nice offer for the room mix up, cold bedroom and no fires which would have cost you nothing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Oh dear! This does not sound like the usual service we like to provide! I am very sorry about the mix up with rooms, I am not entirely sure how this happened but glad that we were able to rectify it quickly. I will look into the heating in your room and can only apologise for the fact that we have problems with TV signal in this area. We apologise for one of our fires being out of action, I am sure you understand that we cannot use it if it is unsafe to do so. However the other fires should have been lit. We will ensure that the member of staff on duty that night is made aware that this affected your stay! Unfortunately our Wifi is supplied by an outside company and therefore there is a cost associated with supply. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Although I youth hosteled a lot when was younger, this was my first time in Hartington and only my second time hosteling with kids. Hartington was such a good experience I wonder whether other hostels can live up to it!

I think we struck lucky with the room. We booked a family room for 3, but when I arrived we also had a little kitchenette in the room, complete with fridge, kettle, microwave, toaster and hob. My two son's had twin beds and I slept on a sofa bed. The sofa bed wasn't great, but it was worth it to have the extra space and a separate sleeping area. The friends that we were with had a much smaller room with just two sets of bunk beds so it might be worth checking what's available in advance.

There were 4 boys in our party and they loved the games room - had the weather been better they would probably have struggled to chose between football outside or football table inside! There are plenty of places to sit and read or chat (including sofas by the wood burner) and a great supply of games.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening. Food was excellent and there was a licenced bar - I was less impressed by the options for children, but kids under 10 ate for free.

The staff were lovely, relaxed and friendly.

All in all I thought it was a fantastic experience and a great place to stay with kids. Although we were with friends, it would have been a great experience on my own with the kids as they had plenty to go and I would happily have read by the fire.

Room Tip: Given the ethos of the YHA I would feel slightly uncomfortable about asking for a good room - I don't know whether they can promise rooms in advance? However, there is clearly a big difference between the rooms so it is probably worth checking what's available. For instance our room (19) didn't have a great sofa bed (could feel all the springs in the mattress!) but the facilities, space and casement windows were just fabulous and it would be particularly good if you had small kids and needed to heat bottles etc
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We are glad you liked your room and will look into the sofa bed. You are correct in thinking that all of our rooms vary greatly and this is just due to the nature of the 17th century building. If you have specific requests it is always worth calling us and speaking to a member of staff who will be only too happy to talk you through your options and reserve the best room for your needs. As a result of your comment about childrens options we have added an extra dish which we hope gives a good choice. We hope to see you again in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Two of us booked for the Christmas Package. Beautful looking building with roaring log fire as we arrived. I received a telephone call a couple of days prior to arrival asking me if i'd be prepared to swap my room with someone who had broken their leg as my room had easier access. Agreed to this after being promised a larger room with a kitchenette.

Not only was the room small with no kitchenette, it was dirty, had loads of cobwebs and dead flies.

Around the bike shed area it's a mess. The staff leave dog-ends there. Litter strewn around. I picked up loads of litter as i walked around.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda H
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Oh no! I am so sorry that your stay with us was not up to scratch! I know the room that was promised to you and I will look into why it was not the case that you were placed in there. As for the cleanliness of the room, our housekeeping team usually have very high standards so please do not let this put you off staying with us in future but please do let us know about any problems at the time so that we can rectify them, I would have been more than happy to send the housekeeping team to put this right during your stay. We are strongly considering allowing no smoking in the grounds!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

One of the best youth hostels in the world, and I am not even exaggerating.
-20 GBP/night for the two of us in a goergeous neat, spacious and well maintained Victorian cottage room with personal bath.
-A sharing self service kitchen and living room with every possible amenity intact.
-A great library lounge, games lounge and wifi.
-One of the friendliest reception staff ever who will help you out with local walks and other guidance.
-Just next to a beautiful small village with a great pub.
This was a trip I will cherish forever.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a beaming review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope that you will return in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Just back from 4 night break -£118 for twin room with ensuite shower - excellent value for single parent family. We were in the coach house with friends and it was like having our own self catering cottage! Mostly catered for ourselves had dinner one night which was good value - kids eat free. However, service was a bit slow.
Hostel has plenty of games you can borrow and large Jenga, connect 4 and bar football.
Highlight of my son's week - Halloween. Staff put on free kids party including face painting, ghost walk and hot chocolate!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank WalsallEddy
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that you will return in the not too distant future. I am very sorry that you experienced slow service during your meal, I expect that we were a little busier than usual considering it was half term week but this is no excuse and I will investigate further.