YHA Hartington Hall
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel(Biggin-by-Hartington)
Bagshaw Hall(Bakewell)
View Hotel
All reviewsyouth hostelself catering kitchenbeautiful buildingbunk bedsdrying roomold housegames roommanor housebonnie princegiant chessschool tripcommunal kitchenshared roomspeak districtcommunal areasspecial thankslocal village
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here 3 times in last 3 years and always have been a great experience. Nice buffet is served for Breakfast and Dinner. Not sure about lunch as I never got a chance to stay there during lunch time. Although rooms can be very small specially for a couple, but for groups and tourists its an awesome place to conduct activities and appreciate the countryside areas.

• Stayed: May 2014
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stays with us enough to return year upon year. I am sorry that you have not had a lot of space in the past, please do request this and we will do our best as every room is different. I do hope that we will see you again for your fourth year!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I attended a Women's only Boot Camp there in August and even though the heavens opened it was pure heavenly peacefulness. It it such a find for all - families - activity holidays. The staff are excellent and so helpful. The Girl who makes the coffees in the evening certainly has the touch of an Italian Artist of coffee. The gardens are just like being back where I grew up so charming and fresh.

Room Tip: Front of house.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and hoe that you will be encouraged to bring back friends and family in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just returned from weekend stay in room 26 (2x bunk beds en-suite). Met up with 2 other families and had such a great time, adults and children alike! Lots of sitting outside drinking wine whilst the children ran free, played football with new friends and got filthy - perfect!
Used the self catering kitchen, not as big as some other YHA's but perfectly adequate. Ate in the restaurant one night, amazing value, 3 courses for £11.95 and children ate free (2 courses) so a family of four ate for £24.00. Food was fine, for the money it was brilliant and we all enjoyed what we had, sticky toffee pudding was yum and a half!
All staff we encountered were great - friendly, helpful and professional, could not fault them.
Hartington is a lovely village, a very pleasant 3 mile circular walk goes past the youth hostel which (hopefully) burned up a few of the extra sticky toffee pudding calories!
Would definitely go back but would take a fan for the room as it was very hot.
Only (constructive I hope) criticism would be that there was no bathmat provided and the floor was very slippy as you came out the shower, sure we have had these at other YHA's so maybe could be considered? Shower could have been more powerful too but managed to get mud off kids ok!
Another fantastic stay with the YHA, loads more to come I hope,
Thanks very much!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
becky_bourne, Guest Relations Manager at YHA Hartington Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. You were certainly lucky to have lovely weather in which to take advantage of the gardens, I understand however that this meant that your room was quite warm and we are looking into purchasing our own fans for such times. I will discuss the option of bathmats with our management team so that we can come up with a solution for the future. We are constantly trying to improve water pressure in a building of this nature as you can imagine but trust me when I say it is a top priority. Thank you for your helpful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My first time staying in a hostel and I am so impressed!! This YHA is beautiful and in a amazing location. The accommodation exceeded my expectations with comfy cosy beds in old rooms with a modern furniture.
The staff were lovely and the food in the restaurant reasonably priced and very good quality. I am so used to staying in hotels but not any more after my stay here.
There are so many walks around the hostel and the village of hartington is so pretty. I would recommend in a heart beat!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are so glad that you have been 'converted' to YHA and hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just a quick note to those considering a stay at the YHA Hartington Hall Hostel in the Peak District of the UK.

I stayed in this hostel on the evening of June 22nd in 2014. My hostess and the manager of the facility was Heidi. I would give my stay an overall rating of 4.5 of 5 stars with a bias toward excellence.

First the property: I have not stayed in many hostels in the UK, but this certainly must be one of the most picturesque. It stands on a hill and has a grand feel to it. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the food in the restaurant was very good indeed. As with many hostels in the UK, they are licensed to serve beer so one can enjoy an evening drink. The hall is huge and therefore has a large capacity for guests. On the night I was there they were not fully booked, so I had a bunk room to myself. There was a youth group at the facility this night, but once they went to bed I heard not a peep. This may have been due to good adult supervision, but more likely it speaks to good sound isolation between rooms.

I had read elsewhere that I did not need a YHA membership in advance, as I could just buy one as I checked in. This was not offered to me, and so therefore I missed the discount. I did buy a membership after paying the room fee, but it was too late for them to give me the discounted rate as I had already paid. So verify your membership first. Then they could not provide me membership credentials (a member number) immediately, but they gave me a receipt. I proceeded to lose this immediately. Later in my journey Heidi scanned and emailed the receipt to me, and made sure I was covered for membership on the rest of my trip in the UK, so she did go above and beyond, and deserves kudos and credit for her efforts.

The only other issue was the on-site computer on which one could buy internet time. This night the machine was frozen due to a software bug. I work alot with computers, so I tried to fix it for them, but it was beyond my capabilities. So the bad was no internet for guests unless you had your own computer. This was not particularly their fault, but they had no spare common computer and no on-site technical support for their machine. And another note - wireless does not work in the bunk rooms - only in two of the common rooms, because the stone walls are so thick.

The shower was nice and hot.

So overall I would recommend this location. You probably will not encounter (or perhaps even care about) the internet interruption. And just be sure to have or buy your YHA membership before paying for the room. Otherwise it was a beautiful building in a convenient location for accessing the Peaks District of England.

Ken from Colorado

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here in the Peak District. I am very sorry that you encountered a problem with the internet access during your stay, this has now been rectified with the company that provides this service. I hope that the rest of your UK trip is fantastic and we hope that you get chance to visit us again.