“Mothers Day Weekend Break”

Rookley Country Park
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I can't see why people are moaning as we have just returned from our 6th weekend break at Rookley and have 3 more booked for this year and we find the accomodation excellent. If there are any problems they are sorted straight away! I must say that the staff do need a bit of training in customer service but this weekend there was a new girl and she is very friendly and helpful. Last year the discos were run by a chap who was very popular with the children so i hope that he will be there when we go in May!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 March 2012

From the start everyone was very friendly and we were actually upgraded for free to this 3 berth when the travel cot wouldn't fit in our two berth.

Good location and we had a good time with the indoor heated swimming pool and free crazy golf.

Our two boys also loved it and we'll come back again and hope it's a bit warmer next time we stay.

Room Tip: go for the luxury vans!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Unfortunately, we did not read the reviews before booking Rookley, what a mistake. The site itself looks very pretty when you drive in, the lake is nice and you get lovely views of it from the deck. However, the caravans are not fit for purpose; the one we stayed in was old, dirty and very smelly. You could not walk on the carpet or sit on the sofa because they were so dirty. The curtains were all hanging down and the kitchen and bathroom were very tired. I don’t know how old these caravans are but they should not be let out to paying guests. From what I saw, Rookley have invested in new bungalows and do not seem interested in the old caravans and have not maintained or replaced any of them in a long time. The one next to us was let out even though the insulation under the caravan was hanging out and laying in a huge puddle of water. I have recently seen lots of offers on sites like Groupon so they are obviously struggling to hire them out. We went for a weekend and found that 2 of the 3 nights the club room was unavailable to guests as it had been privately hired. This meant that alternative entertainment took place in the small bar area, with only a few tables and was very low key. We did mention our complaints to the reception staff and were told that if we wanted better accommodation we should have booked a bungalow and that it mentioned in the terms and conditions that the club may not be available due to private hire! One other thing, if you do book this site, do not arrive early as they charge £25 for early check-in.

Room Tip: Pay for a bungalow but be aware the entertainment may be limited due to private hire.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tingley2016
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Been to Isle of wight before was lovely but felt caravan was disgusting shower had mould round it and had been filled round edgesof shower cubicle with silicone .smelly and during week the carpet in hallway was so wet your feet were wet.For the money they charge accomodation was rubbish went out most days and as for paying for electric just a con AUGUST 2011 family of 5

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Ive been going here since I was 7 years old, since then I have seen it develop over the years with additions of modern facilities, chalets and more things to do. It's a great place to visit, we stayed in a chalet with hot tub and 2 spacious rooms with living and kitchen area, everything was clean and all amenities catered for. Nothing is too much for staff who are friendly. Only one critism, although situated in rookley, a residential area of idle of wight, it's not close to many of the attractions on the island. Having a car is a must to get around. Great place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Kermittheipod
Reviewed 10 January 2012

When we first arrived in Rookley, the sight it self look beautiful! However it all goes downhill from here. When we first arrived in the caravan we noticed damp patches around the bathroom & then when we unpacked we noticed a mouldy carpet in the wardrobe. We than began to get ready to go out, only to find we had NO hot water at all, so we had to wait an hour for the repair man to turn up, by this point i just wanted to jump on the ferry home! Over the next week we tried to spend as little time in the caravan as we could, which was quite easy as there is so much to do in the Isle of Wight! Though on the Thursday before we left we found possibly the most disgusting thing i have ever seen......A Mushroom growing out of the carpet, yes you read right, the mould was that terrible that a mushroom began to grow out of our bedroom carpet, I felt physically sick how disgusting this caravan was. Please look out for the picture when i upload, it will truly shock you. I would advise you to pretty much go anywhere then here! May i suggest Park resorts Lower hyde? Or Landguard?

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MrsPayne13
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Well here goes, me, my family and friends have just returned from our 4th and last new years break at rookley country park.
The first 3 years have been a really enjoyable experience but I am return this time saddened and disappointed that the new years eve party night was a complete waste of money.
Where do I start ? Well firstly the food we received was shocking, I likened it to a welfare style poor quality Iceland buffet! Poorly organised, long queues, cold burgers and cheap tasteless chicken wings, I was totally embarrassed as I was accompanied by some friends who came on my recommendation. The disco was delivered by a young girl totally out of her depth with no knowledge or interest of her audience. Even when we complained we were dismissed as "we had complaints last year so we catered more for the children" I.e cheap quality party buffet! The cost for my 9and 11 year old children was £23.50 each, very expensive cold burger, even my kids were laughing at how bad it was! In previous years the food has been fantastic but it appears the whole episode has been done "on the cheap" I didn't pay for cheap but that's what I got! The indoor pool was closed and the arcade machines mainly in a state of disrepair. I felt like I was in a 1960's cheap holiday camp and not a country park, thanks rookley happy new year!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Jason N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rookley
Travelodge Newport Isle of Wight
St Helens Holiday Park
St Helens Holiday Park
#3 of 6 in St Helens
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park

Been to Rookley Country Park? Share your experiences!