“Good Value for Money.”

Rookley Country Park
York, United Kingdom
“Good Value for Money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home after a weeks stay. Very good value for money staying in a Wight Cottage. The accommodation was very clean upon arrival although showing some slight wear and tear on carpets and curtains. As other reviews have quoted the double bed mattress is not the best but the two singles were very good. We used the pull out bed in the lounge that was ok for a 8 year old. Good central location for touring of the Island.

The fishing lake is fantastic value for money and even the inexperienced will catch fish. Equipment can be hired at a reasonable rate so make the effort and have a go.

Bar area and food good, curry night goes down well. There were a couple of local bands playing for entertainment which were very good.

There is not a shop on site, however there is a good CO-OP 5 minutes walk away.

We enjoyed our stay and thought that it was very good value for money.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard S
IslandViewHoliday, General Manager at Rookley Country Park, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you found the Park and our pricing to your liking and that you and your family had an enjoyable time. We hope to see you and family back very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Newport Gwent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have stayed at rookley country park for the past 5 years and have only stayed in the three bed cottage good clean furnishings fully fitted kitchens two bathrooms and three bedrooms two of which are on ground floor ideal for my elderly mother and aunt also showeroom just outside bedrooms on ground floor only one complaint the double bed in number 54 was like sleeping on a load of springs with no padding on them had to buy a double duvet to put on mattress good size double bedroom on top floor with good size bathroom curtains in bedroom need to be thicker as like sleeping in daylight but overall good holiday

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Rookley Country Park. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and standards and feedback such as yours gives us the information needed to do just that. Thank you once again and we hope that you will return again in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Rookley for a week in the Easter holidays and thoroughly enjoyed it. As previously mentioned the welcome packs were not really worth the effort however the caravan was lovely and clean and the reception area and lakes were lovely. We had booked 2 caravans which on booking we were told would be next to each other however upon check in we discovered we had another van in between which was disappointing and the lady on reception wasn't overly helpful when I pointed out what I had been promised. Entertainment team work very hard and were brilliant - kids had a ball. Charlie and Tammywere brilliant and kids loved Tammy to bits. Not sure about the third girl very undynamic and nowhere near the enthusiasm of the other two! Are in the restaurant a few times very reasonable prices and excellent food. Bar prices were also very reasonable. Really good location as fairly central on the island to get out and about. If I could make some improvements I would say revamp welcome pack and warm up the pool but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. Thankyou Rookley!

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable holiday at Rookley Country Park and that the team made you feel welcomed and at ease. Thank you for your comments regarding the welcome packs and swimming pool we are currently putting processes in place to make our packs more informative for our guests. We hope that you and the family will be back very soon.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

On our arrival to the holiday park I was very pleased with the reception we received from Sarah, she gave us the relevant paperwork and directed us to our caravan a Medina 2, this I found to be very clean and tidy, after exploring the park. I was so impressed with the park and the location I decided to enquire about purchasing a caravan, so I spoke to a chap called Chris Burrows, who is the sales manager and also looks after the owners. after viewing a few caravans I decided to purchase a Medina 3. I found Chris to be extremely helpful without the typical salesman patter, a pleasure to deal with. I was then introduced to Mandy, Chris's colleague who dealt with the paperwork, and between them the whole process was dealt, and then rechecked by Phil who was the finance manager. It was all dealt with smoothly with no complications, and no pressure to sign till I was 100% happy. I would recommend this holiday park to any body.

Michael Hogan

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikeb7r
IslandViewHoliday, Operations Director at Rookley Country Park, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you so much for your amazing review I am so pleased that you found the team and the Park to your liking. It often the case where holiday guests enjoy the Park so much that they eventually decide, just like yourself, to purchase an affordable Holiday Home of their own. Our sales advisers are always professional and as part of our customer charter we feel that pressure sales are a thing of the past, so I was really delighted to read that the team made you feel at ease and the whole process was simple and informative. I really hope that you will enjoy many years with us and thank you for choosing Rookley Country Park as the ideal location to purchase your Holiday Home.
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We booked via The Sun holidays and after reading the review of others thought oh my god what have we done. I am very critical and expect good customer service so in some ways was wondering what we were going to be met with when we arrived. To try and make it better maybe from reading reviews about the caravans I opted to upgrade to a Cottage with a hot tub. On arrival the welcome was fine, wasnt great, but wasnt bad, was given a pack, a key and directions, all looked good and park looked clean.
The Cottage (Bunaglow) was very nice, large, clean wooden furniture with nice voiles and decent curtains with tie backs. Seemed a little daft to not have a plug socket near the lovely dressing table area in the double room, but did find sockets near the dressing table in the twin room so used this. The bathroom again large with heated towel rail, and spa bath however although nice if it was being picky it could have done with the lino removed the floor underneath being treated and new one laid. The was fairly well equipped but could have done with a grill pan, saucepan and a new frying pan and the one in there was bent and did tend to fall off if you let go, which is not great with hot oil. We made full use of dishwasher and recommend taking some dishwasher tablets, the washing machine however was of no use really, we did use it but it took forever and the dryer was useless.
We had upgraded to have a hot tub, however on arrival there was no water in it and screws on the top, so when we went back to reception and was advised that it broken down the weekend before we arrived and the part had been ordered for next day delivery which was the day we arrived and therefore it should be fixed tomorrow, to which we gave them the benefit of the dout. However after returning from a day out the following day it still wasn't fixed, so back to reception and this time we was eventually offered after a long wait offered a refund difference between a cottage and cottage with hot tub, so will wait for this to show back on my card as a refund. When we returned Thursday it was full with water but an error message was still showing, so was still unable to use before leaving the next day.
The park was clean and tidy, with staff walking around every morning pick up any rubbish they come across, and bins were at the end of each of the cottage rows.
Swimming pool was fairly small but still useable, and couldnt be looked into from other areas of the park I felt was a bonus. However there was only one large changing area with a door on, but no chair or bench inside so bags and clothes on what could be at times a wet floor could do with someone looking into some small improvements.
Next to this was a small amusement area, outside free crazy golf and a playarea.
We found that this accomodation was ideally situated to visit the whole of the island of which we managed to do on our visit.
As for shopping I would probably say avoid the Co-op for a full weekly shop, which is just up the road from the park as is very expensive and drive the 10 mins to the nearest Morrisons.
All in all I would recommend the park to friends and family, however I would say that the park should look into their - reception staff (espically on check out days) should be someone who is able to deal with customers in the apporiate manor!, signs be placed up with reception opening times on, the welcome pack needs attention as complete waste of time at present, cottages should have a welcome pack detailing how to use items within the accomodation maybe, together with local information, bar times, food times and offerings, what equipment can be hired and from where etc. And the cleaning staff need to pay more attention to detail (ie cleaning skirting boards, bottom of bath area/toilet (And remove all the stinking/used toilet brushes! Nothing worse!)
Our holiday review is based on two adults 35-45 and a 5 year old child.
We would return and recommend this park to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara F
Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative and detailed review of Rookley Country Park.

It is often the case that potential guests would read our reviews to gain some perspective on what they might encounter on holiday with us, and it is natural for most readers to focus on the negative aspects. I am pleased however to read that you gave us the opportunity to prove that we strive for top class service and standards. In the same breath I was a little disappointed that you felt the check in process and greeting was average, as normally we receive regular compliments from our guests regarding the service they encounter.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the hot tub issue which unfortunately was beyond our control, as you can imagine, this is a very embarrassing situation for us as we appreciate that you must have looked forward to this facility being available. I hope that this hasn’t caused you too much inconvenience and I am glad that the team provided you with the refund as mentioned.

Thank you for you kind comments regarding the cleanliness of the Park as the maintenance team work very hard to keep the Park looking its best. Your suggestions regarding the pool and information packs were very helpful, thank you. The Park team are currently compiling a list, as per your suggestions, to give our future customers even more information that would assist them during their holiday.

I’m sorry if you felt the reception team didn’t deal with you in an appropriate manner upon check out. Please feel free to send me some further information on our website detailing what we could have done better to make your check out a more pleasant experience.
I have passed your comments on to the Accommodation team regarding the cleanliness of your cottage and I am sure from reading your review they will be more vigilant to the issues mentioned for future guests.

Thank you once again I sincerely hope that you will visit us again in the near future
Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Both rookley park and hoseasons whom we booked our accommodation with should thoroughly ashamed.
The accommodation had not been cleaned with rubbish on the lounge floor and dirty work surfaces in the kitchen area. The floors in all the rooms had clearly not been touched. On talking to reception the person gave me a card and told me to comment on trip advisor.
On checking out all became apparent the 'cleaning team' were made up of a few teenagers and a guy with a Hoover who spent most of his time standing outside smoking and drinking water.

As we were packing to leave a couple other holiday makers came over with similar comments.

The beds are another story, I've seen sandwiches with more filling and smell of other people on the pillows was a finaly to a waste of money. My advice to this company is buck up and stop wasting people's hazard earned money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Kevin T
IslandViewHoliday, Operations Director at Rookley Country Park, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

At times we do get things wrong and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to live up to our usual high standards for you and your family. I have passed your comments onto the Accommodation Manager who was deeply embarrassed and wanted me to relay her apology for this oversight. We do however ask guests to inform reception at the earliest opportunity of any issues they may experience, to give us the opportunity to rectify any problems thus getting them back to the relaxing and stress free holiday that was originally intended. Reviewing our records it is unfortunate that on this occasion it would seem that no complaint was raised regarding your issues.

The team Island View Holidays are very proud to be part of the company and they work very hard to create an environment were customers feel at ease and relaxed. So with this in mind I am truly sorry if you feel that any of my team have let you down in any way due to their professionalism. I have mentioned your comments to the Heads of Departments and I can assure you that this matter is taken seriously.

Thank you for your comments regarding the mattresses, we have invested and acquired new ones for the 2014 season and this may have been genuine oversight with regards to your accommodation.

I sincerely hope that you would give us a second chance to prove that we offer excellent standards in accommodation and service and we hope that you will return again in the near future.
Worcester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My family stayed here in September last year and got a caravan for a good price. The location is right in the centre of the Isle of Wight so quite convenient if you want to travel the island. The caravan we had was modern looking, spacious and clean. We had an issue with the tv which was sorted by reception. Only downside is you can't park your car by the caravan as they are put together too tightly so it's not great if you have a caravan near the end when you're carrying your luggage there and back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rookley
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
Premier Inn Isle of Wight Sandown (Merrie Gardens)
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 31 in Sandown

Been to Rookley Country Park? Share your experiences!