“Another Enjoyable Stay”

Rookley Country Park
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We have just returned from our second visit staying in a cottage (4 adults & 2 children). Prior to our visit we were very concerned with the number of poor reviews we had read and were bracing ourselves for a week of disappointment! So here goes our findings...
Check in: Very smooth and staff friendly
Accommodation: Clean and tidy
Resort: Perfect location to visit all points of the island. Excellent fishing lakes for all ages and experience. The staff regularly walked around ensuring the site was tidy and litter free. A variety of activities for children of all ages.
All staff were very helpful at all times and the couple of very minor issues/requests we had were resolved promptly within the hour.
To sum up our week, we all wished we had booked another week as did not want to come home. In our opinion all the negative reviews we read were not warranted.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dave P

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We are campers who like somewhere to base (sleep / eat etc) so we can visit local landmarks / attractions.
Upon arrival we were immediately disappointed by a lack of information provided to us, I went reception to check in and whilst I was waiting I idolly listened to all the information being given to the person in front of me (who was staying in a caravan), when it was my turn I was given welcome pack and directed to the pitches (I was not given any of the information given to the previous person), we made our way to the pitches and found there were no 'marked' out pitches so we basically had to plonk ourselves where we could fit.
At first glance the toilets seemed ok, however I was disappointed when on our 2nd night I used the shower facilities to find that a) the shower doors would not close properly, b) the floors were filthy c) the water was boiling hot (with children 8y and 6m this was an impossible task to shower them and even myself as it was so hot, and yes there were warning signs but I feel the heat was unacceptable and should be dealt with) and d) we were expected to mop the floors after showering with a mop that basically moved the water around the floor.
The washing machines were ok, but the instructions small and only after I shut the door and press start did I realise there was no drawer and that the wash powder / fabric softener needed to be put in the drum!
On our second night I visited the toilets around 9pm to find the floor completely flooded, covered in hair and toilet roll, and no toilet roll or handwash; the following morning I reported this to reception (along with the fact that the mop was useless and that the male toilets were no better) and was told that the cleaner would be in that morning, however on my return that afternoon (and after seeing the cleaner in the toilet) I noted that the floors were still filthy (hair, toilet roll etc on the floor and still empty toilet roll).
I also want to add that there was no baby changing facilities meaning that when I showered my son I had to balance him on a chair to dry / dress him.
We did not partake in the 'entertainment' side, but did eat in the Quarterdeck, the food was average and overpriced.
The children's playground was ok and my daughter enjoyed the crazy golf.
Prior to the visit to here we stayed on a farm campsite, whose facilities were much cleaner, even though they were converted barns and filled with spiders!
No on-site shop however there is a co-operative over the road (charging around 20% more than average).
I was very disappointed with this site.
On the positive side was the low cost and a fairly quiet campsite with friendly people who all shared the same views regarding the 'cleanliness' of the toilets / showers.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Excellent stay recently in August. Very nice, clean and relaxing caravan. Location is superb. Good value for money. Entertainment centre is faboulous. I want to come back and utilize most of it and most likely to stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DrBansalDeepak
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed in caravan 205, privately owned, very clean, refurbished with lovely recliner leather sofas! Right next to swimming pool and park/ crazy golf. View of lake, lovely walks around fishing lakes. 20-30 minutes from everything! Kids loved it, not rammed with children like other parks! Will be back!!!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Having booked a cottage i expected something special, the place was covered in cobwebs and hadn't been cleaned properly. After complaining the head cleaner was called,(she looked as if she didn't know what shower gel was) they apologised and set about cleaning, but it wasn't to a decent standard at all. The location is great, but i expect more for the money i paid, i would not recommend at all.

2  Thank anne taylormade
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for just 2 nights and it cost £258 for a caravan! The caravan itself was quite nice but a bit shabby for the price, but it was clean and we were able to check in before the normal time of 4pm which is really late so that was good. The single beds are tiny for an adult so be aware if booking for a number of adults, they are too narrow to sleep comfortably and I am only 5 foot 4 inches but my feet came over the end. The kitchen was well equipped with crookery but they don't supply any basics such as a washing up liquid, tea towels, an iron or hairdryer, not even a hand soap in the toilet or towels. You literally have to bring everything which is annoying for a short stay, for that price I think they should supply a few minimal basics like you get even in basic hotel rooms. Also it got really cold at night and it's only August but they did not supply any extra blankets. The shower drainage was really slow so you have to be quick or it will overflow. It was a nice caravan but really should of included more for the price. The pools closed pretty early which was disappointing and they could do with a bit more lighting around at night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at this park 2 years ago and loved every minute. We decided to come back for 2014 and its changed for the worst. When we got to our accomodation there was spider webs everywere and it took 2 days and many phone calls to get extra pillows for the beds. The entertainment in the club half the groups did not turn up. The fish and chip shop shut more times than it opened and the bar staff short changed me and was rude and arrogent when i complained. The duty managers attitude was the same. I,d advice anyone staying here not to bother. Overpriced and lack of customer service. Charlie in my opinion was the only customer focused member of staff and his talents wasted here.

3  Thank gcolli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rookley
Travelodge Newport Isle of Wight
#3 of 6 in St Helens
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park
Cheverton Copse Holiday Park

Been to Rookley Country Park? Share your experiences!