“Very dissapointed”

The Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Rookley
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set in the middle of some of the Isle of Wight's most beautiful countryside, the historic Chequers Inn was once a Customs and Excise house. Now under the ownership of Island born couple, Sam and Donna Shaw, it is a vibrant and welcoming pub/restaurant much loved by locals and visitors alike. Dedicated to serving good, honest food and drink within a family friendly environment, it is a must for anyone looking for delicious food and drink served in relaxed and pleasant surroundings.
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Have been here for years. Will not be returning. Good was ok but nothing special for what it costs. Place has no atmosphere. Was so disappointed.

2  Thank Lydia R
There are newer reviews for The Chequers Inn

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were staying as B&B guests in the large and well appointed rooms at Chequers over the Easter weekend and enjoyed two dinners there. The stay overall was excellent and the food (roast one day and from the specials list the other) exceeded expectations. Service was attentive, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and we look forward to returning.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

After years of returning to the Isle of Wight, we finally got to eat at The Chequers Inn. For starters, 3 members of my family chose the pan fried garlic field mushrooms at £6:95 per plate. When it arrived there was only 1 medium sized mushroom on the plate with a small salad. Expensive 3 mushrooms. My daughter found a long black hair in her salad. My oldest son chose the garlic bread with mozzarella which turned up with cheddar on it instead. At this point we told the waitress about this as he loves mozzarella and had also ordered the Nachos which clearly states that they are served with mozzarella. Surprise surprise! this also turned up with cheddar, even after speaking to the waitress. I was looking forward to my steak after a long day walking round Robin Hill Park. I had ordered this cooked medium and it arrived as if it had spent a week on the grill. No apology or discount. It was like no one was any the wiser. Avoid at all cost.

1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Easter Sunday with my family and no record of our table booking, mixed up drinks orders and ended up paying for someone else's(luckily not too much!) told there was no pizza for my youngest and then a Dirty Black Hair in my food!!! Offered drinks or desserts but decided that they couldn't get things right at that point so, I went without my food and had to waited til my family finished theirs. In the end they refunded me for my scampi but realised I had wasted the onion rings that were on my plate when I returned it!!! As islanders we will not be returning!!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Visited for Easter sunday we booked in advance but on arrival we were told they hadn't had a table put by for us! They were very helpful and quickly seated us on another table that was reserved! (not sure what they intended to do with the people that had booked that table!) then proceeded to tell us we were the second people that day that this had happened to, anyway we ordered drinks then got charged for someone else's!
We still stayed and ordered food only to be told about 5 minutes later that they didn't have a child's pizza and chips! Still we made an alternative choice, the food came and 2 of the 4 meals had short black hairs in! Needless to say I would not recommend this place at all and I'm a local !