“DONT GO HERE!!!”

The Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Rookley
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set in the middle of some of the Isle of Wight's most beautiful countryside, the historic Chequers Inn was once a Customs and Excise house. Now under the ownership of Island born couple, Sam and Donna Shaw, it is a vibrant and welcoming pub/restaurant much loved by locals and visitors alike. Dedicated to serving good, honest food and drink within a family friendly environment, it is a must for anyone looking for delicious food and drink served in relaxed and pleasant surroundings.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“DONT GO HERE!!!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Always have came here because knew it was good value for money but when we arrive the pub had no atmosphere they had a carvery what looked horrible we had chicken and mushroom tagliatelle and a hunters chicken which was the smallest portion in the world the tagliatelle was full of cream so horrible couldn't eat all of it the waitress put sauces on the table which another table just finished with so unhygienic when we went to complain they put up a fight I couldn't be botherd with the hassle a lot of money for what it's worth won't go back there again!!!

3 Thank Chenine23

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Terrible service and food”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Decided to go here for a change on a Saturday afternoon, I wish we never bothered! I had the hunters chickens, which was over cooked and tiny compare to my friends who had a big bowl of Tagliatelle with mushrooms, and extremely over powering creamy sauce. With the hunters chicken was meant to be cooked carrots but were particular raw. The woman who gave us our meals didn't offer us sauces just gave a tray which he took from another table an dump it on ours! 3 meals and to £50! What a rip off! We even complained saying we weren't happy, but the bloke at the bar was just putting up a fight saying it wasn't there fault! Disgusting! Won't be returning!

London, United Kingdom
“Poor Food”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were a large table, I ordered the garlic mushrooms with mozzarella - at almost £7 I was disgusted that I was given one mushroom!!!! With a lump of cheddar on it!!! one mushroom for £7!!!!!!!!! I complained and the very helpful waitress agreed to take this off of our bill, they forgot my sons starter and this turned up some time later and the prawn cocktail had no sauce! I ordered a fillet steak for main course and asked for it to be cooked medium, it was very well done, so again i complained, I was told this was how medium steaks were served - my response to this was that in 40 years of eating steak I had always had medium steak and never in my life has seen a steak like this - what happened to the customer is always right!!! To sum up the food was awful, not one of our meals was cooked well, liver and bacon was also cooked within an inch of its life, if it wasn’t for the wonderful staff who are a credit to this place I would have walked out, the staff really are fantastic and were apologetic and friendly, its just a shame the chef on duty in my opinion cant cook!!! and given by the other recent reviews I am not alone in this thinkin

1 Thank girlvicar
“Very dissapointed”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Have been here for years. Will not be returning. Good was ok but nothing special for what it costs. Place has no atmosphere. Was so disappointed.

2 Thank Lydia R
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, friendly service”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were staying as B&B guests in the large and well appointed rooms at Chequers over the Easter weekend and enjoyed two dinners there. The stay overall was excellent and the food (roast one day and from the specials list the other) exceeded expectations. Service was attentive, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and we look forward to returning.

• Visited April 2014