“Excellent carvery”

The Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Rookley
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set in the middle of some of the Isle of Wight's most beautiful countryside, the historic Chequers Inn was once a Customs and Excise house. Now under the ownership of Island born couple, Sam and Donna Shaw, it is a vibrant and welcoming pub/restaurant much loved by locals and visitors alike. Dedicated to serving good, honest food and drink within a family friendly environment, it is a must for anyone looking for delicious food and drink served in relaxed and pleasant surroundings.
aldershot
“Excellent carvery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Highly recommend the carvery good value for money,friendly staff,lovely location,good atmosphere dog friendly as well+++

Ventnor, United Kingdom
“lost its way /”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This pub is well positioned with a children's area and plenty of seating inside. My memory was of value for money, unpretentious and friendly service.
My recent visit will probably be my last. Little atmosphere and dreadful food. If you enjoy a plate piled high with little regard for quality then you will not agree with me.
Sorry, I hate to write a bad revue of an Island venue.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank gillian4343
Arreton, United Kingdom
“Amazing, family friendly! Would highly recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Lived on the island for many years and never been to this pub as always found it a little out of the way, but finally decided to try it, a great decision! Upon arrival the atmosphere was brilliant and the family friendly theme was immediately apparent due to the amazingly well equipped garden and kids play area.
Pleasant service from all the staff who had a great attitude and were up for a joke, making the whole experience more enjoyable! Once we final got the kids away from the play area to decide what they wanted and put in an order, the food was served quickly and was very well presented. I had the steak while the rest of our party had carvery. My steak was incredible well cooked and everything on the cavery was hugely enjoyable, especially the meat. Once we had finished the staff were very attentive in clearing our plates and offering us deserts.
My bread and butter pudding was very good and was clearly home made, something I always look for from a local pubs.
We were then able to go and sit down outside with the kids and fully enjoy the well kept garden and surrounding fields, where the staff were once again very attentive and polite in making sure we were looked after in terms of offering us more drinks etc.
Overall a very nice experience and I will definitely be a local from now on!

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“DONT GO HERE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Always have came here because knew it was good value for money but when we arrive the pub had no atmosphere they had a carvery what looked horrible we had chicken and mushroom tagliatelle and a hunters chicken which was the smallest portion in the world the tagliatelle was full of cream so horrible couldn't eat all of it the waitress put sauces on the table which another table just finished with so unhygienic when we went to complain they put up a fight I couldn't be botherd with the hassle a lot of money for what it's worth won't go back there again!!!

3 Thank Chenine23
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Terrible service and food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Decided to go here for a change on a Saturday afternoon, I wish we never bothered! I had the hunters chickens, which was over cooked and tiny compare to my friends who had a big bowl of Tagliatelle with mushrooms, and extremely over powering creamy sauce. With the hunters chicken was meant to be cooked carrots but were particular raw. The woman who gave us our meals didn't offer us sauces just gave a tray which he took from another table an dump it on ours! 3 meals and to £50! What a rip off! We even complained saying we weren't happy, but the bloke at the bar was just putting up a fight saying it wasn't there fault! Disgusting! Won't be returning!