“A real castle to sleep in!”
Review of Barcaldine Castle

Barcaldine Castle
Ranked #1 of 6 Benderloch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This was one of the best experiences of our Scottish holiday- sleeping in an honest to goodness castle! Well over 400 years old, it was purchased by an English businessman and restored to be a B&B. Ronnie and Liz are wonderful hosts, and very busy! We heard that they are completely booked for the rest of 2013, with weddings galore. The scenery is stunning, looking over fields to the water. Breakfasts are served in the main hall with Celtic music playing. Scottish salmon and eggs are just too difficult to pass up! Ronnie gave us a tour of the castle, along with the history. You need to be in pretty good shape to climb those circular steps up to the guest rooms, and to keep up with Ronnie! It is also fun to see the secret passageways built into the castle walls! We will certainly return to the "Black Castle"!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My two friends and I stayed in the Breadalbane room for two nights recently, and we all loved it. The castle itself is definitely off the beaten track, with a short drive on a single track road off the main road required to reach it. It is a beautiful place that feels removed from the world, but close enough to Oban to have plenty of food and entertainment options available. When we arrived, the spare bed in the room was already made up for one of us, and the other two shared the big four-poster. There was a wifi receiver right in the room, so the signal was nice and strong. After a week of traveling, we loved the HUGE claw foot tub! (There is also a lovely, separate shower in this room) Every detail in the room was perfect, right down to the washcloths tied with tartan ribbons. Breakfasts were amazing, and the breakfast room/lounge is just beautiful. Looking back, probably some of the best food I had on the trip were the breakfasts here (porridge with berries and honey one day, kippers and eggs the next)! If you're visiting the Oban area, this is definitely the place to stay. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: We were told Breadalbane is the largest room (there is a sofa that can be made into an extra bed). I...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I married at Barcaldine on Christmas Eve 2012. We were looking for something intimate, friendly, professional and stress free. We found it at Barcaldine. Ronnie and Liz made our day so special. They allowed us to focus on each other by making sure everything was perfectly arranged. We married infront of a roaring fire in the main hall with Ronnie and Liz acting as witnesses. I had forgotten to arrange transport to our reception venue so Ronnie stepped in and drove us there and back.We stayed for Christmas dinner which was superb and excellent value for money. The best Christmas day my wife and I have spent together.The accomadation was excellent, the bedrooms modern and spacious, the shared areas warm and welcoming. Barcaldine is all anyone could want for a wedding venue and Ronnie and Liz the most welcoming hosts you could have. The whole experience was excellent value for money. I would strongly recommend anyone to visit Barcaldine as you will not regret it. Oh, and last but not least, the breakfast was the best I have ever had. You haven't had a full english breakfast until you have had a full scottish!

Room Tip: Saw them all, each are perfect
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobD1384
Liz A, Manager at Barcaldine Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you Rob & Caroline for your lovely comments. The pleasure was ours. It has given us an excuse to look at your wedding pictures again. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Castle in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

My wife always wanted to stay in a castle so we chose to stay at Barcaldine for two nights because it met our image of a typical small Scottish castle with towers and stepped gables beside a loch. It met all our expectation in these respects. My wife just loved it.
Our welcome could not have been more pleasant. Liz is a wonderfully warm person with an obvious interest and enthusiasm for the property and years of experience dealing with people.. We had the Argyll room, one of the smaller rooms I suspect but still a good size with a modern shower room directly off. It combined all the necessary modern amenities within the constraints of a 17th century castle. We had ordered afternoon tea thinking this might tide us over to dinner. However, the afternoon tea was more than enough to see us through to breakfast, was delicious and exquisitely presented to us in the very atmospheric Great Hall. Breakfast was a mixture of the practical and the scrumptious. The cereals were packs of the common proprietary brands and preserves were in small jars from a select provider; the ambrosial hot breakfasts, cooked by Ronnie, were a tour de force. I failed to finish my breakfast on either morning. I favoured fish while my wife had the full Scottish one morning and poached eggs.the next. All were just as we wanted them.
In short, we could not have had a more pleasant stay. The castle is in a splendid position with views over Loch Creran. If you are a birder and come in summer you may have, as we did, the added joy of seeing spotted flycatchers and redpolls flying around the garden in addition to the hirundines which are just everywhere in the area. A super stay enhanced by the friendly hardworking hosts.
One word of caution; there are stairs. There is no way of avoiding the stairs. If you have mobility problems then this castle is probably not for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We had a wonderful break at this interesting and unusual establishment. The hosts were so friendly and were very well-versed in the history of the castle. The room was everything we expected to be and all the fittings very good quality. This stay was expensive, but very good value for money. The breakfast was very special, and I would recommend this place to anyone looking for somewhere really special.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed at this amazing castle for two nights. I felt like a princess, I soaked in a claw foot tub that was longer than me,(and I am 5'10")!, I had the best sleep ever, and was so impressed with the quality and quantity of the breakfast. My husband and I enjoyed the historical setting, furnishings, even the paintings were incredible. We walked in the countryside in the evening and enjoyed the amazing sunsets. The entire stay was enjoyable and memorable, but to top it all were the friendly, hospitable, and " felt like family" people that work there, ( special hello to the owner,David). Thank you all for the great memories.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were married here two years ago and came back at the end of May 2013 for our second anniversary. Liz and Ronnie are the warmest most welcoming hoteliers you could wish to meet. The hotel is nothing but luxury all the way with the smallest details in place. Amazing beds, the longest bath I've ever been in and wonderful breakfast. The area is one of the most beautiful and you can see the mountains and the sea from some of the windows - talk about room with a view! Lovely warm friendly atmostphere from the owner, staff and the ghosts! For a small wedding, I can't think of anywhere that would have been more perfect. We were married in front of a huge stone fireplace in a wood pannelled room with our nearest and dearest. Drinks in the lairds lounge followed by a fantastic dinner in the pannelled room again. Everyone was catered for superbly and everyone loved the day and their stay. Liz and Ronnie work extremely hard to make this probably the best hotel we'll ever stay in. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Breadalbane room with the four poster. Top luxury and the bed was like sleeping in...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benderloch
Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island
3 mi away
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Port Appin

Been to Barcaldine Castle? Share your experiences!