The fact that we've made 4 trips from Cornwall to Eriska speaks for itself. It is our favourite hotel in the UK (& we've stayed at some very nice hotels in the last few years). This time I thought it was possibly even better than usual for two reasons. The staff, many of whom come from various parts of Europe, seemed to strike just the right balance this time of the usual really top notch service plus a friendly & informal personal touch when it's needed. The new chef is outstanding: the food, always good before, is now very close to Michelin star quality.
What else makes it special?
The setting: it is a truly beautiful & tranquil little island to wander around admiring the scenery & listening to the birds, more often than not without seeing a soul.
The rooms: we've now stayed in standard, superior and spa suite rooms and they're all very good indeed. Public rooms are very nice too.
The facilities: a very decent 17m pool (if only it opened a bit earlier than 8.30!), a 9 hole golf course often with no-one on it (admittedly too soggy to use this time), a small gym & a variety of other sports & outdoor activities.
The service: excellent, and we love the fact that afternoon tea & cakes and morning coffee are all part of the deal and beautifully done.
The food: see above. The wine list is good & there are some decent house wines not overpriced compared with some other hotels we've been to.
It isn't cheap but I have always felt that it offers good value for its price. There are no hidden extra costs & never any sense of an attempt to extract more from you once you're there, in the way that some other places do. The emphasis is on looking after guests extremely well & being made to feel very comfortable indeed.
Are there any downsides?
A personal view is that the pool should open at least half an hour, even an hour, earlier than it does.
Walking round the island is wonderful but if you want to do a longer more serious walk you really have to get in the car and drive because the walking over the bridge from Eriska gets a bit repetitive if you're here for a few days but there is some good walking within a fairly short drive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Golf is situated on its own island on the west coast of Scotland connected to the mainland by a small, vehicle bridge. Only 2 hours drive from Glasgow and 10 minutes from Oban, it offers the perfect location to relax and unwind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isle Of Eriska Hotel, Spa And Golf
- Isle Of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Golf Hotel Benderloch
- Isle Of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island Benderloch, Scotland