“Childhood memories”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crookhaven
Barleycove Holiday Park
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a location I often visited with my family when I was young, so it has great memories for me. The place has been expanded but is essentially the same with a few additions. There is a small playground and at the far end there is a play area/unit for younger kids.
We were only here for a single night and stayed in our tent. I really enjoyed seeing the beach and area again. Things have changed, there was a lot more traffic on the road and you can now get mobile reception here (not a good thing).
It's still run by the same family, that hasn't changed either.

Room Tip: We were not give a choice, we were directed to were they wanted our tent, even though there was load...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rob O

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've been going to this area for the past 20 years staying at the hotel and holiday homes around a local town called crookhaven but I thought this year I would try this campsite.
Where to begin, firstly when we arrived we were greated with a rude frosty person working at reception who in my opinion looked to be having a very bad day so thought nothing of it then they instructed us where to set up our caravan. After setting up our caravan a member of staff approached us and said that we had to move after we were fully set up, without argument we moved and got fully set up. First day on site we went for a walk about to see what the site has to offer, as I have been going down for many years previous I had seen what the site was like, some hasn't changed from first opening and others parts are new and when I say other parts what I mean is new mobiles have moved on site and that's really it. On day 2 I went for a shower and found the place looked new tiles etc so all looked good until I got to the shower and looked up and found bare wires hanging from the roof and massive holes where lights should be. I tried to clean dishes in the allocated wash area and found no hot water just luke warm water, after approaching a member of staff just to let them know (I was not complaining) I was told to mind my own business. On day 3 I went to the shop to get a few bits and pieces for breakfast well it had very little to choose from no sausages or bacon 1 loaf of bread it was terrible but the staff in the shop where very helpful so we went to a local town called goleen to get what wasn't available in the shop. On day 4 I left in washing in to be done (mine, my son's and my wife's) wasn't that much again met with a cold greeting in the main office and when I asked when it would be ready they said "I don't know when the machine is finished" at first I thought it was a joke but no just a dirty look was given. When I went to collect my washing I met a new person at reception who for a change was really polite and friendly and showed me where to collect my washing. My wife was sorting through the washing and putting it away when she noticed a lot of items missing so I brought this up to a member of staff at reception who told me it wasn't their responsibility and refused to help at this point I gave up I asked to speak with the person in charge and found it to be the man that was very grumpy and impolite the whole time I told him I wished to leave and I asked for the money back for the notes I had not stayed yet as I had paid for 14 nights and currently only stayed 3, to which he laughed and said "you can want away but no refunds are given" after a lot of bickering and arguing with this ignorant man I managed to get some of my money back for nights I had not stayed. In future I will be going back to hiring local holiday homes or staying at the hotel. This man put me off the caravan site but not this place it is lovely if you are thinking of going to this area seek some where else to stay to save heart and head ache.

• Stayed: July 2014
21  Thank st1345
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Barleycove is all about the beach. If you want to camp and be accessible to the beach then this is the place. The campsite is a few minutes walk from a small but lovely beach and about 1km up hill to the amazing Barleycove beach.

I was there with my husband staying in the tent section. It was extremely busy and the tents were very close together. Although there is a quiet rule from 11pm, this was not enforced and there was noise until 2am from groups around campfires. This, as in all campsites depends on who your neighbours are. We were unfortunate in that the owner of the campsite located in the middle of a group of four families travelling together.

There are two toilet blocks, one could do with refurbishment but the other is fantastic. Showers are free. My one serious complaint about this campsite is that they do not provide any handwash in the toilet facilities.

It is a 20 minute walk to Crookhaven where there is a small shop and some good restaurants and live music at the weekend. The walk is beautiful but a little dangerous in the dark.

There is a very small freezer in the campsite office which dis not work very well and was always full. Our icepacks were never frozen, even after 12 hours in the freezer (unlike in the other campsites we visited).

All in all, I would return to this campsite if the weather was good and I wanted to spend most of my time at the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank JEM011
Reviewed 26 March 2013

this place is fab for families. camps are on frequently on the sports grounds- local sailing clubs in crookhaven! and although some of the mobiles are in need of restoration, they have constantly being replaced over the last few years and are being fitted with top class, modern versions. during the summer months, if you book late there's a chance you might get the older versions, but will all the facilities and great activities in the vicinity you'll want to spend very little time inside. each mobile has a large garden for you to do what you wish with. so if you're there for the full summer season great for setting up barbecues and lounge chairs. location is top class. walking distance of 5 beaches with rocky and cockle shell just on the campsite's doorstep. would recommend to everyone of all ages!

Room Tip: make sure to book early and ask for the modern versions! :P
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank corkreviews
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We arrived in Barleycove camping site on Wednesday 8/8/12, to be greated by friendly staff who explained the sites facilities and escorted us to where, me the hubby and 2 boys 6+9 could set up camp. Having been here 10 or so years before I was thrilled to see how well maintained the park was, how clean and flat! ( believe me when ur camping it has to be level). The sun shone, plenty activity for kids and safe to let them explore alone. The site was cleaned and serviced daily as we were there. We spent 2 glorious days on the local beach with the pontoon bridge, so relaxed we were horizontal. In the evening ventured into Crookhaven to O'Sullivans for fresh catch of the day for supper. It's a real hideaway, no riff/raff and the boys loved it. Only downside was the que for showers, and being near the sea,it got windy on our last night. Mizen vision is a must,its the end of the world, to see the last manned lighthouse and be in awe of how gorgeous our country is on a sunny day! I'm Terrified of heights but I was swept away by the views. I will definitely be returning. The site is secure and very well maintained. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Pitch ur tent near walls for shelter from winds,pack the suncream and turn off ur phone!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Eleanor V
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here in the early eighties with my family, so going back to Barleycove was a real trip down memory lane. We just stayed for one night on Saturday 14th July, pulled in abour 8pm and the park was buzzing completely full. The staff were very helpful, sincere and genuine and it just made my heart sing with joy that the place was as lovely and charming as i had remembered it. No it is not the ritz, but it is completely functionally with everything that you might need, set amongst beautiful scenery. I couldn't recommend this park enough.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rosieposiepud
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Barleycove Caravan park is just awesome, situated between Goleen, Crookhaven and Mizen Head this is a fantastic family park.
Don't expect anything amazing, it is of course in the middle of know where but this is why it is so special, a well kept secret with many many people turing up year after year. Anyone who has done their research for West Cork with know have an idea of what to expect. With a little shop and eating place on site there is enough to keep you and the kids amused. Just a 20 minute walk crom Crookhaven, a gorgeous little fishing village with friendly pubs and the good oul craic.
Ans of course you are only a short stroll from the most fabulous beaches.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nauney

Been to Barleycove Holiday Park? Share your experiences!