“good stay”

The Black Horse Inn
Reviewed 1 September 2013

when arriving at the black horse we parked with no problem, went to bar and got our key, the room was great. we then went to the bar for a few beers and was made very welcome, we had the homemade burgers and chips for dinner and can honestly say it was the best we had ever had. the next day we went out for the day come back and tried the steak which came out on a hot stone we had never had steak like this before but can say its probably the best way to have it, it was delicious.. we travel a lot and this was one of out best stays away.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We recently stayed at the Black Horse Inn we had a comfortable room we also had two meals in the restaurant both very good all the staff were friendly also had six real ales highly recommended good for Newmarket races and visiting Cambridge

Reviewed 30 August 2013

As a regular user of the Black Horse, I'm very surprised that anyone could find fault with staff, beer, food and accomodation offered. I have been in the hospitality trade since I was 14 years of age, and I can say that I've never seen such a devotion to detail or guests. I will certainly be going again soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I am so glad that we decided to stay at The Black Horse for our trip to visit the family this summer!! Due to lack of space I was forced to find accommodation in the surrounding area for myself and my partner. With their competitive prices we decided to stay in this lovely, little country pub hotel and was chuffed that we had made this decision. Upon arriving at the hotel we were shown to our room by a bright, chatty member of staff who had good local knowledge on the surrounding areas. Being young we wanted to find some nightlife for our visit and were given great advice on where to go and how to get there.
Our room was a double room which was extremely clean, with fresh bedding and towels and tea/coffee making facilities. Being a cleaner myself I am always anxious when staying in hotels but was relieved upon inspection to find the room up to my ‘clean freak’ standards.
We decided to invite the family to eat at the pub restaurant after seeing the delicious, mouth-watering dishes being brought out by the waitress. Needless to say my family loved it! The Burgers and Steaks were AMAZING!! We were spoilt for choice and it took me a ridiculous amount of time to choose from the variety of meals on offer. They also had a great wine selection, and I had a delicious white wine which I loved so much I have since googled and bought myself to have again at home!
Being a large party we were served our food and drinks promptly and correctly with no missing items or incorrect orders (always a bonus!!) All of the staff had a great sense of humour and survived my family’s sarcastic banter. We ended up having a fantastic meal and were even ordered a local taxi by the landlady when deciding we wanted to move on for an evening in Cambridge which is only a short drive away.
Being in a quiet location we had an undisturbed, comfortable sleep and had plenty of time to use the facilities in the morning before having the 'life saving' hangover breakfast and checking out.
Overall I felt this stay was flawless. We had no issues with the staff, food, accommodation or location. I am so pleased we decided to stay there and will definitely be returning over Christmas for the next family visit – hopefully the Black Horse will be prepared for another family meal. My mother has already informed me she wants one of them yummy steaks again really soon!

2  Thank LAMSB295
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My partner and I recently stayed here. At first we thought it really was quite a pleasant little inn but we soon changed our minds. As it is a pub, we decided to eat there on our first night. This was a big mistake. I have to say this was probably the worst food I've eaten in a long time. To add insult to injury it certainly wasn't cheap. I am sure the oil for the chips hadn't been changed in a while, and the rest of the food probably was microwaved! The prices were extortionate for the quality of the food - good pub grub can charge that much, not this stuff. To add to the awful food was the awful service. The waitress was new and had clearly had no training whatsoever. She had no clue about the selection of beers, didn't offer to go and find out so that we had to leave our table to look for ourselves. She then managed to completely disappear at the end of our meal. Our stay probably wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't cost so much. When we went to check-out we were charged £15 more a night than we had been quoted. Their argument for this price was that it was their busiest time of year - If so then why were there several empty rooms?! For this price I would expect room refreshments to have been of better quality or at least replenished every day (which they weren't). All in all it was a rather disappointing stay. Breakfast was its saving grace which was a slight improvement on our disastrous dinner.

2  Thank katykatekatekate
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The Black Horse was a very nice place to stay. Very friendly staff, nice food, clean and comfortable rooms. A good place to stay if you are going to Newmarket races. £10 taxi each way. I can highly recommend The Black Horse Inn. Mark Green.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank greenoss
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Very friendly staff...good food and good accommodation . If you are attending the Type two Detectives Boot camp it's only a 5 min drive away and hotel gives you a discount!! So close to a bar, we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 8 in Newmarket
Travelodge Barton Mills
Travelodge Barton Mills
#2 of 2 in Barton Mills

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!