“Very disappointed”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I arranged a spa afternoon here for my sisters birthday and felt completely let down. I initially booked Aldwark Manor as it looked stunning and I thought the service would be of a high standard. On arrival to the spa reception we advised that we had the discovery package booked but also wanted to know if there was availability to book additional treatments and it seemed like it was an inconvenience. After finally sorting out the treatments four of the party went off for facials and massages. One of the facials took less than 15 minutes when we were told that it would be for 30 minutes. I had booked in for a nail polish for hands and feet and sat by the pool waiting for the time to go to mine. One of the staff came into get me at a time which I don't believe was booked for me and then the beautician told me that we would have to hurry up as she was running late and had someone else booked in. I was rushed to pick a colour and to be honest, I could have just done them myself as the standard was poor, the paint was smudged and it lasted 10 minutes! To be fair the feet were better than the hands and done by another beautician. We expected the cost of the treatments as that seemed pretty standard but for the length of time and quality of treatment/service, I would never gave booked there if I'd gave known how poor it was going to be, it was the worst part of our weekend and would not recommend it as I don't believe the beauticians are of a fully trained class.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Emily K

I was disappointed to read your comments following on from your spa visit.

If possible can you please e mail me with you contact details to pbeswick@qhotels.co.uk and we can arrange a convenient time to discuss your comments.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We spent 4 pleasant nights here. It is a golfing hotel and although we are non golfers, we found the hotel to be a very restful place to be. Service good, room excellent, spa and gym excellent. The only area where some improvement would greatly increase the desirability and profitability of the hotel, is the food! Service in the restaurant is good, but the menu is limited in choice and the food passable although the soufflé is good. The breakfast is unfortunately extremely poor in content, quality and presentation. A thorough review of this offering will be most welcome! Having said that, I would come again as I believe that this is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Character rooms excellent, especially 205
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Alan60ht

I was disappointed to read some of your comments following on from your 4 night stay with us at Aldwark Manor.

I will be discussing your comments regarding breakfast and the quality of the food that you received with the Chef.

I am pleased that you will be visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Booked in for afternoon tea on Mother's Day. Lovely afternoon, delicious food and excellent service. Beautiful hotel in delightful surroundings. Well worth a visit; looking forward to our next visit already!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nottmdeb

Dear Nottmdeb

Thank you for your review following on from your visit on Mothers Day for Afternoon Tea

I will pass on your comments to the chefs regarding the delicious food that you had and to the team that looked after you on the day.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Went to this hotel after booking a spa day with lunch for part of my daughters18th birthday treat. not impressed! firstly at the spa reception, the girl didn't have a clue about the deal even though l had printed the deal off the computer prior to coming. l had to read the deal to her as she was clueless about it all. Also, even though the advert said robes and slippers we had to ask for these, then the steam room was not working, the changing room showers dirty, basic facilities, not plush for a proper spa. In general, the spa was not up to the 4 stars awarded. Thereafter we went on to lunch, we were not greeted by anybody, we were left standing waiting to be seated. After a little while a gentleman arrived and told us there was a conference on and we were to join them during their lunch. This shocked us as we did not pay to join a conference lunch! After being seated, we noticed the table was dirty, a jug of water was slammed onto the table and nobody bothered to take our drinks order. Accepting this, we went up to get some food, it was pasta and various other things. The dishes were nearly empty and the sauces were stone cold! Two of us refused to eat this and complained to what we presumed was the restaurant manager. He apologized and turned up the hot plate. Also the food that was laid out there was no description saying what was in the dishes. It looked liked the food had been lying out for some time.
And some if the dishes were empty. We felt that we were eating what was left from the corporate event.
My daughter is involved with events management and made us aware that this treatment was far from acceptable. This will be sent on to the company that advised myself and my party that this venue is not appropriate for spa days and spa deals and soured my daughters birthday treat. Disappointed

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear dab976

I was disappointed to read your recent review following on from your visit.

Can I ask that you contact me on pbeswick@qhotels.co.uk with your contact details as I would like to discuss your feedback with you.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We attended a wedding at the hotel, and decided to have a room for the night as well - when pre-booked with the wedding you could pay half as a deposit and half on the day, which was handy as its not budget prices.

The grounds of the hotel are great, surrounded by a golf course in the middle of open fields, perfect for a wedding weekend.

The wedding ceremony was in the older part of the hotel. The food was first class, as well as the service.

After checking in to the room we moved to the night do, which was held in the newer side of the hotel with a big conference room to facilitate all the guests, and the bar was well manned.

The bedroom was of a high standard with fantastic views of the golf course. Very clean and quiet.

The breakfast was good, service all day was brilliant and parking was free and easy.

All in all, a lovely hotel - perfect for a wedding.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonesg02

Dear Jonesg02

Thank you for recent review that you have written after you attended a wedding at the Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the day and that you thought the hotel was a great venue for a wedding. We have great suites and grounds that can make the wedding day a unique experience.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Great weekend, staff very friendly, room spacious and a place that appears larger than it is......capturing a small hotel with good standards and a personal touch. Will return. Toll bridge on route to hotel just sets the tone for the stay....relaxing, enchanting and a breath of fresh air.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Notsakc

Dear Notsakc

I was pleased to read your review following on from your “lovely weekend” at Aldwark Manor.

The toll bridge is unique and the 40p charge is a great way to cross the river.

When you are ready to return please visit the QHotels website for the latest offers.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My sister and I spent 3 nights at Aldwark Manor, where I had stayed previously with my husband.
The room was a good size and clean and well presented and a problem with the bathroom door was sorted whilst we had breakfast. The food was good with plenty of choice and my only complaint was that there were no tongs for the toast. The staff were all very helpful and considerate in particular Kasha and Harry on Reception and phil and Hanna in the Dining room. Also e lady from Cumbria whose name I can't remember.
The spa facilities are also very good.

Room Tip: Take the advice of the staff they know what they are talking about
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Paul B, Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Janis J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review after your recent visit to Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa.

I was pleased to read your comments and I will pass these on to them and I am pleased that we managed to sort out the issue with the bathroom door quickly.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future

Regards

Paul Beswick

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
The Grand Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Boroughbridge
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!