“Ridiculous price for an uncomfortable and disappointing stay”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Guildford
“Ridiculous price for an uncomfortable and disappointing stay”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Came to this hotel for a family wedding in the area. Knew the price was high but decided as a family to spend the money and enjoy our time here in a luxurious hotel. Extremely disappointed at the service, rooms and especially the cleanliness!!! Flies and spiders all over the hallway, bedrooms not up to standards- sofa bed horribly uncomfortable and even normal beds old and very used!! Was told we would be considered a cheaper rate as many of our friends and family were staying here, however apparently this is something they never do! Therefore a false promise was made, and then no apology when it turned out to be wrong. After speaking with the manager who was not very helpful we were offered 20% off which although again we didn't feel was enough, we agreed to. Went to the desk to pay and then realised they had only taken 10% off.... again we had to speak to the manager.
Would never recommend this hotel to anyone unless you want to pay an extreme amount for a stay more tragic than a bedsit.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank annaaarachel
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Annaaarachel

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following on from your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you feel your stay was disappointing. We do offer advanced discounted rates which are all subject to availability at the time of booking. We also offer a further discount rate on rooms that are booked for weddings held within the hotel and I believe this is where confusion has arisen from as we have listened to a playback of your call and there was no mention of extra discount on offer.

Thank you again for taking to the time to provide feedback to us. We do take all feedback seriously and endeavour to ensure that all our guests have a wonderful experience at the hotel.

Regards

Paul Beswick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Leeds
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Had a great spa day at Aldwark Manor yesterday to celebrate a friends 40th. Excellent value and friendly staff. We were on a two for £99 deal to include facial and lunch.Had the best ever facial by Caroline. Would definitely return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Stuart S

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following on from your spa day with.

I will be passing on your comments to Caroline who is one of our most experienced therapist and we look forward to welcoming you back inn the future

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just had 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast in the Aldwark Manor and wanted to say how much my wife and I enjoyed our stay. Location, accommodation, catering and all the staff were simply excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Suites in the old part of the hotel overlooking the golf course are lovely rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Johnben2008
Dear Johnben2008

Following on from your “Excellent Experience” with us at Aldwark Manor can I thank you for your great review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

When you are ready to return please visit the QHotels website for the latest offers,

Knaresborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Booked hotel for a customer and went to join him for dinner tonight. Very disappointing food. Menu looks good but is pricy. Far too heavy on the salt. Dirty plates and cutlery. Melamine peeling off the tables. Runny chicken liver parfait! Poor bread. Chips lack lustre and undercooked. Very slow and disinterested service. Wine list very expensive and bottle of Rioja blanco at £26 was of a quality I would expect to pay sub £10 for.
Area around the ladies toilets is disgustingly dirty. There is no pride in this hotel at all. Avoid.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Samantha M
Dear Samantha M

I was disappointed to read your review following on from your dinner with your customer.

At Aldwark Manor we do pride ourselves on the quality of food that we serve and I can assure you that I will be discussing your comments with the head chef as these are not indicative of our usual standards.

I have already spoken with the housekeeping team regarding your comments about cleanliness and action has already been taken.

Guisborough
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our overnight stay and spa treatment at Aldwark Manor was enjoyed by my two daughters and myself. We arrived at the hotel on Sunday afternoon to an efficent and friendly check in service. We were told that the hotel had tried to get in touch with us as one of the therapists had had an accident and couldn't do our treatments on that day. We didn't mind as the following day would be just as good for us and this was arranged. They even arranged for lunch the next day to be extended for us if necessary and said because of our understanding a complimentary bottle of wine would be sent to our room! We couldn't have our treatments at the same time but that was out of their control and we did book them two together and one shortly after.

The room was for three, a bed settee being the third bed which I understand could of been a bit more comfortable but the ordinary beds were fine. The room was very clean and I appreciated the complimentary tea and coffee making facilities on our arrival.

We decided to sit in sun for a while so went to the lounge to order a drink when the waiter told us that he had a complimentary bottle of wine for us and we decided to take outside.

The evening meal was excellent and I would throughly recommend it.

Breakfast was also good with the food trays being filled when they were empty.

After a buffet breakfast we were given our robes and made our way to the changing rooms which were clean and had showers, hairdryers etc. We waited in the spa lounge where our therapists came and found us. The treatments lasted about 60 mins and I was suprised at how quickly the time went and how relaxed I felt. While two of us had our treatments my other daughter exercised in the gym which she mentioned was better than she expected. We used all the amenities in the spa and enjoyed each of them.

A buffet lunch was served in the restaurant which again was exceptional.

All in all we had a lovely time and my daughters and myselft wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Aldwark Manor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pammy013
Dear Pammy013

I was pleased to read your recent review following on from your recent spa break with us.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience with changing your treatment times due to the therapist’s accident.

I will pass on your positive comments to the chef regarding the dinner and lunch and to the spa team that looked after you.

I thank you for the recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aldwark Manor in the future,

Brigg, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here several years ago. we returned recently and cannot fault the stay. the room was a large king and was very clean and in good condition. the view across the golf course and beyond was calming. breakfast was a little limited compared to other hotels that we have stayed in but all items were fresh and tasted good. We ate in the restaurant on the night before. This had been a rather disappointing experience on our last stay - portions very small, expensive and more designed to be artistic than gastronomic. However, this time, the food was excellent - larger portions, well presented. Service was friendly and efficient. The only slightly minus experience was from a group of golfers staying the weekend in the hotel, They walked from the leisure complex through the hotel in their bare feet and one attended breakfast with bare feet. I have no problem with casual dress in any hotel, but uncovered feet in an area where people are eating is both unhygienic and discourteous to other guests. When the point was raised with reception, they seemed surprised and rather reluctant to contemplate what they could do. This apart, I would certainly return especially if air conditioning is installed as from experience, rooms on the higher floors can get rather warm.

Room Tip: Rooms to the golf course side may be quieter if away from the outdoor seating area of both the loung...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear WilliamWrawby

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following on from your second visit to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa.

I was pleased to read your comments regarding some of the improvements since your last visit especially the comments regarding the food quality, efficient service and bedroom cleanliness and I will be passing on your comments to the relevant departmental managers.

I will be discussing with the Restaurant team the appropriate dress for the restaurant and to ensure that this is enforced on a daily basis.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope that we do get the opportunity to see you at Aldwark Manor in the future for your third visit.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our spa break turned out to be rather a disappointment. First, the room: the hair-dryer overheated after less than a minute, the trouser press did not work and the TV had no picture when we turned it on for the second time - we rang down to reception and were told that it was a common fault and to turn it off at the wall, leave it and turn it back on after a couple of minutes. If that was a known fault why was it not advertised to guests in the room what to do? The room itself was no different to a Holiday Inn room, but vastly over-priced in comparison to a Holiday Inn. Furthermore we had to sleep with the window shut due to the noise from a fan - presumably air conditioning or similar - in another part of the hotel that the window opened above; this made it warm and uncomfortable at night.
Next, the hotel itself - had no atmosphere. There was no background music in any of the lounges, which did not make them very inviting.
The food in the restaurant was excellent so compliments to the chef, and the table service was very good too, so no complaints there.
Finally, the spa - the reason for us picking that hotel as it was a spa break we had booked. This was very nice, although the ladies changing rooms were small, and untidy due to the fact that there were insufficient lockers and therefore people had to leave things lying around the room. The main disappointment came on the Sunday when we arrived for the treatments that we had booked - my husband a 50 minute appointment and myself 2 x 25 minutes. We were told that one of the therapists had been in a car crash and was not able to get in - fair enough and I expressed my sympathy - so our treatments had been cut to 25 minutes for each of us, however all we were offered was an apology. I had to ask whether we would be offered any sort of a refund and even then was told that they would have to talk to the manager and would email me. I hasten to add that I have heard nothing from them yet. To add to this we then went through to the pool to find that the jacuzzi was out of order - most unsatisfactory.
We found the whole weekend to be vastly overpriced for what we received and would not return to this hotel or recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Ask for an older room because if you get put in the newer part of the hotel you might as well just g...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
DearJayGee1969

Following on from your recent stay at the hotel firstly please let me apologise for the experience that you had with us and the fact that no one has been in contact with you as you had requested.

If possible can you please provide me with you contact details as I would like to discuss your feedback personally? If you could e-mail them to me at Pbeswick@qhotels.co.uk and we can arrange a convenient time for me to contact you.

I look forward to receiving your e-mail,

Paul Beswick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds
York Marriott Hotel

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!