“Weekend Break For Family Wedding”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break For Family Wedding”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We recently stayed for a family wedding. Our room was lovely and clean. There was some noise from a wedding on our first night but was no louder than expected (and I'm sure we were just as loud when we attended our family wedding). The hotel itself was very clean and modern. The pool and jacuzzi etc was lovely. The golf course looked very well maintained. The breakfast was ok but the toaster wasn't really functioning unless you wanted to wait a LONG time for toast. On one morning it was smoking a lot. But we have no complaints about the breakfast (a help yourself continental and hot buffet) however some of our family members were unable to have breakfast on one morning as they ran out. I believe that this was dealt with by the hotel when pointed out. All in all, I would recommend this hotel as a lovely peaceful break. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Stacey S

I was pleased to read your positive comments following on from the family wedding that you attended at the Hotel.

I will ask maintenance to look at the toasters to make sure that they are operating correctly and the issue was rectified with regards to food.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope to welcome you back to Aldwark Manor soon.

Paul Beswick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just returned from a very enjoyable 2-night stay at Aldwark Manor with my wife and our dog. The hotel is located in the beautiful village of Aldwark, surrounded by a golf course, and very close to the river Ure.

First impressions were excellent, the hotel grounds are kept immaculate, and the manor itself is full of character. Check-in was very smooth, very friendly reception staff, and an offer of help to our rooms with the luggage. We were told that our dog was welcome in all areas of the hotel except the restaurant.

Our room was located in the older part of the hotel on the 4th floor, and was extremely large. Although clean and comfortable, the room was in need of an update, and a few touches are needed to bring it up the standard expected of a 4-star hotel. For example, it rained quite heavily during the night and the rain found its way into the room behind the chest of drawers, and soaked the carpet. I moved the drawers to find a hole in the wall, and it seemed the drawers were conveniently put there to hide it. In addition, there were water marks and cracks on the ceiling above the door. Although clean, the bathroom was very tired, and in desperate need of an upgrade. The shower was either very hot, or freezing cold, with very poor pressure sometimes, and the shower screen allowed water to pass behind it, flooding the bathroom floor. Having said that, it is an old building and with that you can expect some problems, but some investment is needed to upgrade the room.

On our first morning, as we had our dog with us and did not want to leave her in the room, we asked if we could sit outside on the terrace for breakfast, and we were told this was not a problem, however if we preferred, we could sit in the bar instead. The waitress (sorry, did not catch the name) could not be more accommodating, setting a table for us and bring our tea/coffee, and taking some time to tell us about the local walks in the area. Breakfast was excellent, a choice of continental or full english (or both!).

We did not try the hotel restaurant for dinner, instead we took a short walk to the nearby Aldwark Arms, which I will review separately.

The hotel has two bars, however the confusingly named Terrace Bar (with no terrace) seemed to be closed both times we went in so we enjoyed drinks in the Squadron Bar (with terrace), and when the sun eventually made an appearance, we sat on the terrace overlooking the golf course, which was very nice, but we had to clear ourselves a table as all of the others, although unoccupied, had empty glasses and full ash trays. I also had to pick up a broken glass from under the table. During the hour or so we were there, nobody came to clear the tables.

The spa facilities were just ok, again they are in need of an upgrade, and during our stay the steam room was out of order. Also, there was a broken light in the sauna and it just gives the wrong impression. However, I thought the pool was very nice, and unlike some reviews, I thought the temperature of the water was just perfect and I had an enjoyable swim. Please note however, the pool is unattended.

Although the hotel has its problems, we did still enjoy our stay very much, and we will probably return. That is thanks to the hard working, very accommodating, exceptional staff. But I can't help get the feeling that the hotel is trying to save money by under-staffing as they are too stretched to deal with the number of guests, and basic guest needs and hotel maintenance is not being carried out.

Also, as a dog owner, a suggestion would be for guests with dogs to occupy lower floor rooms. In addition, there are no dog-waste bins in the hotel grounds, and this is a basic "must have" for a dog friendly hotel. I had to walk to the village to find the nearest bin. Also, you have a great dog walk on your door step, starting outside of the hotel entrance, the "Aldwark Ramble", please print some leaflets and hand these out to guests with dogs. It is a reason why people may visit your hotel, but I don't even see it mentioned on your websites "Things to do" section. It's a real shame.

Other points to note. The hotel has free wifi, and although not very quick, it is adequate.

Overall, I will return, because we had a wonderful time, only let down a little by the things already mentioned. Please invest some money in this hotel, it has tremendous potential to be one of the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new section of the hotel.
Dear bramble08

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review following on from your recent stay with us.

I have discussed your comment with the relevant departmental manager and they have all taken your comments on board and let me assure you that we will be making some changes to the shower in the bathroom and maintenance have repaired the damaged wall. The Reception team do have the walks printed out they out and available on request.

I will pass on your complements to the breakfast team regarding the service and the food quality.

Guest feedback is the best way for us to find out what we are doing well and what we need to change so once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aldwark Manor in the near future.

Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lovely spa, lovely, pleasant staff, nice pool, lovely rooms. The food is excellent, even the lunchtime buffet was really very high quality and the desserts were delightful. The building and grounds are beautiful and very well kept. My massage was lovely and I recommend the relaxation room as a peaceful place to chill out. Really handy for York and Harrogate. My only quibble was that there was a wedding going on and things were a bit noisy(understandably) with guests talking loudly under our window until well after 12.00. Maybe the hotel could give a bit more thought to containing that.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Deborah N

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following on from your “peaceful getaway”.

I will be passing on your comments to the team and I can assure you that the hotel night team do monitor the noise and do remind guests that we are a hotel and that other guests may be sleeping.

Despite the setback I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here overnight en-route to a dear friend's funeral. We chose the dinner, bed and breakfast offer in a king sized bedded room. We had a really pleasant, peaceful stay and cannot recommend this hotel enough. The staff were, without exception, charming friendly and professional. Mainly young, they had been very well trained and couldn't do enough to help. Our room was excellent and overlooked the golf course, so was very quiet. We enjoyed a quiet drink on the terrace and watched the last golfers returning from the course. My husband, a keen golfer, was quite envious and plans a return trip with his clubs! Dinner was exceptional - delicious, quite adventurous choices and service was first class. We were sorry not to be staying longer at this delightful hotel. The manager is doing a fantastic job here and the staff are a credit to him/her. Thank you very much for a very pleasant stay. (And such good value too!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear 55Teddy

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review after your nights stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed every part of your visit to us and the fact that your husband got to watch the last golfers returning while having a nice drink on the terrace and next time he will be bringing his clubs.

I will pass on your comments to the team and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

newcastle
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Lovely location for a trip to York, Harrogate, etc., This was a Travelzoo offer for two nights and it did not disappoint. The room was spacious, clean and with good views across the golf course. We had dinner on the first night - with good choice of meals. All three courses were well presented and delicious. We did hear two other couples complain about the time between courses but we could not fault it. Dining is not a race!!
Breakfast was reasonable (not up to the standard of the previous night) and hot food was a little sad - particularly the fried eggs which were inedible having sat for some time. We did experience the issue of being unable to switch on the TV (commented on by an earlier reviewer) and agree that a note in the room explaining how to switch it on would have been helpful.

Dear Sib 1007

I was pleased to read your review following on from your recent stay with us.

I will be discussing your comments with the Operations Manager regarding the TV’s and the quality of the fried eggs so thank you for your comments as guest feedback is very important to us.

Thank you for your comments regarding dinner and I agree with you that dinner is not a race and is there as an experience.

I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to Aldwark Manor in the near future

Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed 3 nights here including breakfast and evening meal.
The room was clean, well appointed and gave us a great view of the golf course and the surrounding countryside.
Bathroom was good with a good shower.
We found the hotel staff to be pleasant and keen to assist whenever needed.
The breakfast is a buffet type which was Ok, I personally found the eggs a little over done, but the staff were attentive and continually monitored the stations so it was unlikely that anything would ever run out.
Evening meals were good, my wife and I had different meals each night with varying levels of satisfaction but generally the food was good. 2 points for the hotel on this;
1. Tomato and Mozzarella starter is poor, there was hardly any Mozzarella and the tomatoes were average.
2. The 'Soup of the Day' for the 3 evenings we stayed was the same each night, this is poor and shows a lack of desire to please in my opinion. Surely left over soup could be offered at lunch in the bar or even as the soup of the day for the bar meals the following evening.

Our room overlooked the terrace of the bar at the back of the hotel and we were disappointed to wake the first morning to see that the terrace had not been cleared of empty glasses, plates of part finished food were still out and napkins were blowing around. We raised this with the manager that week (the actual manager was on holiday) and to be fair he accepted the feedback graciously and assured us it wouldn't happen again. The following 2 mornings the terrace was clear so it appeared that our feedback was acted upon which was good to see.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would certainly return, the staff help to make this hotel a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel would probably be quitter during the evenings as they are away from...
Dear ChrisM239

Thank you for taking the time to place your review following on from your three night stay with us.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the starter and the soup and I have discussed these with the head chef and he has assured me that he will be discussing these with his brigade.

I have also spoken with the late bar team and the night team to ensure that the patio area is cleared and that this is on the shift procedure.

Despite the setbacks I am pleased that you will return to us in the future,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here for a couples few days mid week.
The hotel is old and grand but very nice.
Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we went to the spa. The pool, jacuzzi and walk ways weren't as clean as I had expected them to be.
When we were shown to our room it was again old fashioned, especially the bathroom. This was clean!
The lunch and dinner was fantastic.
The spa treatments were also excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Harri R

I was pleased to read your review following on from your recent visit to Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa Hotel.

I will be passing on your positive comments to the food and beverage team at the Hotel and I have discussed your comment regarding the cleanliness of the leisure club and the Manager has already put new cleaning procedure in place.

When you are ready to return please visit the QHotels website for the latest offers,

Paul Beswick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 86 in Leeds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,149 reviews
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!