“Well worth a visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Aldwark Manor on 2 occasions in the same week around visiting family who live nearby.
On the second occasion we upgraded to a Q star room and this was well worth the extra money, however both rooms were good. The first, in the modern part of the hotel, had fab views over the golf course. The second, in the original building was big and full of character; as an upgraded room it also had extras such as dressing gowns and a fridge stocked with a small selection of complimentary drinks. Both rooms would have benefited from air con as the weather was warm.
The staff were, without exception, great.
Food is very good. I know dining isn't a race, but there is sometimes an issue getting meals out to customers in a reasonable time. There were always lots of waiting staff so the problem must be in the kitchen. We waited nearly an hour on 2 out of 3 occasions for our first plate of food. Breakfast is fine, but staff need to be more proactive in restocking the buffet rather than waiting until things have run out and they've got a queue of tetchy customers at the hot servery!
We had a pleasant round of golf. As a previous reviewer said, it is a bit tight in places but very picturesque.
Definitely more good than bad and we will return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear sootie11

I was pleased to read your review after your stays with us.

The QStar rooms are worth the extra supplement and the rooms as you said are bigger and have the extra touches in there.

I agree that dinner is not a race but I will discuss your comments with the Food and Beverage team and the Operations Manager to see what the issues were when you stayed with us.

The golf course is very picturesque and has some great shots along the river and the 18th over the pond.

I look forward to welcoming you back and when you are ready to return please visit the QHotels website for the latest offers,

Paul Beswick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Doncaster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here for one night. Upon arrival we were told that we had been upgraded to a room with a balcony over looking the golf course and there was wine and a bottle of larger waiting for us in our room which was a pleasant surprise.
The room was quite large and well appointed with too arm chairs and very large and comfy bed. The bathroom was clinically clean with a large walk in shower and separate bath.
We had drinks in the spitfire bar on the terrace outside which was lovely (although the garden furniture is starting to look a little tired) as you get a great view off all the planes flying about from the nearby air field.
The breakfast let the hotel down a little as the selection is not the best, the scrambled eggs were tasteless and there was no black pudding the bacon was also very dry. The continental selection was fine though and the pans au chocolate were wonderful and still warm.
All in all we had a great stay every member of staff we came in contact with were attentive and friendly. The only let down seems to be that the owners need to spend a bit more money on the general upkeep.

Dear Kommensiebitte

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following on from your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade to one of our QStar rooms. The terrace furniture is treated and stained but it has seen some bad weather so far this year but I will ask the maintenance team to look over it and see what they can do.

I will be discussing your breakfast comments regarding breakfast with the Head Chef.

Once again thank you for your feedback I and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Aldwark Manor in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was a little tired in terms of its decoration and cleanliness. The manager appeared to be very hard working and always around during meal times and organised functions though attention to details from the rest of the staff such as window cleaning, decoration, and more 'touchy-feely' things appeared lacking. The hotel gives the impression it requires better funding. The trouser press did not work in our room (although we did not raise this problem with the staff), there was two large wasp/bee nests on the property (one in the chimney above reception, one in the building eaves to the right of reception), the hotel appeared to have more bars than could be serviced efficiently, the main breakfast choices were limited for what I would expect of a hotel of this stature, the kitchen has very noisy (seemingly unattenuated) extract system that can cause disturbance to the adjacent rooms (particularly if the windows need to be opened).
The location is good if you want to be outside of the city (north side) and the mature wooded grounds are very picturesque.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Paulmatson

Thank you for your review after your weekend visit to us at Aldwark Manor

The nests that you mentioned are Mortar Bees and these are a protected bee that have a sting but they can not pierce human skin so they are no threat. We have bars for all occasions but they are only open when we have the need to especially the Terrace Bar (this is the Golf Bar).

Once again thank you for your feedback and when you are ready to return please visit the QHotels website for the latest offers,

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We recently stayed for a family wedding. Our room was lovely and clean. There was some noise from a wedding on our first night but was no louder than expected (and I'm sure we were just as loud when we attended our family wedding). The hotel itself was very clean and modern. The pool and jacuzzi etc was lovely. The golf course looked very well maintained. The breakfast was ok but the toaster wasn't really functioning unless you wanted to wait a LONG time for toast. On one morning it was smoking a lot. But we have no complaints about the breakfast (a help yourself continental and hot buffet) however some of our family members were unable to have breakfast on one morning as they ran out. I believe that this was dealt with by the hotel when pointed out. All in all, I would recommend this hotel as a lovely peaceful break. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Dear Stacey S

I was pleased to read your positive comments following on from the family wedding that you attended at the Hotel.

I will ask maintenance to look at the toasters to make sure that they are operating correctly and the issue was rectified with regards to food.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope to welcome you back to Aldwark Manor soon.

Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just returned from a very enjoyable 2-night stay at Aldwark Manor with my wife and our dog. The hotel is located in the beautiful village of Aldwark, surrounded by a golf course, and very close to the river Ure.

First impressions were excellent, the hotel grounds are kept immaculate, and the manor itself is full of character. Check-in was very smooth, very friendly reception staff, and an offer of help to our rooms with the luggage. We were told that our dog was welcome in all areas of the hotel except the restaurant.

Our room was located in the older part of the hotel on the 4th floor, and was extremely large. Although clean and comfortable, the room was in need of an update, and a few touches are needed to bring it up the standard expected of a 4-star hotel. For example, it rained quite heavily during the night and the rain found its way into the room behind the chest of drawers, and soaked the carpet. I moved the drawers to find a hole in the wall, and it seemed the drawers were conveniently put there to hide it. In addition, there were water marks and cracks on the ceiling above the door. Although clean, the bathroom was very tired, and in desperate need of an upgrade. The shower was either very hot, or freezing cold, with very poor pressure sometimes, and the shower screen allowed water to pass behind it, flooding the bathroom floor. Having said that, it is an old building and with that you can expect some problems, but some investment is needed to upgrade the room.

On our first morning, as we had our dog with us and did not want to leave her in the room, we asked if we could sit outside on the terrace for breakfast, and we were told this was not a problem, however if we preferred, we could sit in the bar instead. The waitress (sorry, did not catch the name) could not be more accommodating, setting a table for us and bring our tea/coffee, and taking some time to tell us about the local walks in the area. Breakfast was excellent, a choice of continental or full english (or both!).

We did not try the hotel restaurant for dinner, instead we took a short walk to the nearby Aldwark Arms, which I will review separately.

The hotel has two bars, however the confusingly named Terrace Bar (with no terrace) seemed to be closed both times we went in so we enjoyed drinks in the Squadron Bar (with terrace), and when the sun eventually made an appearance, we sat on the terrace overlooking the golf course, which was very nice, but we had to clear ourselves a table as all of the others, although unoccupied, had empty glasses and full ash trays. I also had to pick up a broken glass from under the table. During the hour or so we were there, nobody came to clear the tables.

The spa facilities were just ok, again they are in need of an upgrade, and during our stay the steam room was out of order. Also, there was a broken light in the sauna and it just gives the wrong impression. However, I thought the pool was very nice, and unlike some reviews, I thought the temperature of the water was just perfect and I had an enjoyable swim. Please note however, the pool is unattended.

Although the hotel has its problems, we did still enjoy our stay very much, and we will probably return. That is thanks to the hard working, very accommodating, exceptional staff. But I can't help get the feeling that the hotel is trying to save money by under-staffing as they are too stretched to deal with the number of guests, and basic guest needs and hotel maintenance is not being carried out.

Also, as a dog owner, a suggestion would be for guests with dogs to occupy lower floor rooms. In addition, there are no dog-waste bins in the hotel grounds, and this is a basic "must have" for a dog friendly hotel. I had to walk to the village to find the nearest bin. Also, you have a great dog walk on your door step, starting outside of the hotel entrance, the "Aldwark Ramble", please print some leaflets and hand these out to guests with dogs. It is a reason why people may visit your hotel, but I don't even see it mentioned on your websites "Things to do" section. It's a real shame.

Other points to note. The hotel has free wifi, and although not very quick, it is adequate.

Overall, I will return, because we had a wonderful time, only let down a little by the things already mentioned. Please invest some money in this hotel, it has tremendous potential to be one of the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new section of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Dear bramble08

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review following on from your recent stay with us.

I have discussed your comment with the relevant departmental manager and they have all taken your comments on board and let me assure you that we will be making some changes to the shower in the bathroom and maintenance have repaired the damaged wall. The Reception team do have the walks printed out they out and available on request.

I will pass on your complements to the breakfast team regarding the service and the food quality.

Guest feedback is the best way for us to find out what we are doing well and what we need to change so once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aldwark Manor in the near future.

Regards

Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lovely spa, lovely, pleasant staff, nice pool, lovely rooms. The food is excellent, even the lunchtime buffet was really very high quality and the desserts were delightful. The building and grounds are beautiful and very well kept. My massage was lovely and I recommend the relaxation room as a peaceful place to chill out. Really handy for York and Harrogate. My only quibble was that there was a wedding going on and things were a bit noisy(understandably) with guests talking loudly under our window until well after 12.00. Maybe the hotel could give a bit more thought to containing that.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Dear Deborah N

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following on from your “peaceful getaway”.

I will be passing on your comments to the team and I can assure you that the hotel night team do monitor the noise and do remind guests that we are a hotel and that other guests may be sleeping.

Despite the setback I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here overnight en-route to a dear friend's funeral. We chose the dinner, bed and breakfast offer in a king sized bedded room. We had a really pleasant, peaceful stay and cannot recommend this hotel enough. The staff were, without exception, charming friendly and professional. Mainly young, they had been very well trained and couldn't do enough to help. Our room was excellent and overlooked the golf course, so was very quiet. We enjoyed a quiet drink on the terrace and watched the last golfers returning from the course. My husband, a keen golfer, was quite envious and plans a return trip with his clubs! Dinner was exceptional - delicious, quite adventurous choices and service was first class. We were sorry not to be staying longer at this delightful hotel. The manager is doing a fantastic job here and the staff are a credit to him/her. Thank you very much for a very pleasant stay. (And such good value too!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear 55Teddy

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review after your nights stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed every part of your visit to us and the fact that your husband got to watch the last golfers returning while having a nice drink on the terrace and next time he will be bringing his clubs.

I will pass on your comments to the team and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Paul Beswick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Queens - Leeds
#10 of 87 in Leeds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,047 reviews
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!