“Grim, don't bother booking!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aldwark Manor Spa

Aldwark Manor Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Aldwark
More attraction details
Owner description: If you are looking for a relaxing spa break, spa day or spa treatment in North Yorkshire, the team at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel is skilled in the art of relaxation. From a soothing facial to the gentle easing of muscles with an all over body massage, the tranquility and calm encapsulated in our spa will ensure your body and mind are transported to a state of total well being. Our spa, which is home to a fabulous health club, 7 spa treatment rooms, a relaxation room, indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and a dedicated lounge for spa guests, is open seven days a week!
Ilkley, West Yorkshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Grim, don't bother booking!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

A friend and I booked a spa afternoon with a treatment each as a bit of a girly treat. The approach to the hotel itself looked lovely and we were quite excited by the time we got to the spa. However, our greeting by the spa receptionist was perfunctory at best and straight away payment for treatments was demanded, without any pleasantries or attempt at a friendly welcome. Undeterred, we made our way to the changing rooms, heading towards the pool, sauna & steam room where we intended to have some relaxation time before our treatments. The changing rooms were ok and passably clean, but definitely not modern or luxurious, generally a bit tired round the edges. On emerging into the pool area, we were amazed that there were only four loungers (all taken) and nowhere else to sit. The pool itself was partly cordoned off for children's swimming lessons which we didn't really expect to find at a day spa! We did a few lengths, feeling rather as though we were at a council run pool and then sampled the sauna and steam room, which were pretty much as expected but nothing spectacular. On returning to the reception area for our treatments, at exactly the allotted time, we were told by the same, joyless receptionist to take a seat only to be called immediately by our two therapists, who had been standing next to her. Not in the least friendly. I had booked a facial and I have never had a therapist as disinterested in the job as this one. No questions about skin type, areas of concern or current skin care programme - I was just taken to a room and left for what felt like ages (between 5 and 10 minutes) until the lady came back without apology and just got on with the job: no interest or conversation whatsoever. At the end, I was pointed towards stairs leading up to a boiling hot 'rest room' where I was told I would meet my friend. Indeed, she was already there and feeling like me that her treatment had been lack lustre and disappointing. Again, her therapist had said virtually nothing and her treatment had been finished before the stated time. We were just discussing our experiences, when the two ladies next to us said that they couldn't help but over-hear and felt the same about the treatments they'd just had for almost identical reasons: therapists just doing their job with little if any interest in their clients and as quickly as possible. We left knowing that we would not return as we had wasted money and precious time at a place where the so-called 'spa' is hardly that and where the staff apparently couldn't care less. I wish that I had heeded Trip Advisor reviews and not booked here in the first place.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank IlkleyTraveller2
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Spa, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Ilkely Traveller 2

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent visit to our spa.
I am extremely disappointed to read that your visit did not match up to your expectations on the day and I am deeply saddened to hear of your experience.
The spa is under new recent management and I would very much like to be able to take steps to rectify the problems you encountered.
If at all possible can you email the Leisure & Spa Manager with your contact details to tbeardsley@qhotels.co.uk and we can arrange a convenient time to discuss your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Spa Day - Complete let down!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Spa Day for 1 was a complete let down with spa treatment cut short, pool area grubby with lime scale building, dirty windows, ants and broken recliner chairs. Jacuzzi out of order. changing rooms were dirty with wet brown marks on floor, no toilet rolls in ladies toilets, no bags for wet swim suits. Lunch was of a very poor standard and staff didn't really seem to know what they were doing. The relaxation room was a let down with small narrow lie down chairs or beds with cushions that are actually placed on top of carpet making it rock hard to lie down on. dirty glasses were left lying around and no staff members were seen the entire day collecting glasses/tidying up. Really wish I had checked reviews for this spa before I booked as I would have went elsewhere. This 4* Spa does not meet standards that I would have expected and feel very let down with the day I spent here.

If you book to use the Spa at Aldwark Manor - you have been well warned!!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank M W
Dear M W

I am disappointed to read that your visit did not match up to your expectations on the day and I am saddened to hear of your experience.

Guisborough, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Pretty setting!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

This place was of a reasonably good standard. The spa was good but the massage was excellent.
The evening meal was to die for and we both rated the meal as one the best we have ever tasted.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Trev T
Dear Trev T

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look foward to welcoming you back in the future.

York, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Absolutely Filthy!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We went here on a spa day and thank goodness we were not spending the night! There are only seats for 4 people by the pool and yet we are expected to stay all day with nowhere to sit. There was a faulty sauna which was out of action for a couple of hours with no explanation and there was mould growing around the walls by the pool. There is a lovely view of the grounds but you can't see it for the unbelievably filthy windows. In the bar area there were crumbs on the floor when we arrived and they were still there when we left - with a few more added from the lunchtime crowd for good measure! A toddler left a toy car in the middle of the bar at lunchtime and it was still there at 4pm long after the family had gone. We ordered a burger for lunch and it was raw in the middle so we didn't eat it - having seen the dirty changing rooms I'm rather glad we didn't if the cleanliness of the kitchen is reflective of the rest of the areas we saw. Not even worth the £7 living social bargain price.

Visited March 2014
Dear familyinyorkshire

Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Terrible Service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

On arrival for our spa day we were told as we had booked through living social ( it was a present for my friend who I had gone with ) we were not allowed slippers or robes! I even offered to pay for hire of the robes ( which I could see folded up on the back wall ) but she said we could not have one as there were not enough. I just could not believe this to the start of our day. The girl then insisted that it was not her place to take orders for tea or coffee and that we had to wait for another member of staff.
Our lunch was awful. The salad leaves were brown. The tomatoes were soggy. There was a bone in my chicken sandwich and we had to wait 10 minutes for our horrible fries and tasteless mayonnaise. In the afternoon we decided to have a coffee and I asked for a biscuit but the guy said they did not have any. All he offered me was crisps. The pool area was okay but I found the toilets shabby. We felt we were treat like paupers as we had booked through living social. Had we known the treatment that we were going to experience we would never had gone. Considering that they had said they were full that day for treatments, it seemed to us that they were stood around talking on reception for the most part. A very disappointing, un-welcoming and poor quality experience all round. The manager of this place should be embarrassed and appalled. I would rather have my money back than be offered another day like that.

Visited April 2014