“A comfortable port in a storm”
Review of The Eight Bells

The Eight Bells
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Jevington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Kent, England
“A comfortable port in a storm”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Having come from Birling Gap on a particularly wet and blustery winters afternoon we were looking for somewhere warm, comfortable and uncomplicated for Saturday lunch. For that, this fitted the bill perfectly.
My wife had steak and mushroom pie which looked good and came with a particularly good choice of vegetables, I had fish and chips which was, well, what you'd expect it to be.
They have a good choice of well kept Sussex bitters and my wife who chose a glass of red wine was offered a choice of three from the bottle which we prefer to those taps on the bar offering red or white.
This is not a gastropub, and doesn't pretend to be, but is a comfortable watering hole which I'd happily visit again.

• Visited December 2012

eastbourne
“Soooooooooooooooo Disappointed”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We’ve been here many times before over the last 10 years & have always felt at home & very pleased with the food & prices.
We haven't been over the summer, gets a bit crowded with the walking brigade.
We went there last Sunday & what a disappointment.
The menu has shrunk from at least 8 starters, 10 mains & deserts to many to count to 3 starters, 6 mains & 6 deserts.
There were no steaks or grills just very bland pub grub.
The special board has gone & when we enquired they said”its Sunday we have roasts”
If we had wanted roasts we would have stayed at home.
The service was good & very friendly.
Prices seem to have gone through the roof.
Won’t go back there until there’s a change in management.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and lovely staff”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Lovely traditional country pub with a really cosy atmosphere. The food was delicious and the staff were welcoming and friendly. I had the Normandy chicken which was excellent and definitely recommended. I will be visiting again next time I am in the area!

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, friendly staff”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Today I had lunch at the Eight Bells with my sister and young daughter, the food was lovely. We had the Normandy Chicken which I can highly recommend, in fact I had to stop myself from licking the plate. My daughter had a ham sandwich, the ham was beautiful and came in very thinck slices. The staff were very friendly and attentive of not only myself but also my 3 year old daughter. The other customers were not only friendly, but also seemed just as happy to be there. We will definitely be going again

UK via France
“Good beer and lovely setting”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The Eight Bells has not changed for a long while and this is part of its appeal. It is cosy in the winterbut comes into its own in the summer as you can sit out. Friendly service. Didn't eat there this time but although not the cheapest, it is still good. The beer is excellent!

• Visited September 2012