Aquatika Beach Resort
  • Pool
All reviewsprivate beachel yunquethe penthousebeach volleyball courtparticular unitthe car rental placesan juanbunk bedsmin drivegated communitysand toysbedroom unitfull kitchenproperty managerthe beach is greatfamily vacationthird floor
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had a great owner/lessor (Cathy & Yamil) and I think this makes the difference between a great experience and a horrible experience. First, many of the people offering the rooms are NOT the owners, just more like agents. Cathy and Yamil were great, others I had spoken to were clearly out to make a buck. One claimed that he had the ONLY beachfront property and that was clearly not true and raised the price saying they were old prices yada yada. So I'll tell you about my experience WITH THESE GUYS ONLY.

We had unit #6702, pics were right on target and I always talk to my prospective owners and Cathy called immediately and said she only worked with units that she would have her family stay in. The unit was clean, we did not have any problems with bed bugs, the unit was relatively well maintained, had all of the things needed for a two week stay.

We had a baby, they had a pack and play ready for us, brought a high chair. We asked where we could rent rackets/clubs/etc., and the next day they were at our doorstep. Our refrigerator started having some defrosting issues--emailed Cathy and the next day she had a technician come by and fix it (she even stayed in the house while he was there, while we went to El Yunque). The power went out (as in most islands the grids are not as robust), I got a call, email saying she would keep us updated--no need, we just enjoyed the beachfront view!

The beach was great, there was nearly no one around so most times, it was just a private beach to ourselves. The pools were often all to ourselves. There was a pretty decent security presence. I would like to mention we were running late and we just showed up to our unit and within a few seconds a security guard was there when we looked suspicious trying to get in and got them from their unit when we told him what was happening.

Cathy & Yamil also have a unit on the premises which I think makes a huge difference. I think this was a wonderful vacation, but choosing the right people to trust is so important. This 5 star review is probably because of them--they made it work, they made it worthwhile.

Room Tip: Work with Cathy & Yamil. I think the penthouse suites are overrated if looking at "livable space".
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank N S
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here during Xmas week. We rented unit #5701 for two families. The way the numbering works is that the units ending in 1 are on the ground floor, 2 on the 2nd floor and 3 are the penthouse units. For the two families (total of 8 people) we felt that one of the penthouse units would have worked better. I believe the higher the first two numbers, the closer you are to the beach.

I can understand that there is going to be some variations from one unit to the other based on the owner. We rented ours through Alonso Realty. He sent his agent to pick one of the families up from the airport. There is no interaction with the agent other than the rental agreement and to pick up the keys.

The public areas were maintained well. We saw crews trimming the hedges, clearing the dead leaves, spraying (must be for mosquitoes). The pools are nice, and so is the hot tub. During the Xmas week, the club house got little use. We went there occasionally for a wi-fi connection, since our apartment did not have any.

We felt totally safe at this location, partly because it is a gated community. During Xmas week there were plenty of other families. All residents are required to wear a wristband to use the public areas (a way for them to ensure that only residents are using the facilities). We were comfortable walking around the property even late at night.

The area of Loiza that this community is located is a bit run down. As others have noted not many options on decent restaurants near by. We picked up cereals, milk etc. at the Wal-mart/Ralph's which is about 4 miles away. For some lunch/dinner we drove up the Ciosco in Luquilllo which is about a 15 minute drive. Plenty of options were available at Luquillo. Less than half an hour ride on the coastal road to the Isla Verde area of San Juan. We felt the location was convenient for our excursions (to El Yunque, Fajardo, Old San Juan, Luquillo beach etc.)

The beach behind the property is small. It is fine for a stroll, or a quick dip.
At night you do hear the coqui (the local frog).

2  Thank monkAustin
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We rented three units for the entire family. Among the 3 units we had everything we needed but any unit by itself was lacking. Worst unit was #4902, where I stayed. TV cable went on and off, air conditioning in master room was so loud that we could not use it, stove oven did not work and refrigerator freezer was defective. Obviously, unit owner doesn't care abt service. Rental agent responded to requests but nothing could be done. On the positive side, security was great and the common areas - gardens and pools - were in great shape.

2  Thank Luis M
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My family and I rented 3 of these condo units from Alonso Realty last week. We had units 2603, 6203 and 6102.

Since bed bug bites may not show up on the body until a few days later, none of us noticed anything wrong for a few days. On the third day, I noticed 2 or 3 bites around my ankles. Didn't think anything of if, could have been any kind of bite. But by the 4th day, my girlfriend and I had a combined total of 60 bites showing. I was sure they were bed bug bites b/c of experience. Six years ago, I had to deal with them at my house and let me tell you, it's horrible. I informed Mr. Alonso by text and his only response was "Wow, Sorry! We have exterminating service in the area." So I am sure he knew about this problem and didn't tell us. My gf and I were in 2603 and shared the unit with my sister's family of 4. My sister, brother in law and niece all had 10-20 bites each.

Four other families which consisted of my cousins, uncle, aunt and their kids shared the other 2 units. A few of them had 10-20 bites as well. All 3 units are infested. I just got it the worst. Everyone in my unit ended up leaving our unit early in fear of getting more bites by booking a hotel in San Juan until we departed.

I've been back for a day while writing this and I feel like my body is on fire from itching. My gf and I both now have over 50 bites each showing. In fear of bringing the bugs back, my sister's family and I have dumped all of our luggage outside in the freezing cold and plan to keep it there for a few days. We hope we don't bring them into our homes. This is not something you want to be tortured with when you go on vacation and spending thousands of dollars.

Other things about these rental units:

Location: Too far from everything. Takes 20 min to drive to the main road.
Beach: Not usable. Beach is not maintained.
Pools: Great. The kids loved it.
Units: Big units with functional kitchen. Dirty and a little dated from usage. A/C in bedrooms. There were A/C units in the main living area but we weren't allowed to use them when we asked where the controls were. "They were not included in the price" according to Mr. Alonso by text msg when I asked. So It was real hot during the day.
Service: Alonso sent someone to guide us to the units from the rental car company, which I thought was nice. But now that I think about it, he just came to pick up the cheque.

Don't rent here. Unless you want bed bugs.

1  Thank Justin C
Reviewed 18 December 2013

3 bedroom condo, ocean front was really cool. loved sitting on the balcony with a cool ocean breeze watching the waves roll in. The swimming pools and hot tubs were serviced daily and the grounds were kept in excellant shape. Shopping is within 10 minutes, ralphs and walmart, plus a large mall. Will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple