“Stay Away!!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Loiza
Ocean Point Condominiums
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Loiza
Reviewed 9 November 2008

BEWARE!! of Ocean Point Condominiums in Loiza.

We got mugged in plain daylight waiting for a traffic light, less than 1/4 mile from the resort.

Thieves broke in to our apartment and stole everything.
The police are a joke! we had to call some local friends for assistance.

It's not a hotel, but private apartments so at it's best there is 2% occupancy. At night better leave to another place.

Little did we know , Loiza has the highest crime rate on the island
and we were told of two incidents eg. people were getting shot on the beach. drug related.

Thank god we were traveling alone and left our children.
It's a shame that this experience will be deleted from this website.
But we feel responsible to warn potential renters

• Stayed: October 2008
12  Thank MrBan
Reviewed 26 October 2007

First of all I have to say "Kevin" is wonderful. ...this was a last minute "gotta get away" trip for us and Kevin was so great about everything. Our plane was delayed and he waited for us at the Avis car rental which I might add off Trip Advisor I knew to go to Hotwire.com to get a great deal on our car. We got a Mitsubishi Lancer 4door, great car for $14.00 a day, it was great!....Back to Kevin, ok he greeted us and told us to follow him. Now I do have to add that he states his place is 20 min. from the airport, to us it seemed more like 30 min. also, as we followed him and not being familiar with Puerto Rico, we were a bit nervous, it was very poor and dirty, something I didn't expect to that degree, so I was kind of disappointed but we have stayed in "other lodgings" before and have always been super happy so I figured, we were due for a "bad" one....and then he drove up to this gate and it swung open and as we entered it was very nice, it was clean and the lawns were well maintained and it was over all very nice and the facade was typical of P.R. with the colors and bars over the windows and doors....I was relieved that it was so nice.

Kevin took us to our apt/condo # 1401 it was a first floor apt/condo with 3 bedroom 2 bath with a full kitchen, dining room, living room with TV and DVD player and balcony with bbq pit and chairs and there was also a stacked washer and dryer in the unit. Kevin showed us how to operate the fans and there was also air-conditioning in all of the bedrooms. Kevin also told us we could use the food in the pantry and refrigerator if we wanted to and offered us the unopened bottle of wine on the counter too. He gave us a tour of the grounds which had 3 very nice pools, a basketball court, tennis court and weight room, with a large patio with 2 fireplaces and lots of chairs. If you walked a bit further you came to the beach which you had to go through a gate to get to, he explained that the property was private but the beach was public, so they had a fence to separate the two. It was all very nice and I was so very happy.

After Kevin left, we were surprised a few minutes later that he had returned with crackers, cheese and plantain chips and dish soap for us....what a sweetheart. There were only 2 of us so we only used the one master bedroom and the bed in that room was very comfortable -just wish the tread count on the sheets was a bit higher but it was fine for the 2 nights we were there, and having 2 bathrooms was GREAT, I got the one with the shower and he got the other with tub & shower which is off the master bedroom which made life easier. We were so comfortable and felt very secure, there were security guards patrolling the complex all the time and the pools were wonderful. The times we were on the beach, we saw no one, so in essence we had our own private beach all to ourselves....I LOVED this place and Kevin was wonderful, I would recommend this to my friends and family and I also have lots of pictures of the apt/condo and it was so reasonable too with no fees, taxes or cleaning charges added, what a great buy. As for Puerto Rico....hmmm, it’s not very clean, it’s very poor and the food was disappointing too. We only found one place the whole time we were there that served good food and that was a fast food place in the shopping mall outlet center, the fast food place was called "El Meson", it was great but we only had breakfast there. I was so disappointed in the food. The people seemed nice enough and getting around was pretty easy too but the traffic was sometimes a bit frustrating especially in Old San Juan.

We did go on the Bacardi tour, you have to catch the ferry at the #2 pier to Catano which cost 0.50 per person, the bathrooms at the pier are disgusting so try to go some where else before you get there.....anyway, then you get off the ferry and walk to the right about 1/2 a block to this bluish/green building where the cabs are and if there are more than 2 people the ride is $3.00 a person, but if its only 2 then the ride is $6 a person. When you arrive at Bacardi, you are given the option to drink your two free token drinks first then go on the free tour or take the tour first then drink, we opted for the tour first. I must say, it was a cool tour and the free drinks afterward were nice too. We were told about a Bacardi Rum Special Limited Reserve that you can only buy there it wasn’t sold anywhere in the world.....so we bought a bottle it was $69.95 and of course we bought other bottles too because they were inexpensive. They wrap them there with bubble wrap so you don't have to worry about them in your suitcase. I anticipated buying bottles so I brought some bubble wrap with me, I would recommend you do that cuz the wrap they use is little and thin and I don't think, given the way I saw some of the airline guys tossing our luggage around I would take any chances with just the Bacardi wrap. All of my bottles made it back to Washington, DC safely. Again, I have pictures of the apt./condo and will share them happily, just email me cuz I can't seem to upload them here.

In Old San Juan we ate at :
Café Berlin….we just ate there once at a brunch buffet, it was good
El Jibarito–skip it, nothing was good there but the MOFONGO (Fried crushed green plantains with garlic spices and bacon was delicious.
Los Pioneros/Taqueria Mexicana —right outside of San Juan—skip it, waste of money

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple