“Lovely stay and will definitely be back”
Review of Romanza Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Agios Stefanos
Romanza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Agios Stefanos
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay and will definitely be back”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Last month we had our 7th visit to the Romanza. It is such a lovely setting, with great friendly staff, super food, clean room, lovely atmosphere, amazing sunsets, sandy beaches....need I say more! We see it as our little piece of paradise, set in a cliff top location, and wouldn't change it for the world! It's got to be a longer stay next time though (only a week this year). Would recommend to anyone who just wants to chill and relax. Teresa and Andy Mitchell

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view. Top floors give slightly better view.
1 Thank Teresa M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
south england
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Our first trip to Corfu and we couldn't have chosen a better hotel.
The previous reviews say it all so I'll just add a few points.
Our room was great, top floor, with an amazing sea view.
We intended to buy air conditioning but the room had a separate sliding door with an insect net so we just slept with the door open and enjoyed the sea breeze.
The staff were great and went out of their way to help, preparing meals out of normal time on trip days, preparing sandwiches for our journey home, always available for a chat and advise on reception.
We only used the restaurant twice because we prefer to have stroll in the evening but the food was good and no more expensive than the main town.
We did stop by each evening for a Romanza Mojito on our way out and they were amazing.
It is at a the top of a hill and there is a steep walk to the beach and another to the town but it wasn't a problem, even though I has sprained my ankle three weeks before. We just took it slowly.
I most make a special mention re the Thompson rep Chelsea (I know she reads these posts)
She was great, she was in the hotel twice most days and was always available for a chat and to give excellent advice,

Room Tip: Top rooms appear to have been refurbished and have a superb sea view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank teachersmate
North Wales
Reviewed 6 August 2014

What can I say that hasn't been said already. Great hotel, lovely staff, excellent food and views to die for. My fourth trip and I shall be going back again when I can. Thanks to Andreas, Kate, Leo, Spiro's, Vassillis and the rest of the gang. P.S. Great Greek nights on Sundays.

Room Tip: Top rooms are the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank homerNorthWales
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed for a week and selected this hotel because of its rave reviews. Arriving at 11pm we were very grateful that we could still get something to eat. Our room was basic but fine and very clean (unrefurbished) with amazing views and 30(!) coat hangers in the wardrobe. The fridge was a little noisy and we thought it would keep us awake at night. We didn't really need it so we left it turned off for the week. The staff were very friendly and tried hard, their efforts at the evening of Greek dancing with fire effects were pretty spectacular and enjoyed by all. If you want an evening meal in the hotel, you really need to book a table. The pool is quite large and really nice to swim in, though there were very few children around during our week. The weakest point was the breakfast which is OK but basic and no choice unless you pay extra. That alone was enough to make us glad that we were not staying a fortnight. That said, this is a budget hotel so it would be unreasonable to expect a massive buffet. However some work is definitely required to make the breakfasts more palatable. One thing we hadn't realised was how big a hill it is to climb from the village to the hotel. It takes 13 minutes of hard walking - great for keeping fit however. We were thinking it would be a struggle carrying 6 large bottles of water and other groceries up the hill until we found that free delivery was offered by the supermarkets, and to our surprise they took us up in their car too! Things fell apart a bit on our last day as there was a planned electricity outage for the morning for our part of the village which the hotel unfortunately never warned us about. Since the lack of electricity also meant no running water we missed out on showers, and it was back to carrying buckets from a standpipe to flush the toilet. There are some good walks around, over the hill to Arillas, to the new port of San Stefanos, and to the nearby village of Avliotes. Overall however we had a very enjoyable week .

Room Tip: We always ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Westerleigh
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have been to san stefanos 3 times now and realise that most of the accommodation is pretty basic. However, this hotel was fine, the staff are very helpful and the views are beautiful. It is quite high up on a hill from the town and the road has hair pin bends and no path so not great if you are elderly, disabled or possibly have very young children. We've realised that getting luxury accommodation in Greece isn't easy, however if you accept that then you won't be so disappointed. The romanza is basic but pretty clean, although my daughters who were staying in a different room complained that their wardrobe smelt fusty. We had a great holiday but possibly because we had lots of family staying in the resort that made it fun. I wouldn't want to be tracking up and down that hill twice a day and we hired quad bikes which was fun and easy to zip up and down. The breakfast was also fairly basic but to be honest it was enough, the cornflakes weren't the best I've tasted and the orange juice horrible, but toast and croissants were fine. It was a bit of a pain to find that most of the sunbeds were often taken too, but you could usually find one if you were prepared to move them around to be together. I guess having stayed in San stefanos before I hadn't such high expectations. Would I stay in the romanza again? Probably not. Did I enjoy my holiday? Yes it was lovely.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cozzy64
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just returned from a week’s stay at The Romanza. We booked this accommodation purely and simply on the basis of the brilliant reviews and photographs posted on here.

I felt I had to write this (what is in my opinion, a constructive review) because I did not want anyone else to feel as disappointed with the Romanza as we were. It certainly is not as nice as described unless you are lucky enough to have one of the upgraded rooms. Don’t forget you are paying the same money whichever room you get and I certainly felt like the poor relation here! Some of the rooms are beautiful and some are definitely not!

Firstly, when I booked this holiday I did e-mail the Romanza to request a first floor room. I never received a reply to my e-mail and was very disappointed on arrival at 11pm, after a full day’s travelling, to be shown a ground floor rather dark, smelly and dingy room. When I mentioned I had requested a first floor room, I was rather curtly advised they were fully booked and basically like it or lump it. I do, however, appreciate that not all requests can be met, however, please do not think that everyone staying at the Romanza will get one of the lovely modernised rooms as advertised because we certainly didn’t. Please see my pictures below just to illustrate. I asked the next day at reception if we could move rooms and, again was told abruptly they were fully booked and to be honest I was made to feel a nuisance for even asking.

I will start with the positives which undoubtedly was the view. Fortunately, we were at the end of the ground floor block and had a lovely view of the beach and harbour below from our patio, and the view from the pool and restaurant were also lovely. Being a B&B (and I use the term breakfast rather dubiously) I thought it was nice that we were provided with a fridge (albeit a rather noisy one) and kettle (perched in the corner of the room on a wooden chair) which came at no extra cost. Not being a self-catering establishment I understand they do not have to provide these extras which were very welcome. On a night the noise from the fridge was reminiscent of listening to waves breaking on the beach!

I found the whole experience at the Romanza a money making scheme on their part. The breakfast has to be the worst I have ever experienced in Greece (20+ years) with absolutely no choice whatsoever unless you were willing to pay extra which sorry, I have already paid for the benefit of breakfast. This consisted of cornflakes, tea, coffee, and orange squash which was help yourself. We were served then by a rather miserable looking waiter who provided 4 slices of toast, butter, jam etc. each morning and either scrambled eggs one morning, 2 sausages the next, 4 rashers of bacon and a tiny croissant. It seemed a ploy to me to give the customer no choice so they would fork out for an upgrade as there were menus showing various breakfast options at an extra cost on each table? It was as though they didn’t want to offer the usual buffet style Greek breakfast as heaven forbid anyone would over indulge! I did speak to a few people who had stayed here before and was told a couple of times that the place had gone downhill and was not as good as it used to be, the breakfasts being one of the complaints.

On to our room. I found it rather bizarre that there was a shower knob located just above the spare bed in our room. It was as though the place had been modernised ?? and they couldn’t be bothered to remove the knob. The bathroom was adequate. Although we had a shower cubicle, which is a novelty for Greece, the shower head didn’t fit on the wall bracket so was rather a waste of time and we still had to shower with the one hand. There was a plastic chair, rubbish bin, mop and bucket located outside our room which remained there for the duration of our stay – why and could they not move it?. I also found the drawer and wardrobe space rather limited and very dated.

The pool was nice although I did notice quite a lot of towels on sunbeds early morning and then not being used until much later on in the day. Why do people feel the need to do this!
I found it rather amusing watching the staff moving parasols around the pool because there was a shortage of these and not all the umbrella stands had parasols fitted. Why they didn’t buy more I don’t know but if someone left their lounger to go for lunch etc they would pinch the parasol and give it to someone who had requested one.

My top tip is do not ask for a soft drink at the bar as you will not get what you are paying for. I asked for a Fanta orange which was served a glass. I didn’t give it much attention until I went back to the bar and asked for a second drink. I watched the bar man produce the remnants of a bottle of Fanta (obviously from my first drink that didn’t fit in the glass), pour this into a glass and then open a new bottle and save the remnants of that bottle behind the bar for the next customer. Basically another money making scheme and conning the customer. Buy a tin from the fridge at the side of the bar instead that way you are getting the full tin.

Otherwise an OK holiday, the resort was nice with some good bars and restaurants. The hill to the Romanza is a bit of a trek, I consider myself reasonably fit but, because it is a constant 10 – 15 minute all uphill walk, I could really feel it in my legs especially walking up and down there usually twice a day - once to get to the lovely beach and then on an evening and onto the main strip. Just my observation, but I think the restaurant at the Romanza does well because basically people cannot be bothered hiking up and down the hill as there are no taxis. The food there is Ok but nothing special and certainly no better than the restaurants we visited.

Sorry to write this review as it does seem rather negative but these are just my observations. I was so looking forward to my stay here as the reviews are really good and I was very disappointed with this place and I really felt I had to get some of these issues off my chest and to warn any future guests that the place is not as top notch as described. Some people return year in year out and basically have nothing else to compare the place to. I have certainly stayed in better places!

15 Thank LAJ52
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have just returned from two weeks at the Romanza, this being our fourth visit. The welcome received on arrival is warm and that feeling is carried right through the holiday. The staff at breakfast, evening dinner and in general situations are courteous and helpful, really very good.
The rooms are adequate, very Greek, very clean and comfortable, although the word luxury doesnt really apply. We had a bathroom which had been refurbed, and was very nice, if a little on the small size.
We decided to hire the air con unit at 35 euros a week, and this worked well during the holiday.
The hotel has a lovely pool and sunlounger area, although it has to be said, it does suffer from the towels on the beds at 7.30am syndrome. The hotel overlooks the sea from high and the views are beautiful, the sunsets made for the camera, you can choose to go to the beach each day , but please be aware if you struggle with inclines , this is a major issue to overcome at this venue.
The hotel beach path, down from the hotel is fine, but a real struggle to get back from the beach, if you decide to go via the main road, the walk down is enjoyable, the return awful, to the point where we hired a car, lifes too short to walk up that hill on holiday !!!. Wi-fi can be received in ther reception areas/lounges of the hotel, but not available in the rooms.
The food at the hotel is good, breakfast is adequate, but you can upgrade for very little, the service good , the environment outstanding overlooking the sea.
The evening offering is first class, a special of the day , or the standard menu, all really good and
served with courtesy and respect. The Romanza is a special hotel , run by kindness itself, and offers a really good holiday in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Some rooms have refurbed bathrooms
2 Thank STEVE P
Bella Vista Hotel & Studios
Terezas Hotel
Terezas Hotel
#1 of 13 in Agios Stefanos

Been to Romanza Hotel? Share your experiences!