“Wonderfully quiet hotel, perfect for a relaxing break”

and 1 more site!
SENSIMAR Grand Mediterraneo Resort & Spa by Atlantica
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ermones
North Yorkshire
“Wonderfully quiet hotel, perfect for a relaxing break”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel in the first week that it was opened/offered as part of the adult-exclusive Thomson Couples range. When you don't have children, the child-free environment in this hotel is worth its weight in gold, it's so peaceful!

It took us roughly half an hour transfer time from the aIrport and Ermones is a fairly remote location. If you want plenty of things to do within walking distance then this isn't for you. However, if you just want a quiet break to sit and chill, get booking. As another reviewer points out, the hotel rooms are set out on different levels once you enter the complex and it's quite hilly to walk up the main route into the hotel.

Arrival / Room / Reception Service
Check-in was very swift despite the fact that half of the coach seemed to get off to check in to the hotel! We had a golf buggy ride to our room which was one level higher than the main hotel building (Room 758). This was an upgrade that we took (Premier Room) which has a separate seating/sofa area and a partial sea view, it also overlooked the main entrance to the hotel. The room was lovely and clean, really comfortable beds, but when we got there it appeared to lack a safety deposit box. No problem at all. Reception sent one of the hotel guys to check this out for us and having gone out for a walk we returned to find a safety deposit box duly installed in the room, what service! The room has tea & coffee making facilities and although extra coffee appeared throughout our week, no teabags did. When I enquired about getting some I was told there was a 10 euro charge to re-stock this (which re-stocks both tea and coffee). I didn't pay this since we had ample coffee and a mini supermarket is located just at the entrance to the hotel grounds where you can get teabags for 1 euro per box! Seems a bit odd as hotels tend to replenish supplies of this type of thing automatically. One final thing about the room, it was so quiet, I never had one disturbed night's sleep. The rooms aren't in the usual hotel style where you could have a room above you with marble floors and people who walk across them noisily. Nor are there corridors outside your room.
Reception were really helpful during our stay when my husband developed toothache and we enquired about a local Chemist. We didn't need to take them up on their offer in the end, but they said they would speak to the Chemist via phone and explain the situation then send one of the hotel staff to the Chemist to pick up any medication. Reassuring that they will help in this kind of way.

Food / Restaurants
For our evening meal we only ate in the main restaurant (Medusa), which is where you also get breakfast. The food is really nice, there's plenty of choice and to be honest there were some nights there were too many good things to choose from! I'm afraid the service was appalling when we first arrived, but to be fair, this did improve as the week went on. For the first few nights we waited a good 10+ minutes after being seated to be asked what drinks we wanted, and this was only after prompting someone to attend to us. There was a distinct increase in the number of bosses watching over the staff later in the week which perhaps had something to do with the service improvement. This may just have been early season teething trouble although one waiter told us the hotel had 400 people in when we were there, which would be 600 in peak season......
We also used the poolside snack bar (Eros) for lunches and drinks. Again, the service was ridiculous initially, but did improve. They seemed to have certain waitresses who only took orders, but who also brought your drinks and food, which meant that one person was tied up really busy all the time whilst the rest just did little jobs such as clearing tables and setting out cutlery for those who were eating. By the end of the week there was a lot more 'job sharing' which helped. Cocktails are really expensive if you like this type of thing, but wine and lager are reasonable.
The Thalatta restaurant which is set down at the beach level didn't seem to be open, but on odd occassions we spotted someone in there, so can't comment on this.

Gym / Spa
If you like the odd gym workout when you're away, don't rely upon the content of the gym. It has some weights equipment, a couple of rowing machines and a few sit-back style bikes. It would benefit from a treadmill as it's so hilly around the area that you can't run outside on the flat! I'm no health freak but would have used a treadmill had there been one. My husband used the indoor pool and said that it's nice, but very cold.
We both used the spa treatments. I had a manicure and my husband had the Warrior massage which he said is "the best massage I've ever had". It's really relaxing in the spa wih cold tea and peppermint iced towels given to you when you arrive with a hot tea when your treatment is done. Note, you are asked to turn up 15 mins before your appointment time, which we didn't realise as we weren't told at the time of booking. It's mentioned on the inside cover of the spa treatment booklet which you tend to miss if you flick straight to the treatment pages. Also, if you book within the first/second day of arriving you get 10% discount off the treatment price.

Pool area
Thankfully this is one hotel that didn't suffer the 'towels on sunbeds at dawn' syndrome. You could easily find a bed even later on in the morning (again though, we were there at a quiet time of the season). The pool is lovely and clean although very very cold.

Other
There is a funicular railway that stops at 5 levels from the pool side at the top, to the beach bar at the bottom. It's very slow and takes about 15 mins from leaving the top to return. I'd recommend walking down to the beach if you can, it's quicker! There are a few tavernas down at the beach although we never tried them. The beach itself it pebbly but does have sun loungers to use.

Overall this is a really nice, quiet hotel. It was so relaxing that our week went by in a flash and I'm disappointed we weren't able to stay longer.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank woodster074

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week at the beginning of May through Thompson Holidays and we were both thoroughly impressed.

Having never visited Corfu before I was initially quite disappointed as we drove to our hotel via a fairly uninspiring back road from Cofu City, passed 'Aqualand' to Ermones however, I needn't have worried.

On arrival at the gates of the Grand Mediterraneo there is definite air of exclusivity and although there are currently many deals to be had there, it was nice to feel 'exclusive'.

Despite there being a coachload of us, check-in was swift, professional and friendly. There were staff on hand to assist with luggage and for those with rooms a little further from the main building ,drivers in golf buggies. I should explain that the hotel rooms are split between about 40 rooms in the main building to about 60 or so down the hill in the same complex, some with private pools and bathing areas etc.

Myself and my girlfriend had opted for a room with a view and during the course of the week we realised we had the best room in the joint! Room 159 was in the main building, down one flight of stairs from reception with easy access to the pool and bathing area, a short walk from the spa and an even shorter walk to the elevator for the beach. Other rooms outside of the main building I'm sure were nice but those staying in them would have to contend with 'the elevator'.

The elevator as you're able to see from photos of the hotel, runs from the top sun bathing level (5), down to the beach bar/restaurant (1). It has to be said that it is slow and unreliable, taking maybe 5-10 minutes depending on the number of passengers you pick up on the way. We only had to contend with this by choice when we wanted to visit the beach but could see that other guests on other levels who had to take the elevator for breakfast/ dinner/ the pool/ the spa were becoming increasingly frustrated throughout the week.

The beach is not an inviting one and it may just be me but what you're presented with seemed small and stoney, I was happy to be up at the very well maintained pool area back on level 5 (what you see in the pictures is what you get (for a change!))

The food in the main restaurant Medusa was great with a wide variety of options. We were disappointed with Vertigo and despite the fantastic view of the sunset, the food was not as we had expected but was on a par with the buffet restaurant.

In summary, this is an excellent hotel with a couple of minor issues such as the lift, but if you're looking for somewhere to relax for a while at a reasonable price that has the feel of a more expensive hotel then I recommend this for you. I recommend for anyone that unless you're desperate to have a 'private' pool that might be overlooked by the higher rooms you try your hardest to get a room in the main building as we found ourselves feeling lucky to be there.

A four not five star hotel.

Would I recommend this to my friends? Yes
Would I go there again? Maybe

Room Tip: Try to get room 159 for ease of access.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Justjimbob
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We went in October and the setting is lovely. I have never stayed in a hotel room with a better ocean view. The people were lovely and went out of their way to arrange dive lessons, a taverna visit, car rental, etc. It was my daughter's birthday and we were late in arriving but tey arranged for a lovely cake. I like this place. I understand it is privately owned and good to the workers. It is a huge elegant resort.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Kimberlina34
Belgium
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed in Grand Mediterraneo Resort with my girlfriend last year. We booked a one week stay in a superior room with sea view.

Before leaving I send an e-mail to the hotel asking for a room in the main building as we read about the problems with the railway to the beach. And our whishes were fulfilled. We had a great room with a magnificent view and a nice balcony.

All accommodations are modern and clean. Beach is not great (but there are a lot of magnificent beaches in Corfu so we went to explore). Good Wifi reception around the pool. The food was really good. Personnel was friendly overall, but not exceptional.

We also rented a car for one week, and this made our vacation even more enjoyable as we were able to explore the entire island.

We would certainly consider to go back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StanzoBelgium
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2011

A bit late since last August 2010, but really considering going again this Summer 2011

That said, the negatives are the funicular railway which fails to stop on request, having a mind of its own, doesn't inspire confidence with safe operation, often you are left stranded to walk up many many stairs or go nowhere. Should have lifts installed at last upgrade, it didn’t and is a major failing

One view from the hotel is over a closed adjacent hotel which looks a bit sad. The beach is sand artificially bulked up with wood shavings. The beach restaurant was bizarre and empty we never saw a diner there, really strange. My wife and I noticed that lots of nice boys turn up here without girlfriends at the beach bar on a Sunday afternoon for some reason known to them.

Best meals in Greece are always the family run Taverna's as opposed to international chains. George on the beach will be so pleased to see you at Georges, a nice guy great welcome and food. Likewise, we had some nice meals at Nausica. The lack of people in high season makes me worry, for the future of both. The position of Ermones denies a sunset to the whole bay, to be honest the beach is grotty, the sea though refreshing with smooth large round boulders. There are so many better beaches on Corfu to find easily, read Gerald Durrell to find out.

Traversing to these two tavernas is not easy if you want to keep the 'artificial' beach out of your feet. I imagine it has not been in the businesses best interests to encourage intermingling of clientele between establishments.

Paid so many Euros for eating at the hotel’sVertigo, big big mistake meant eating in the dark, a shrimp starter that had gone off into a grey putrid fleshy sludge and was replaced with apologies, followed by a tepid lobster and washed down with a warm wine. They call this Lobster Delisimo; disgustimo would be more apt. Otherwise, apart from snacks never ate expect breakfast in the hotel. THIS WAS THE BEST BREAKFAST SELECTION OF ANY HOTEL I HAVE EVER EATEN IN. Location though plagued with wasps at outside tables.

Yes I will return and use this place as base for breakfasts; I will eat elsewhere in the evenings to view the sunset, hoping that lifts are installed soon.
I love Corfu, being there in the 1970s, avoided the terrible developments, the lager louts have all gone home. The place I feel is now returning in 2010 to the people who appreciate a really beautiful island.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Travelinhopearrivein
London
Reviewed 17 December 2010

First to say that this is not a five star hotel in terms of international star rating, it may be five star in Greek tourist rating, but this should be made clear. The restaurants were OK but nothing special. Accommodation and pool were excellent, beach average. We would like to say a special word for the guys who drove the golf buggies to get guests around the sprawling grounds, courteous and efffcicient in every way, I think they rather held the place together. Two things to mention: The room we were given on arrival had air-conditioning that did not work, it could not be repaired and we were found another room the next day after a very uncomfortable first night. In a "five star" hotel this sort of thing just should not happen. When I settled our account just before leaving we were asked if we had left a tip for the restaurant the night before - we know the Greek economy is in bad shape - but that bad?

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ParsifalLondon
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 5 December 2010

I chose this hotel thinking it would have an awesome beach. Unfortunately I was disappointed by that, and the fact that the funicular was not functioning, and the fact that it rained 2 of the 3 days we were there (the first rain all summer). We had a room midway between the beach and the resort, so we had to wait for a trolley to come get us. Luckily they were usually prompt and extremely friendly drivers. The rooms are excellently appointed, the bathroom large and elegant. We were welcomed with a free bottle of wine which we enjoyed. The buffet breakfast and dinners were almost too much but the selection was perfect. While the weather didn't cooperate, I treated myself to the sauna and spa and indoor pool instead. On the one day that was sunny we tanned on the beach under hotel provided umbrellas. Careful not to stray too far from the hotel's portion of the beach or else you'll be accosted by the neighboring vendor to pay for your lounge chair. Also, there was a strange man roaming the beach, offering to give cheap massages. I did see several people take advantage of the opportunity, but am pretty sure it was not hotel sponsored. The hotel restaurant by the beach served good food and drinks, at a typical hotel price. This was a nice resort, perhaps a great getaway, but I wouldn't recommend this place to any friends from Hawaii. It is too far away from the Greece I had hoped to see, and the beach is just not that great.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TandCfromHawaii
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ermones
MarBella Corfu Hotel
#3 of 10 in Corfu Town
Delfino Blu Boutique Hotel
Delfino Blu Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in Agios Stefanos

Been to SENSIMAR Grand Mediterraneo Resort & Spa by Atlantica? Share your experiences!