“Great Two Weeks - Booo to the knockers”

Sunshine Corfu Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Nissaki
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Great Two Weeks - Booo to the knockers”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I have left writing this review for a week or more, just to make sure that what I was writing was a true reflection on what my wife and I expierenced. We have had holidays recently in Koz and Crete in the previous two years, and I thought it couldn't get much better than that. As my review title says, it was the best two weeks ever.
The transfer from the airport took about 30 minutes in an airconditioned coach, and we travelled on a Saturday. We arrived at the hotel around lunchtime, and was greeted as we alighted from the coach by 'Anna' The hotels Guest Relations Manager. What a beautiful and charming advertisement for a wonderful hotel, which was followed by a member of the reception staff who gave us a very refreshing 'Welcome' Drink and ushered us towards the desk. Looking back I could see the travellers who remained on the coach to be taken to their hotels, who had envy in their eyes. The reception staff were excellent, speaking very good English, and were always very helpful and curteous throughout the two weeks, be it asking general questions, or booking packed lunches or early breakfasts prior to day trips. These members of staff were accompanied by two lovely lads who were the porters, only too eager to help at any time of the day or night.
Our room was very clean and tidy, also spacious, with a balcony and seaview. The view had a couple of trees in the way, but we could see the sea, but the time we spent in our room, apart from sleeping, washing and changing, the view did not matter anyway. Who goes on hotel to spend their time on the balcony, not us. The rooms were cleaned and beds made daily, with towels being changed when you wanted to change them. The air conditioning worked superbly, and is worth leaving on all the time.
I have read previous reviews regarding the food at this hotel by other subscribers to this website, and I can only think that they must have had an gripe about something during their stay at this hotel, and decided to take their revenge on here. Well the food here was always superb. I could not fault any of the food which was presented to us. If they wanted their traditional 'Sunday Roast', or Bacon, Eggs, Chips and Beans, then perhaps they should of stayed at home. If you want to see and eat British, I think Newquay is the place for you.
The two bars, Main and Pool we were serviced by some really lovely people (Danni & Yanis with Martine), but then again, all the staff of the hotel, from what ever country they were from were expectional (Spanish Natalie was always very hospitable and charming in the restuarant). The two other restuarants, Italian & Greek Taverna, were well worth the attendance. I would say the Italian more so, which as well as lovely food, gave a great panoramic view over the bay over to Corfu Town, also towards the mainland of Greece and Albania. The staff at these two restuarants alternate between the two, were again very welcoming.
Moving onto the Lookea Animations Team, who were a great bunch of lads and lasses. They were all French in nationality, and used their limited english to good effect, and always wanted to use it when they could to improve. The hotel over the next two years, will be dominated by French customers, as a large French Tourist Company have pumped money into a three year contract with this hotel, and alot of the animation activities will be geared around the french, but please don't let that put you off coming here. I got stuck into some of the games and evening entertainment, and really enjoyed what ever the Lookea Animation Team arranged.
The hotel offers various watersports options, and you can use the canoes free of charge. You can also hire motorboats for a fee, as well as booking rides on the various inflatable rides from the back of a boat. But the best pastime from the private beach must be the snorkelling. I saw at least seven different species of fish, and had them eating a bread roll from my hand under the water.
A very special word must be passed to the Hotel's Own Animation Member 'Miki'. His is a lovely lad from Slovakia, who can speak eight different languages, but doesn't speak 'French', which is to his credit. He spends most of his time with guests from all other countries due to his expertise in languages. He is a very charming young man (reminds us of one of our sons) and is a credit to the hotel and his own family back home. But he is an integral member of the Animations Team as a whole when performing their duties and shows.
Some may think that I might be getting something in return for this review, and you would be right, it is the satisfaction that I have informed you of a truely wonderful holiday with some lovely new friends and people from Manchester, Derby, Newcastle and Newton Abbott. But most of all the wonderful staff at this hotel. Thank you especially to Anna and Miki.
I am seriously considering return next year to this hotel, and our three sons wish to come along also. Great Trip.

Room Tip: Old or Elderly, ask for room in main building.
16 Thank Tutts558

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We travelled to this hotel as a group of 4 (2 couples). All in all we wanted a quiet relaxing week in the sunshine and this is certainly what we got! In fact, I would go so far as to say this was a holiday of a lifetime!

Before coming we had read a few negative reviews on tripadvisor and weren't sure what to expect from the hotel. Having now stayed at this hotel, I have to ask myself what is wrong with the people who are writing these negative reviews? This hotel is fab!! OK it could probably do with a lick of paint here and there but you don't really notice because you're so impressed by food, the service, the smiley staff, the drinks, the entertainment, the stunning location and the all-encompassing sea views...I could go on and on about how great this hotel is!

On arrival we were greeted by Agnes from reception who was there to welcome us to the hotel with a refreshing drink and a lovely smile. Our luggage was then brought to our rooms by the porter.

We stayed in rooms on the 3rd floor of the main building. Rooms were huge with a balcony and a stunning sea view. There was water in the fridge on our arrival and the rooms were cleaned daily by pleasant and hardworking housekeeping staff. Air conditioning worked brilliantly and was really quiet.

The hotel has two swimming pools; one "relax" pool which is lovely and peaceful and an "activity pool" where the animation team are based for fun and dancing and activities like aqua aerobics. We spent nearly all our time at the hotel's private beach however, which was amazing as it was clean and the sea was warm, the water was crystal clear and there's great snorkelling and kayaking to be had there. There was no difficulty in getting sunbeds at the beach on any day either, even if we went down there later in the day.

The entertainment was fantastic..yes it was mainly in French at times but you have to realise that this hotel is owned and operated by a French tour company (a bit like thomas cook here) and they cater largely to French guests as a result. Despite this, the animation team made a real effort to include all guests, speaking in both English and French for the majority of the time. As I say we spent most of our time at the beach but I saw lots of English people in the activity pool having a blast of a time with the animation team so don't let the fact that they speak mainly in French put you off. They really go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great time. Also, every night the team put on a different show, encompassing everything from Irish dancing to Greek music to Karaoke. All of the shows we saw were really entertaining and we enjoyed them very much.

As for the food, there were no complaints from any of us. I don't eat meat, for example, and I was never left wanting or going hungry. On our last night the main dished in the restaurant were largely fish-based and the two men in our party were slightly disappointed as they dont eat fish. However even they had to admit that they still had a plentiful choice and really had nothing to complain about as the food all week had been so great. Yes it's true that some of the food there wasn't to our taste, but as the reviewer below me points out it's no mean feat to cater for hundreds of people from different countries at the same time. All in all we were never disappointed and every day we left feeling full and content. Breakfast was sensational and the afternoon snack bar was perhaps my favourite place to eat. Mama mia Italian restaurant (which you are allowed to visit once a week as part of the all inclusive package) was fantastic as well, with breathtaking panoramic views of the sunset over the bay.

The last thing to talk about is the wasp problem. Now I hate hate hate wasps with a passion... so much so that my friends always laugh at me because on hearing the slightest buzzing noise I will run so fast out the room that sometimes I leave a trail of upturned tables and chairs in my wake. But the wasps here were unlike nothing I'd ever experienced before...I'd even go so far as to say they were friendly! Well not quite..but they weren't agressive at all. I got quite used to them within about an hour of arriving at the hotel. A simple wave of the hand and they would continue happily on their way. The wasps really didn't bother me AT ALL while I was there. And that's something that I never ever thought I would write! I urge any people who hate wasps not to let the wasps in Corfu put them off a holiday at this hotel because it's really not an issue.

Above all this was a great holiday. I've never written a review before but I felt I had to with this hotel because they are unfairly represented on here. The staff work so hard and they don't deserve all the unfair criticism from miserable people who have nothing better to do than go on holiday and spend all their time moaning and taking pictures of barely noticeable carpet stains. If you're considering booking this hotel don't hesitate for a moment, just book it. You'll have a great time! We are talking about going back next year as it was that good, and going on the same holiday twice was something that I never thought I would see myself doing.

Room Tip: Go for main building for a guaranteed sea view. The greek village had a lot of steps and some of the...
8 Thank Leanne W
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We have just come back last week from our 3rd visit and we LOVE it. It was the second to last week before the hotel closes for the season so you would think the hotel & staff would be tired, but oh no ! All the staff and I mean everyone couldn't do enough for you from start to finish. The food was flowing, you never got time to get hungry and the variety was vast. We tended to have our lunch at the pool side taverna - the food there didn't change so much but as I say we ate there everyday and still enjoyed it. The animation team kept everyone entertained by the pool and by night they put on some amazing shows - Riverdance being our favourite. We had a room in the main hotel but we have also stayed in a bungalow amongst the beautiful gardens, on that point, if you haven't read the details before booking there are steps to consider so if you are bad on your legs I suggest you request to have a room in the main hotel. We went knowing that all we wanted to was relax all week so if you are looking for none stop shopping, cafe bars and macdonalds then you may have to take a trip into Corfu town. I probably sound like I work for the Hotel with all the positives but I am just soooo happy with it. We hope to re book for June next year, so, maybe we will see you there.
We came across some travellers who really seem to have forgotten their manners and I mean basic manners - so please be nice to them, they really long hours and really hard ( I'm sure you get more from them too the nicer you speak to them). Oh, I do have a bad point ....... we only went for one week and not two !!
Paul & Philippa Hanson

Room Tip: If you have trouble with walking up & down steps you should request a room in the main hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gustrestaurantandbar
North Staffordshire
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I really cannot understand the people who disliked the food, which is why I would like to go into some detail to describe it.

Baring in mind this is a very large hotel catering for hundreds of people from many different countries on an all inclusive basis - surely no mean feat! Each nation has its own 'norms' and customs regarding meal times and food yet everyone was very full and happy every day.

There were 5 salad stations, all with various lovely dishes and fresh vegetables (the cauliflower with sultanas and almonds was especially nice), at least 5 different types of bread to choose from. I tended to have filled up at the salad bars before I had chance to go to the hot dishes, but there were several types of meat (I can't speak for the quality of the meat as I don't eat it) hot roast vegetables, omelettes, pasta with bolognaise or plain tomato sauce, greek pies (spinach, pumpkin, cheese or meat) numerous potato dishes (always chips available for the English!) and rice dishes. Then a cheese and pickle selection as well as cakes, jellies, gateaux, apple pie, baklava, mountains of fresh fruit and 2 or 3 different types of melon. You couldn't ask for more! Breakfast was just as good and extensive.
Also, in the evening the head chef would be in the dining room making sure everyone was happy and things were running smoothly, a nice touch I thought.

The only issue food -wise was the dining room itself, lacking in character and rather dated but it is a large scale all inclusive so this is to be expected and easily rectified by getting a table near the window overlooking the beautiful view.

Now to the rest of the hotel...
On arrival at around 10pm we were greeted with a glass of orange juice with grenadine and invited to have some food which had been prepared for our arrival before we checked in. Sandwiches, crisps, salad and fresh fruit - much appreciated after a long journey. Check in was smooth and trouble free. We went to our room, basic and decor dated but perfectly adequate and the sea view was stunning. As Corfu has been enjoying unseasonably hot weather for this time of year, we out the air-con on straight away and it has to be said it is the most efficient and quietest air-con we've ever used abroad (and free of charge), some days we had to turn it off as it was cold in the room even though it was 34 degrees outside, so where the room is basic the money has obviously been spent on other, more important comforts.

The drinks were good quality, lager very good and the cocktails more than quaffable! The wine in the dining room was better quality than in other parts of the hotel and although not ‘fine wine’ it was extremely enjoyable alongside food. Water coolers all around the hotel, which they don’t mind you filling bottles from this is lovely as I’ve noticed some AI hotels can be a bit mean with water.

The location is wonderful, yes lots of steps but there are lifts if you have mobility problems, otherwise, they are quite welcome after all the food! The hotel beach is nice, especially the jetty but we tended to walk along the rocks to find little private coves where the snorkeling is amazing and the fish are stunningly beautiful! Sea shoes are recommended as the shingle/pebble beaches can be difficult but these are available from local shops for around 5 euro.

An early morning will be rewarded with a beautiful sunrise and quite probably the sight of the local dolphin pod which we were lucky enough to see a number of times.

In terms of entertainment, not our ‘cup of tea’ but the animation team are very hard working and also respectful of those (like us!) who don’t want to join in. True it is quite loud but only from 10pm and finished by 11pm. It is also restricted to the lower part of the hotel so higher up near the dining room, reception, and main bar is quite unaffected by the noise. Although it was not our thing you could see a lot of effort and care went into the productions and the children in the hotel loved it. Again, they are having to entertain such a wide group of ages and nationalities, not everyone will like it.

All the staff are excellent and so very friendly, you can see that they have real pride in what they do which makes such a difference.

On the whole, an extremely good hotel full of little touches like a bottle of water in the fridge on arrival and a free bottle of Spumante and birthday card as they noticed it was my birthday while we were there.

We would go back tomorrow if we could!

Oh and the wasps, there were quite a lot but they’re no trouble. Enjoying eating and drinking outdoors always invites some little ‘friends’ wherever you are, there’s no need to overreact.

Room Tip: The suites on the 8th floor, next the the relax pool are apparently really nice but seem a little le...
7 Thank Jess2809
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The Sunshine Hotel and Spa is a lovely situated hotel, although very steep with lots of steps and i would not recommend it if you have a disability, it certainly is not wheel chair friendly.
We stayed in a Garden room which was a bit away from the main hotel, but was quiet and all garden rooms have sea views.

It has its own beach which is accessible by lift and the sea and beach are lovely and clean with plenty of sunbeds. There is a spa at the hotel, shop, and disco which is situated outside the hotel so you do not hear any noise.

There are two outdoor pools, one is an activity pool where you can take part in the games with the entertainment staff and the other is a huge quiet pool which is lovely to swim and relax in...so best of both worlds.

The food is good and plentiful with a selection to suit all. The staff are very helpful and friendly.

The bad bits...not much apart from the cleaning in the rooms...they need to sort out the cleaners! The entertainment was all in french, so after one night we did not bother!Drinks from the bar have a good selection but the mixers were horrible and we bought our own!

Apart from that...we had a fantastic holiday and would go back.

Room Tip: All rooms and garden rooms have sea view. If you want a quiet room ask for a garden room if you don...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Floozy01
Newcastle

We visited the hotel in September 2011

Good points: The hotel is set in a beautiful location with fantastic views and the staff were helpful and friendly. The "quiet" pool was nice.

Bad points: The air conditioning in the hotel room barely made any impact and so we were very hot at night-time. The evening entertainment was very loud and made sleep quite difficult until midnight on some nights. Some of the decor was a little shabby although it was generally of a reasonable standard. There were a LOT of wasps which could be quite a nuisance when trying to relax by the pool.
The all-inclusive food was of a very poor quality and it is this that made us rank the hotel as poor. It felt like everything had been done to keep the cost to an absolute minimum and as a result it was very unappetising and compared very poorly to other similarly-priced hotels that we have stayed in previously. For this reason, we would not visit this hotel again.

1 Thank iamjustacat

Travellers are raving about these Nissaki hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2011

we have just returned from this hotel on friday 30th september.
i was very disappointed.
to start with the positives, the staff were lovely and the scenery was beautiful.
the food was good..
the negatives were, the cleanliness of the bungalows and the amount of steps to get to rooms etc.
even though the sheets and towels were changed, the floors barely got cleaned.
dust and leaves were left on the floor of our bungalow for the full week.
when using the shower, the water would come up the drain in the bathroom.
the smell in the apartment on return from being on the beach was foul to say the least.
normally i don't get bitten but i was eaten alive whilst on this holiday.
the staff do make up for some faults of the hotel and are pleasant and helpul all of the time.
i certainly would not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nissaki
Mareblue Beach Resort
Corfu Holiday Palace
Hotel Magna Graecia
Hotel Magna Graecia
#5 of 15 in Dassia

Been to Sunshine Corfu Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!